Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 914-4 won't fire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgtjelange
Hello, my name is Jon and I am new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I came here because I really need help. I have a 1971 914 1.7L with original paint and original fuel injection. I purchased the car in 1998 while in CA in the USMC, used the car daily until 2002 when I was discharged and parked the car in a barn MI till 2018. I just started working on the car and have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, fuel filter, fuel, fuel pump, oil, oil filter, and fuel injectors. I checked the timing by setting #1 to TDC and used the mark on the distributor aligned with the rotor. I set the points to .016 and adjusted the fuel pressure to 28 PSI.

My problem is that the car just won't start. There is good spark at every cylinder. while cranking the fuel pump holds 28 PSI attempts to fire for about a 1/2 second and then nothing. But if I pump the the pedal while starting it will kind of stay running but barely, the fuel pressure will drop, and it will backfire through the manifold. I hate to sound desperate because this whole thing is my fault for waiting so long but my daughter is a senior on homecoming court and said if that ever happened she wanted to parade in my porsche. Well that day actually came Friday 9/21/18! and now I am scrambling. I procrastinated way to long on this car. Please help if you can. I would appreciate it.

Jon
ctc911ctc
Next stop is Injectors, do not unhook them, just remove one at a time and look at the spray they create when you crank the engine. Remove the Ignition coil wire first. Have them spray into a bottle- baby food jar or similar. Sound like they may be plugged from the gas left in them. If they are not spraying (mist) they will need cleaning and/or rebuilding and/or replacement. I know you mentioned 'replaced' however, I would check them.

Mission Prom Parade!

QUOTE(sgtjelange @ Sep 19 2018, 10:02 AM) *

Hello, my name is Jon and I am new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I came here because I really need help. I have a 1971 914 1.7L with original paint and original fuel injection. I purchased the car in 1998 while in CA in the USMC, used the car daily until 2002 when I was discharged and parked the car in a barn MI till 2018. I just started working on the car and have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, fuel filter, fuel, fuel pump, oil, oil filter, and fuel injectors. I checked the timing by setting #1 to TDC and used the mark on the distributor aligned with the rotor. I set the points to .016 and adjusted the fuel pressure to 28 PSI.

My problem is that the car just won't start. There is good spark at every cylinder. while cranking the fuel pump holds 28 PSI attempts to fire for about a 1/2 second and then nothing. But if I pump the the pedal while starting it will kind of stay running but barely, the fuel pressure will drop, and it will backfire through the manifold. I hate to sound desperate because this whole thing is my fault for waiting so long but my daughter is a senior on homecoming court and said if that ever happened she wanted to parade in my porsche. Well that day actually came Friday 9/21/18! and now I am scrambling. I procrastinated way to long on this car. Please help if you can. I would appreciate it.

Jon
sgtjelange
I have not tried that because I assumed since they were brand new as well that they would just work as they should. I will try that tonight. To be clear all of this sounds like a fuel problem to you?

Jon

[quote name='ctc911ctc' date='Sep 19 2018, 12:11 PM' post='2650186']
Next stop is Injectors, do not unhook them, just remove one at a time and look at the spray they create when you crank the engine. Remove the Ignition coil wire first. Have them spray into a bottle- baby food jar or similar. Sound like they may be plugged from the gas left in them. If they are not spraying (mist) they will need cleaning and/or rebuilding and/or replacement. I know you mentioned 'replaced' however, I would check them.

Mission Prom Parade!

DRPHIL914
If it is D-jet then It possible that the MPS is shot, it wont start with out a good MPS< it will default to rich and not run. In this scenario you will have good spark good fuel pressure( I hope you cleaned the tank and rreplaced the fuel filter and lines too!) but it wont run. - This was my car's problem after sitting just a couple years, - I bought it from a marine that took it from 29Palms to Camp Legeune NC , and it sat for a couple years . SO I bought it and took it home, could not get it to run, I did all the stuff you did but still no go, but looked up PB Anders site , learned more about the 2.0 d-jet , bought a replacement rebuilt MPS and the car fired right up upon plugging that in. Maybe someone could send you this asap, but unless you have also bled the brakes and made sure the calipers were not frozen up you probably , I hate to say it, should not have this car on the road with out doing that too!.

