Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our fallen brothers and sisters, Honoring our friends ...
Jenny
post Jun 4 2019, 10:35 AM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 96
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 3 2019, 05:49 PM) *

According to a post on the Death Fairy thread. korijo passed on March 31st 2019... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Wow, I had no idea. My memory on this is fuzzy at this point (we're talking like 17 years or so ago), but I thought his participation dropped off shortly after we got the van to him. It sounds like he got to watch his family grow.

Jen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 4 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #82

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 4 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #83

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 3 2019, 06:49 PM) *

According to a post on the Death Fairy thread. korijo passed on March 31st 2019... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 4 2019, 07:20 PM
Post #84

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2019, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 3 2019, 06:49 PM) *

I would get info now and then from folks who communicated with his family. He would enjoy reading posts and our idiotic behavior in the sand box. At least he is at peace after seeing the family grow. <3
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jun 4 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #85

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 5 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #86

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Dave was a tough guy with a will to live. I doubt I could have endured it. I had a few online conversations with him when he was trying to unload some parts. Last year? IRRC his tub wound up stored in Montana.
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Jun 5 2019, 04:19 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) / (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Aug 27 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #88

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

For the record;
Ferdinand Piech, the former chairman and chief executive who built Volkswagen into one of the world’s largest carmakers, then abruptly exited just before the emergence of a historic scandal, has died. He was 82.

Piech died Sunday evening at a clinic in Bavaria after a visit to a restaurant, German daily Bild reported. His wife, Ursula, confirmed in a written statement sent through a Berlin lawyer that her husband died “suddenly and unexpectedly,” according to German news wire Deutsche Presse-Agentur. VW officials and representatives for the Piech family had no immediate comment.

Piech, the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, whose engineering firm laid the basis for the manufacturer of the 911 sports car, became VW’s CEO in 1993, when the Wolfsburg, Germany, company was mired in losses. Plagued with quality problems and high costs, VW returned to profitability by producing better vehicles without large-scale job cuts, winning Piech the allegiance of unions and shareholders alike.

Piech continued to guide strategy after becoming supervisory board chairman in 2002. His authoritarian management style and thirst for acquisitions helped VW grow into a global automotive powerhouse that outsold Toyota Motor Corp. three years ago to become the world’s biggest carmaker.

His crowning achievement was the acquisition of the Porsche brand in 2012. The purchase was the final stage in turning the tables on his cousin, Wolfgang Porsche, who had pushed the Stuttgart, Germany, sports-car producer to bid for VW four years earlier. Piech sided with the state of Lower Saxony, which owns a blocking stake in VW, to rebuff Porsche’s offer just as the suitor’s debt was surging from the takeover effort.

“His most significant achievement is that he built the largest and most successful automobile company in the world,” said John Wolkonowicz, an automotive historian who worked inside VW in Germany as a consultant in the 1990s. “And he built it from nothing.”

The combination of VW and Porsche united manufacturers that trace their roots to Piech’s grandfather, who developed the original VW Beetle car under a contract with Germany’s Nazi government in 1934.

Under Piech, VW pushed into high-end autos with the purchase of the Bentley and Bugatti nameplates. At the same time, he tightened VW’s integration of the mass-market Seat and Skoda brands. By the end of 2012, Volkswagen either owned outright or held controlling stakes in 12 vehicle brands, including supercar producer Lamborghini, heavy-truck makers MAN and Scania, and motorcycle maker Ducati.

His obsession with cars — and the desire to make the best possible ones, regardless of price — also cost VW a lot of money. With the flopped Phaeton sedan, the Bugatti Veyron supercar and Audi’s A2 hatchback, the Volkswagen group accounts for three out of the 10 biggest money losers in modern automotive history, according to estimates from Max Warburton, an analyst for Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. That’s the worst track record in the industry.

Enjoying a cult-like following within the company, Piech often got his way when he lost confidence in managers, forcing out a series of executives, including his handpicked successor as CEO, Bernd Pischetsrieder, in 2006. The supervisory board’s leadership committee surprisingly defied him in April 2015 by saying it would vote to extend Martin Winterkorn’s contract as CEO, against Piech’s wishes. Piech resigned as chairman later that month.

