Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our fallen brothers and sisters, Honoring our friends ...
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 4 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Very sad news about his son , and then Karl (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) My condolences to his Family and friends.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 4 2019, 10:54 PM
Post #62

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Sad news. Please pass along my love and support to Susan.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 4 2019, 11:33 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

As someone who has lost a spouse to depression in this manner, it has to be really tough on Susan.

All condolences to her at this impossibly difficult time. RIP Qarl
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 5 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #64

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

RIP Qarl.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
swood
post Jan 5 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 251

This really bums me out. I named him Qarl with a Q. I’ve been off the grid for a while and am very sad to hear this. Life is a vapor...
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 5 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #66

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

This is very disturbing news. I hope that Susan gets all possible support.
Karl is finally at peace.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 6 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #67

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Truly heartbreaking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . My prayers go out to Susan. RIP my friend. You will be missed
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 6 2019, 08:05 PM
Post #68

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Damn...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 6 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Man, this is hard to read—didn't know Karl well, other than through here and FB, but his love for Hunter (no easy road) was beyond apparent and he truly seemed like one of the good great ones.

My condolences to all who were close to him…

pete
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 7 2019, 08:28 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I found these words to be beautiful and tragic...they were written after Hunter passed away. As a parent, as many of us are here, it is hard to imagine the loss of one of my children. If an admin finds this inappropriate to share...simply remove this post. So very sad...

T

"The Journey of Hunter Anthony Ellzey
…In the words of his father

18 years ago, on May 1st, 2000 Susan and I had an unexpectedly early delivery. On that day, we lost what was supposed to be our perfect son. Instead, we were given an imperfect baby boy, we named Hunter Anthony, whom would take us on a different path… a path we never anticipated… a path we didn’t know how to navigate…

Our life changed… our family’s lives changed… and we embarked on a new adventure with this little boy. On this 18-year long journey, Hunter would teach his Mother and me many things… compassion… patience… unconditional love… fighting for what was right and what was needed… and how to advocate for those that could not fight for themselves.

Hunter spent 10 weeks struggling to survive in the neonatal intensive care unit at Arnold Palmer Hospital… during that stay, a nurse pulled us aside. I remember her words clearly… “This never should have happened. Please have someone look into the incidents surrounding his birth and remember to fight for him. You will have many doors slammed in your face… many denials from insurance companies… many people telling you that he can’t have this, or shouldn’t get that… you will need to be his advocate… you will need be his eyes and ears… you will need to speak for Hunter and you will need to learn to fight for him. Never accept No as an answer.”

His mother took those words very seriously… and over the last 18 years, Susan became the fiercest Momma bear any little helpless cub could ever ask for. Nothing would stand in her way… she made sure that Hunter had what he needed, when he needed it. Even if it took every last ounce of effort, she found a way to fight for him. Hunter was always safe and protected by his Momma bear.

Hunter encountered many travelers during our journey… the most notable of which were his home nurses and caregivers. Without their love and dedication to both Hunter and our family, the journey would have been near impossible to navigate…. Adene, Debbie, Leisa, Amanda, Wilfredo and countless others cared for and loved Hunter as if he were their very own child and made sure he was clean, comfortable, and most importantly loved. We appreciate their personal sacrifice and the sacrifice of their very own families to allow them to care for Hunter, every Day and every Night, and during every holiday.

A true testament to their phenomenal care was the fact that Hunter was rarely hospitalized. We would often go years without a visit or admission to the hospital. One stretch lasted 5 years. When we brought him to the hospital, a nurse remembered Hunter (being that he was such a unique and memorable kid) and remarked something long the line of, “Wow! You haven’t been here in five years… it’s been so long, we naturally assumed that something had happened to Hunter. It’s amazing, despite his complexities, that you aren’t here more often. Your caregivers are obviously doing something right!”. And they were correct!

Hunter and Miss Adene, his longest-serving nurse had a special bond like no other… he would miss her when she was away during vacation or medical leave… and expressed excitement in his own unique way when she returned. Hunter could never speak; you could tell he was happy when he heard Miss Adene’s voice. No one, not even his own parents, could spiffy him up and make him look so well groomed and handsome, like Miss Adene. She just had a way with him… We jokingly said she would give him a wash, wax, and oil change and he always looked perfect. Susan and I will be forever grateful for her service, as well as the love and service by his entire nursing team.

His doctors, dentist, respiratory therapists, medical supply company, and office support staff always made sure Hunter was a priority and got the medical care and equipment and supplies he needed. We lost track of the thousands of prescriptions carefully compounded by the pharmacists over the years, and the dozens of pickups we had to perform each week. This boy relied upon so many people to contribute to his well-being. Thank you for all working together to help supply him for his journey.

When Hunter was about a year and a half, Susan would take him to a group therapy session at a United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) facility. It was at UCP that we met Miss Ana, who would eventually become Hunter’s teacher. Miss Ana spent nearly every Saturday coming to the house and teaching him… They worked on colors, letters, numbers, animals, state capitals, tactile sensations, and music therapy. Together Hunter and his special teacher worked on countless arts and craft projects using Hunter’s very own hands and fingers. I’m not sure how she didn’t run out of so many creative ideas… Recently, we discussed “graduation”. She proclaimed that Hunter was now 18 years old and she felt we should have a graduation ceremony for him. Miss Ana had even bought him a little cap and gown. Sadly, she wasn’t able to have that ceremony for him that they worked so hard together to get to.