Hope you can get it running, if you are up in NE there are a lot of members and someone may have a 1.7 spec MPS
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sgtjelange @ Sep 19 2018, 12:02 PM) *

Jon

if the fuel pressure is dropping then your pump might not be working OR easier yet upon putting the tank back in there is a pinched line, if too long they will bend and pinch when putting the pump in- I had this happen the first time I reinstalled my pump too- that might be all it is! pull tank up a bit with out disconnecting anything and see if it starts and runs, if it does there is your issue!
sgtjelange
I am in northern Michigan. I do have the early jetronic injection system. I see I can get an MPS on Ebay but it will never be here on time. I appreciate your knowledge of the same exact situation I am in.

Jon

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 19 2018, 12:32 PM) *

If it is D-jet then It possible that the MPS is shot, it wont start with out a good MPS< it will default to rich and not run. In this scenario you will have good spark good fuel pressure( I hope you cleaned the tank and rreplaced the fuel filter and lines too!) but it wont run. - This was my car's problem after sitting just a couple years, - I bought it from a marine that took it from 29Palms to Camp Legeune NC , and it sat for a couple years . SO I bought it and took it home, could not get it to run, I did all the stuff you did but still no go, but looked up PB Anders site , learned more about the 2.0 d-jet , bought a replacement rebuilt MPS and the car fired right up upon plugging that in. Maybe someone could send you this asap, but unless you have also bled the brakes and made sure the calipers were not frozen up you probably , I hate to say it, should not have this car on the road with out doing that too!.

Hope you can get it running, if you are up in NE there are a lot of members and someone may have a 1.7 spec MPS

DRPHIL914
Well just check the hose first. I would post a WTB ad here in Classifieds before buying over the internet - you want one that is Vac tested and preferred rebuilt with and Chris Foley/Tangerine racing diaphragm and also then retuned to stock spec.

Check with Jeff bowlsby here, he may have one and it might cost a few extra $$ but could overnight ship it

Phil - I would send you one of mine but I have a 2.0 and it would not work well with your 1.7

QUOTE(sgtjelange @ Sep 19 2018, 12:50 PM) *

I am in northern Michigan. I do have the early jetronic injection system. I see I can get an MPS on Ebay but it will never be here on time. I appreciate your knowledge of the same exact situation I am in.

Jon

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 19 2018, 12:32 PM) *

sgtjelange
I actually found a MPS on ebay from a company in MI and they are going to overnight it. I have my fingers crossed. Thank you very much!

Jon

if the fuel pressure is dropping then your pump might not be working OR easier yet upon putting the tank back in there is a pinched line, if too long they will bend and pinch when putting the pump in- I had this happen the first time I reinstalled my pump too- that might be all it is! pull tank up a bit with out disconnecting anything and see if it starts and runs, if it does there is your issue!
[/quote]
DRPHIL914
[quote name='sgtjelange' date='Sep 19 2018, 01:31 PM' post='2650225']
I actually found a MPS on ebay from a company in MI and they are going to overnight it. I have my fingers crossed. Thank you very much!

Jon

[/quote]
[/quote]
Great! popcorn[1].gif
sgtjelange
It is only dropping when pumping the pedal to keep it firing (can't say running), but on regular cranking it holds 28 PSI like it's welded there.

Jon

[/quote]
[/quote]
Great! popcorn[1].gif
[/quote]
Tdskip
Welcome, and thank you for your service
Tdskip
Welcome, and thank you for your service
dr914@autoatlanta.com
sounds like you are losing fuel pressure and running the car on the throttle switch. First thing you need to do is make sure that you have steady 28lb fuel pressure and then go from there. Maybe you are losing power to the pump or a line is pinched

QUOTE(sgtjelange @ Sep 19 2018, 09:02 AM) *

Jon

ctc911ctc
MPS is a great device and a root of various evils.....I agree - check the MPS.

START HERE -> https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/manif...sure_sensor.htm

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 19 2018, 10:32 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.