Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 Port Fuel Pump Conversion Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I know there are a lot of fuel pump conversion threads already, concerning both 2 port conversions and pump relocation. I'm about to wrap mine up soon. My car is a 72, 1.7 with stock fuel injection. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or over think this but I'm wondering why people use the fuel filter they do when converting?

I went with the standard recommended Napa,(square) filter and Bosch 2 port pump. The pump is selling on Amazon now for $56 prime. Hard to beat! I know the stock filter is the same design as the recommended filter when converting. Is that the reason people go with that filter? It doesn't make sense to me to step down the size on the line that runs through the tunnel only to step it back up at the filter.

In other words, if the line running through the tunnel is 10mm and the fuel pump inlet is 10mm why not use a filter that has 10mm in and out? I had to go to 6, yes SIX different hardware and auto parts stores before the 6th had the fittings needed to make a simple 5/16-3/8 brass fitting.

I looked on ebay and found motorcycle filters that are 10mm in and out. I know what your thinking, a motorcycle filter isn't going to cut it but the ones I found are 96mm long,(including nipples) so I've gotta believe it easily has as much filtration surface area as the square filter. My other concern was that the filter is probably for carburated bikes but since the filter is on the suction side of the pump would that matter? I know it needs to flow a lot of fuel but it's not on the high-pressure side of the pump.

Here's my setup. Why can't the step fitting be eliminated and a different filter be used? Someone must have come up with a better set up I would think.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Almost exactly what I did.

Mounted in on the passenger side of the firewall so the filter could easily be accessed.

Been great for 6 years like that. I used the ethanol resistant fuel line.
914bub
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 26 2018, 11:08 AM) *

Almost exactly what I did.

Mounted in on the passenger side of the firewall so the filter could easily be accessed.

Been great for 6 years like that. I used the ethanol resistant fuel line.

Yea, I'm going to mount mine where you're talking about. I'll shoot pictures once it's installed. If you posted a picture of yours in the past your picture may have been one I referenced when I researched this. Any chance your car is Tangerine or green?
914bub
@JeffBowlsby . Sorry to tag you in this thread but I bet you've got the best advice
EdwardBlume
I went from 3 port to 2 port and had to wrap around what seemed like a lot of fuel hose, but it all works fine. Used ties and claps to keep it in place.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=262937&hl=
ChrisFoley
The pump inlet is 12mm, not 10mm. Stretching 9.5mm alcohol resistant hose to fit a 12mm fitting is likely to damage the polymer liner.

When I sell a stainless fuel lines kit to go with a 2 port pump I size the individual components to require the least transition pieces possible for the specific combination of model year and pump location.

I sell stainless adapters with 8mm at one end and 9.5 at the other end.
They aren't cheap but could have saves you 6 trips to different stores.
JeffBowlsby
Can't help you with a FP conversion but I am sure they can be made to work. My 914's have always been 100% stock - as long as the correct part is available on this earth, I will stick with 3 port pumps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.