Hunter was always a fighter… the first three days his little body was nearly shut down from his birth trauma. We remember at the 72-hour mark, his little body was so swollen because his kidneys weren’t functioning. He had barely peed a few ounces since he was born. His doctors told us that if his kidneys didn’t come back online soon, Hunter would pass away from the increasing levels of toxicity in his body. His great-aunt Kathy was visiting him with me in the NICU, and during that visit, he started to pee… and he peed and peed and kept peeing. His kidneys were working! I don’t think anyone was every so excited to see their little boy peeing!

After coming home, Hunter would struggle to breathe, eventually need a trach placed, which was the first of many difficult decisions Susan and I would have to make regarding his medical care… each decision taxing our minds… were we doing the right thing? were we going too far? But we always knew and felt what we were doing was right for Hunter and he would continue on his journey for as long as HE deemed necessary.

Many of you don’t know, but we came close to losing him last fall. Susan and I were visiting Tennessee with a dear friend to witness the eclipse, when we got a notification that 9-1-1 had been called at our house around 8pm. Hunter was very ill and had been rushed via ambulance to the ER. By 10:00pm, his Nurse Amanda (who was with him in the ER) told us we should drive home immediately… and she would do her best to make sure he stuck around until we got to see him one last time. After 12 hours of driving through the night, we made it to the hospital. After three days we were given dire news by his medical team… Hunter wasn’t expected to survive… and we were instructed to take him home with hospice to pass away.

Over the years, I would jokingly say that Hunter inherited his stubbornness from his Mother... and that this trait was not necessarily a bad thing. Hunter traveled his path and his journey according to his own unique plan… no one really knew what that plan was… After coming home with Hospice, Hunter decided to stick around and once again, prove his doctors wrong… He gave us another 9 months to love him, and for his nurses to provide him with extraordinary care in his own home, with his dogs sleeping at the foot of his own bed, and comforting familiar sounds that made him feel safe.

On the morning of May 8th, 1 week after turning 18 years old, Hunter decided that his journey needed to come to an end… His passing was quick and unexpected, and he was at home surrounded by his Nurse Debbie, his Momma bear and father by his side.

We want to thank everyone that supported us in caring for Hunter during his short life. What an amazing journey he took us all on and we thank everyone for experiencing that journey with him.

We especially want to thank our family for their love and understanding of the way we needed to care for Hunter… for changing the way we needed to be as a family, and for always celebrating holidays and family functions at hour house so we could celebrate with Hunter too.

Our lives will never be the same without him. Hunter defined us, and it will be a new struggle and a new journey to figure out how to continue on without him.

We love you, Hunter"
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Jan 7 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #71

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Very touching.....

RiP Karl and Hunter

Oscar
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 8 2019, 09:18 AM
Post #72

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Please
If any of our Canadian members are struggling please contact me as my wife works in mental health.
For US members I know Dr Evil has offered help in the past.
For all others please seek help, talk to someone in the mental heath field or your doctor.

We are family and we're willing to help. Please ask!
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jan 18 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #73

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Fellow 914ers, I have been around this board since Jan 2002 and there have been several things which we have faced together when our members were going through tough situations. The one I remember the most was when Hunter was born making one of our families complete. It was with great joy I read the threads regarding him and his family. I am writing this note centered around Hunter since he brought great joy to all us members.

This is a great family and it is great sorrow I am having to read about Karl. I only knew Karl through the threads which was always talking about Hunter. You could tell Hunter was his life. Deep sorrow can do strange things and lead us down a terrible path.

Susan, you are going through rough times. There is not really any way to express our deep feelings and concern we feel for what you are going through. I only know that the involvement I had with Hunter and Karl via the 914world board is something I have always cherished. Both of them through the threads gave me a greater insight into what other people have to go through and the joy it brings them.

May Hunter and Karl rest in peace with heavenly blessing.

Susan, I really do not know really how to express how much Hunter and Karl left with me and thus expressing my feelings to you for your experiencing the losses. I only know there are many on this board are there to help you as needed.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
(Shoguneagle)

P.S. I agree with Mark Henry
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 18 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #74

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2019, 07:18 AM) *

Please
If any of our Canadian members are struggling please contact me as my wife works in mental health.
For US members I know Dr Evil has offered help in the past.
For all others please seek help, talk to someone in the mental heath field or your doctor.

We are family and we're willing to help. Please ask!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
You are quite right as always. Youse folks are important.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 30 2019, 03:38 PM
Post #75

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Thanks for sharing that Tony.
I too only knew Karl from his posts and a few answers he's given me and it seems that his love for family was deep. I hope his family can find peace at this very difficult time.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jan 30 2019, 09:49 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 839

Just saw this. So Sad.
+Quote Post
type47swife
post Mar 1 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 20,507

I just hope they they've all found one another and are happily talking shop!

Attached Image

WHOA... huge picture! Not sure how to reduce here. ??
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 3 2019, 11:00 AM
Post #78

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

That would be my idea of heaven
+Quote Post
GrayMatter
post Mar 3 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 4,570

It's been hard to find to find the words but I feel I need to say something. I got in to 914's over 20 years ago. Many of the people that were so influential in my love of the car and helped me out in my inauguration to the world that is the 914 have passed. I still carry with me the screwdriver that John (Cap'n Krusty) gave me to short the starter when my 914 wouldn't start at his shop. Others that I had the pleasure of knowing and learning from, Dan (xitspd), John (otto), JP Stein, and Mark (Engman). It was hard to come back after being away for so long to find this thread. RIP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I regret not having known the others here that have passed away. Our community has always had such a family bond unlike any other car group I have ever been a part of and I am thankful for every one here.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 3 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #80

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

According to a post on the Death Fairy thread. korijo passed on March 31st 2019... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:00 PM