Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1971 914-4 won't fire, car has been sitting since 2002
sgtjelange
post Sep 19 2018, 10:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,503
Region Association: None

Hello, my name is Jon and I am new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I came here because I really need help. I have a 1971 914 1.7L with original paint and original fuel injection. I purchased the car in 1998 while in CA in the USMC, used the car daily until 2002 when I was discharged and parked the car in a barn MI till 2018. I just started working on the car and have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, fuel filter, fuel, fuel pump, oil, oil filter, and fuel injectors. I checked the timing by setting #1 to TDC and used the mark on the distributor aligned with the rotor. I set the points to .016 and adjusted the fuel pressure to 28 PSI.

My problem is that the car just won't start. There is good spark at every cylinder. while cranking the fuel pump holds 28 PSI attempts to fire for about a 1/2 second and then nothing. But if I pump the the pedal while starting it will kind of stay running but barely, the fuel pressure will drop, and it will backfire through the manifold. I hate to sound desperate because this whole thing is my fault for waiting so long but my daughter is a senior on homecoming court and said if that ever happened she wanted to parade in my porsche. Well that day actually came Friday 9/21/18! and now I am scrambling. I procrastinated way to long on this car. Please help if you can. I would appreciate it.

Jon
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:03 PM