Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to cool off, and maximize your 914 driving pleasure
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 13 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 13 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Interestingly enough they provided a guide to show how to cut down the center gauge consuls I have a copy of it some where. But did they actually provide the rings shown in the picture?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 13 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

yes the top to the console and the gauge holder were provided in the kit.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 13 2018, 09:10 AM) *

Interestingly enough they provided a guide to show how to cut down the center gauge consuls I have a copy of it some where. But did they actually provide the rings shown in the picture?

+Quote Post
pete000
post Sep 13 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

So glad my cars never got this option !
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 13 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

the problem was that it was never a factory installed system, but rather at the dealer. One would never know what butcher (or artist) mechanic they would send out there to cut all of the holes in the 914, as well as cut down the console equipped cars. We have seen everything from butchery to artistry in the installations. I am sure that if the 914 had continued it would have been in 77 integrated into the dash along with the speakers in the doors, and the 911 five lug wheel option
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 13 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 13 2018, 08:56 AM) *

George,

I like the improvements that DPD did over the VPC units, including the conical cover on the front trunk evaporator (condenser?) to allow the spare tire to nest down in almost the factory position (vs. VPC's flat-topped one), that they centered the controls under the dash heat/vent controls & center console gauges below, & put the leftmost vent over farther in front of the driver (VPC's controls are out-of-line offset to the right & leftmost vent is further away from the driver & off to the right).

Does AA still sell those updated "modern" DPD style 914 AC set-ups with the rotary compressors, to add to our 914s?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 14 2018, 08:29 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hopefully the folks making the electric compressor AC for the 911 will be able to come up with a system for the 914. Not having to run AC lines to the back and have the entire system in the front trunk would make for a very neat installation.
+Quote Post
carking1996
post Sep 14 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,399
Region Association: North East States

My car's A/C doesn't even turn on.. that's about to change, though.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 14 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #9

TMI....

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 14 2018, 07:29 AM) *

Hopefully the folks making the electric compressor AC for the 911 will be able to come up with a system for the 914. Not having to run AC lines to the back and have the entire system in the front trunk would make for a very neat installation.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) George (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 14 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #10

TMI....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) Calling George Hussey .... Question on Aisle One! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) - please see my prior post's question on new 914 AC system availability below. ----v

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 13 2018, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 13 2018, 08:56 AM) *

George,

I like the improvements that DPD did over the VPC units, including the conical cover on the front trunk evaporator (condenser?) to allow the spare tire to nest down in almost the factory position (vs. VPC's flat-topped one), that they centered the controls under the dash heat/vent controls & center console gauges below, & put the leftmost vent over farther in front of the driver (VPC's controls are out-of-line offset to the right & leftmost vent is further away from the driver & off to the right).

Does AA still sell those updated "modern" DPD style 914 AC set-ups with the rotary compressors, to add to our 914s?

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 14 2018, 09:00 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

I agree as well, certainly a rigged up system on the 914 back then./

We do sell the modern systems with r134 and radial compressor. Install a bit better but still the front trunk rear compressor long ac lines under the rocker panel

Beats however the 916, that has the compressor on the left behind the driver with the firewall cut and a fiberglass hump to let the compressor clear. THEN the ac lines were run down the center of the bottom of the floor pan with a ragged cover over them!!!! And BRUMOS did this!!!!!!

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 14 2018, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 14 2018, 07:29 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) George (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 14 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 14 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Our shop has done 3 of those units in 911’s and I’ve talked to Johnny about the 914 option. He has to make a different air box to fit so it’s in the works but his priority is 911’s. I’m not sure it will ever work for a four. The minimum alternator output is from a Carrera 3.2 or 964 3.6. If you have a 3.0 or smaller, you need to upgrade the alternator for a higher output one. Also the system is about $4K so it’s not a low budget item. We’ve talked about the compressor under the rear trunk above the right axle and the evaporator in the right rear fender, ahead of the wheel like the oil tank is mounted on the left side. That way you wouldn’t be running lines up and down the car. I told him I want the first one ready for a 914.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 14 2018, 09:32 AM
Post #13

TMI....

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 14 2018, 08:00 AM) *

I agree as well, certainly a rigged up system on the 914 back then./

We do sell the modern systems with r134 and radial compressor. Install a bit better but still the front trunk rear compressor long ac lines under the rocker panel

Beats however the 916, that has the compressor on the left behind the driver with the firewall cut and a fiberglass hump to let the compressor clear. THEN the ac lines were run down the center of the bottom of the floor pan with a ragged cover over them!!!! And BRUMOS did this!!!!!!

Thanx George H!

I asked because the last time I looked for them on the AA site to refere someone to you/them, the old link was a dead end, & nothing came up on a website search with your new website.

Please post links for them, so I can re-bookmark them. As I recall you had 2 versions, with either 1 or 2 condensors as the 2 options.

Thanx! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 04:37 PM