“If I want to achieve something, I approach the problem and push it through without realizing what’s happening around me,” he wrote in his 2002 autobiography. “My desire for harmony is limited.”

Piech’s legacy was tainted by the spectacular fallout with fellow family members and other VW key stakeholders over who was to blame for the manufacturer’s diesel emissions scandal, which has cost the company $33 billion so far and triggered the deepest crisis in its history.

Piech said he had mentioned indications of possible wrongdoing to other top officials in 2015 before U.S. authorities uncovered the large-scale emission manipulation months later, but that those warnings weren’t heeded. His allegations were denied by his cousin Wolfgang Porsche and other VW officials involved.

“Dieselgate put the final besmirchment on his career,” Wolkonowicz said. “Most people believe that because he was such a hands-on manager that he probably knew about it.”

Ferdinand Karl Piech was born April 17, 1937, in Vienna. His father, Anton, was a lawyer, and his mother, Louise, was the daughter of Ferdinand Porsche. The third of four children, Ferdinand Piech had two brothers and a sister.

After attending the Swiss boarding school Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz, near St. Moritz, from 1952 until 1958, he studied engineering at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich. In 1963, Piech went to work for his uncle Ferry at Porsche in Stuttgart, where he later became a technical manager.

Piech joined VW in 1972, when he moved to Audi from Porsche after the family decided to end its active role in the operations. At Audi, he pushed the development of the Quattro all-wheel-drive system, helping establish the brand as an innovator and later enabling it to overtake Daimler’s Mercedes-Benz in global luxury-car sales in 2011.

This year, the holding company for the Porsche and Piech family, Volkswagen’s main owners, said it may buy more shares in the carmaker. Porsche Automobil Holding, which owns about 53% of Volkswagen, said in March that VW’s market value doesn’t reflect its “vast potential.”

Piech arranged for his wife to be appointed to VW’s supervisory board in 2012. The two resigned their board seats in April 2015.

He had five children with his first wife, the former Corina von Planta; two from his relationship with Marlene Porsche, the former wife of his cousin Gerhard Porsche; three with Ursula Piech; and two other children.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 27 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Well, he procreated well...

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 27 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #90

Resident German

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 27 2019, 09:17 AM) *
... the former wife of his cousin ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 27 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #91

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2019, 11:22 AM) *
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 27 2019, 09:17 AM) *
... the former wife of his cousin ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Apparently, he thought she was a 'peach' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 24 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #92

Resident German

Just came across some old posts and realized we never added Mike Pickels to the list.

@MikeP
Died Aug. 19, 2010, age 32

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 24 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #93

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 27 2019, 01:53 PM) *

Well, he procreated well...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 11 2019, 03:57 AM
Post #94

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 24 2019, 10:58 AM) *

Just came across some old posts and realized we never added Mike Pickels to the list.

@MikeP

I remember his posts but do not remember what happened to him.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 11 2019, 12:11 PM
Post #95

Resident German

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 24 2019, 08:58 AM) *

@MikeP

Here he is helping Dave Darling loading my engine onto the truck the day i picked it up from Jerry Woods. (Bill Pickering is delegating)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-11-1137903683.jpg)

+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 11 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #96

Get that VIN ?

Hoch Meng Foong, aka Meng, of Singapore recently passed away. Meng’ s work frequently brought him to Southern California. He attended several of Joe Sharps bar-b-ques in Huntington Beach. I first met Meng at the German Auto Fest in Ventura.
His car was a ‘75 conversion with RH drive, After a crash several years ago, he completely rebuilt the car with the help of Bruce Stone.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 11 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Godspeed fellow Teener Brother!!!

Cracker
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 11 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #98

Get that VIN ?

Meng with Carson Chan at 2019 Rennsport at 914 coral

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1573670504.jpg)

And pic of Meng and Joe Sharp. Whenever Meng visited the US from Singapore, he would visit Joe Sharp and ship for parts

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 9 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #99

Resident German

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2775865

Anyone know Paul's full name?

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 10 2020, 07:36 AM
Post #100

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Paul Bjork have his number in my phone. I lost touch with him. We met up a few times when I was working storm claims in the Metro. His car is an awesome build.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:17 AM