Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good place to mount an aftermarket fuel pump?
Tdskip
post Sep 28 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(napasteve @ Sep 28 2018, 06:21 PM) *

I used Jawja's picture as a template and put my replacement pump in the same spot. I've had no problems since installation (once I unkinked the fuel line under the gas tank).

Thanks - how did you get the mounting bolts on to the firewall?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Sep 28 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #22

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

I used a probably unconventional, non-mechanic, low-experience approach. I decided exactly where I wanted the pump and I had a clamp for the pump (my memory of where I came up with the clamp is cloudy). I drilled a hole thru the firewall from the engine compartment side (actually a double wall I discovered, shows you how little I know about our 914s) and thru the back pad behind the passenger seat. Then I hole-sawed from the passenger side bay back pad so that i could put a nut on the bolt that held the clamp that held the pump. I covered the hole behind the passenger seat back pad with some heavy big electrical tape. Not the most elegant solution but WTF McMark moved to Michigan and I was on my own.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 28 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(napasteve @ Sep 28 2018, 10:12 PM) *

I used a probably unconventional, non-mechanic, low-experience approach. I decided exactly where I wanted the pump and I had a clamp for the pump (my memory of where I came up with the clamp is cloudy). I drilled a hole thru the firewall from the engine compartment side (actually a double wall I discovered, shows you how little I know about our 914s) and thru the back pad behind the passenger seat. Then I hole-sawed from the passenger side bay back pad so that i could put a nut on the bolt that held the clamp that held the pump. I covered the hole behind the passenger seat back pad with some heavy big electrical tape. Not the most elegant solution but WTF McMark moved to Michigan and I was on my own.

Hey - it worked and you got to drive the car. Sounds good to me!

Thanks for following up.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 2 2018, 08:28 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Steve - I had a chance to look at your link, the winery looks fantastic!
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Oct 2 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #25

914 driving winemaker

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 2 2018, 07:28 AM) *

Steve - I had a chance to look at your link, the winery looks fantastic!

Thanks. My wife Carole did the website. You can also follow Lagier Meredith on FB. We're releasing our 2016 wines today!
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 2 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 2 2018, 10:50 AM) *

Thanks. My wife Carole did the website. You can also follow Lagier Meredith on FB. We're releasing our 2016 wines today!

Congratulations!
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Oct 2 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #27

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 28 2018, 12:35 PM) *

I mounted mine to the firewall over twenty years ago. I removed the interior back pad and drilled two holes. Used very big flat washers inside with the bolt head. Created a small bracket for the fuel filter which makes changing easy.

I used to have vapor lock issues but since moving it the new location over twenty years ago I have never had another vapor lock and I live in the very hot humid south.

Since this picture was taken, I replaced my cooling flaps with new ones from 914rubber.

I am doing this right now. same spot. trying to see how you routed your fuel lines?
I have new stainless lines in. the return line goes no where. the feed line is slightly longer and I was going to cut it 4 inches shorter, then have short hose to filter, short hose to pump, then out.

For mounting, I want to use the rubber isolator mounts, but I don't think the threaded ends are long enough to reach through the firewall.
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Oct 2 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #28

914 driving winemaker

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 2 2018, 10:49 AM) *

I mounted mine to the firewall over twenty years ago. I removed the interior back pad and drilled two holes. Used very big flat washers inside with the bolt head. Created a small bracket for the fuel filter which makes changing easy.

I used to have vapor lock issues but since moving it the new location over twenty years ago I have never had another vapor lock and I live in the very hot humid south.

Since this picture was taken, I replaced my cooling flaps with new ones from 914rubber.

I am doing this right now. same spot. trying to see how you routed your fuel lines?
I have new stainless lines in. the return line goes no where. the feed line is slightly longer and I was going to cut it 4 inches shorter, then have short hose to filter, short hose to pump, then out.

For mounting, I want to use the rubber isolator mounts, but I don't think the threaded ends are long enough to reach through the firewall.

The cleanest job I've seen is that done by simonjb. Here is a pic from his reassembly thread post #1. I may get a couple of SS U-tubes like he has and redo my fuel line route. Or maybe I'll just drive it as is....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Oct 2 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #29

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

That’s perfect. Thanks.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Oct 3 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #30

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

Where does one get stainless steel tubes like the ones shown? Any time I've tried to bend tubes that much they get kinks in them.

QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 2 2018, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 2 2018, 10:49 AM) *

The cleanest job I've seen is that done by simonjb. Here is a pic from his reassembly thread post #1. I may get a couple of SS U-tubes like he has and redo my fuel line route. Or maybe I'll just drive it as is....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
napasteve
post Oct 3 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #31

914 driving winemaker

http://www.tangerineracing.com

I'll bet Chris has everything you need and he's very helpful if you have questions. JoeBob sez check it out.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 4 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

[quote name='914 RZ-1' date='Oct 3 2018, 09:48 PM' post='2654344']

Attached Image
[/quote]
[/quote]

Similar to the 928 set up actually.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:53 AM