Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2 Port Fuel Pump Conversion Revisited, Yea,...ANOTHER fuel pump thread!
914bub
post Aug 26 2018, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

I know there are a lot of fuel pump conversion threads already, concerning both 2 port conversions and pump relocation. I'm about to wrap mine up soon. My car is a 72, 1.7 with stock fuel injection. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or over think this but I'm wondering why people use the fuel filter they do when converting?

I went with the standard recommended Napa,(square) filter and Bosch 2 port pump. The pump is selling on Amazon now for $56 prime. Hard to beat! I know the stock filter is the same design as the recommended filter when converting. Is that the reason people go with that filter? It doesn't make sense to me to step down the size on the line that runs through the tunnel only to step it back up at the filter.

In other words, if the line running through the tunnel is 10mm and the fuel pump inlet is 10mm why not use a filter that has 10mm in and out? I had to go to 6, yes SIX different hardware and auto parts stores before the 6th had the fittings needed to make a simple 5/16-3/8 brass fitting.

I looked on ebay and found motorcycle filters that are 10mm in and out. I know what your thinking, a motorcycle filter isn't going to cut it but the ones I found are 96mm long,(including nipples) so I've gotta believe it easily has as much filtration surface area as the square filter. My other concern was that the filter is probably for carburated bikes but since the filter is on the suction side of the pump would that matter? I know it needs to flow a lot of fuel but it's not on the high-pressure side of the pump.

Here's my setup. Why can't the step fitting be eliminated and a different filter be used? Someone must have come up with a better set up I would think.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:43 PM