Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Saving Babydoll
zymurgist
post Jun 15 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #1

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I'm trying to help out a friend here. She has had a 914 for a few years now... she bought the car as a weekend toy. Never mind the fact that it was almost 30 years old, since she has a few Porsche freaks... erm, I mean friends... to help her out with maintenance.

Babydoll, as her white '74 2.0 is affectionately known, sadly has rust in all the usual places. But we're not going to go there, at least not in the immediate future. What I'm trying to do is to get the mechanicals in good shape so the car can be used as a weekend joyrider. The engine was rebuilt a few years ago with Euro pistons & cylinders, and it runs as smoothly as you can expect from a 4-banger. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

It started with an oil leak onto the clutch. Normally this is a "drop the engine, fix the problem, put it back in" kind of deal, but since we're doing this in my 2-bay garage, and I already have 2 toys of my own in it, we have to play a logistics game. We dropped the engine/tranny and rolled the car out of the garage, allowing my poor sick 911 to be coaxed back under cover. Babydoll got a car cover and then a plastic tarp to keep the rain off.

So now her 2.0 drivetrain is sitting on my floor, and I'm going over it, trying to make sure that the hoses are in good shape because she has complained of chronic fuel leaks. Lo and behold, I found that all of the injection hose is 5/16" hose that is clearly marked as 7.93 mm... factory spec is 7 mm, so this hose is almost 1mm too large. There is one piece of 7mm hose, but it looks really really old, so all that hose has to go! I'm also going to replace all the worm type clamps with proper fuel injection clamps. Also going to pull the injectors and have them checked out. When they go back in they will get new seals. That, I think, should fix any fuel leaks on the engine.

The emissions hose is all there, but I'd like to replace it if I can find a nice factory-type sheathed hose in 13mm, although 1/2" would be OK if it's got that sheath on the outside. The only thing missing is the deceleration valve, but my research indicates that this isn't strictly necessary. No emissions on antique cars in Virginia.

When I get around to separating the engine and tranny, I plan to clean the heck out of the flywheel and pressure plate; replace the flywheel seal and O-ring; replace the clutch disc and throwout bearing; and check the oil galley plugs and goop them up if necessary.

Does this sound like a good plan? Are there any "while I'm in there" things that I should attend to? I don't want to have to drop her engine for a long time, especially since I may be dropping my 911 engine (to fix oil leaks, why else?) this winter.

Oh yeah... I consider engine drops and reinstalls to be 2 person jobs, so I schedule that work when my friend can come over and help me. That way somebody can call 911 (EMS, that is, not my car!) when I drop an engine on my foot.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
zymurgist   Saving Babydoll   Jun 15 2005, 05:19 AM
Verruckt   ...   Jun 15 2005, 07:02 AM
DNHunt   Ken You be careful when you work on that car. 914...   Jun 15 2005, 07:12 AM
Bleyseng   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/h...   Jun 15 2005, 08:01 AM
scott thacher   hagerstown, i am 1 hour away in baltimore and i w...   Jun 15 2005, 08:42 AM
zymurgist   ...   Jun 15 2005, 08:49 AM
zymurgist     Jun 15 2005, 08:59 AM
zymurgist     Jun 15 2005, 09:14 AM
scott thacher   i will start in reverse yes you can change the se...   Jun 15 2005, 09:28 AM
type47   hi ken, this is jim, babydoll's owners friend....   Jun 15 2005, 10:13 AM
zymurgist   Thanks, Jim. She left a big white binder full of ...   Jun 15 2005, 11:08 AM
zymurgist   OK, I have a question. Babydoll's flywheel lo...   Jul 10 2005, 08:01 PM
zymurgist   Trying to post a picture.   Jul 10 2005, 08:04 PM
zymurgist   ...and another. Trying to get a good view of the ...   Jul 10 2005, 08:08 PM
zymurgist   OK, I have a question about the driver's seat ...   Aug 11 2005, 05:11 AM
zymurgist   Here's a closeup of the area in question. It ...   Aug 11 2005, 05:13 AM
tat2dphreak   yea, there should be a little hook looking thing t...   Aug 11 2005, 09:40 AM
type47   try here for 914 workshop manual, etc http://www....   Aug 11 2005, 11:13 AM
zymurgist   The hook is there... it appears to have been retai...   Aug 11 2005, 01:46 PM
tat2dphreak  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:42 AM