Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Warning: Check Your Bumper Tops, Probably old hat, but just in case...
GregAmy
post Oct 1 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Just a heads-up...

I was driving the street car to the German Club yesterday (Oktoberfest!) on the interstate. Merged onto the highway behind a big rig, and just as I popped out to the left of the trailer into its turbulence there was a flash and my front bumper top departed the car! However, instead of fully departing it had peeled off from right-to-left and the left fastener was still attached and it was flopping to the left side of the car...dammit!

Fortunately, it has enough mass that it did not beat the side of the car (or get caught under the front wheel). I slowed down to 55-60 and got off the next exit, and it fell to the ground as I came to a stop.

Gave it a quick examination and it was clear what the failure mode was: all the studs/fasteners had rusted through and failed and separated from the bumper. I can take photos if desired.

I knew it was crunchy and needed replacement; both front and rear tops are my Christmas list. I had no idea that it had degraded underneath to the point where it would depart the car.

I recommend doing a quick pull on yours to verify your fasteners are secure and it's not ready to come off...

GA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bretth
post Oct 1 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yikes. Good to know.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 1 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

yes these rust internally because the skeleton is mild steel and the rubber material porous . The new seals are made of water proof material and stainless spine so will be good for years and NOT rust, No blowing off of these

As a side note will never forget the time I proudly installed new windshield chrome on my 914 drove down the interstate and it blew off and a truck ran it over. Did not replace the 19 windshield clips

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 1 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My PO secured it with liquid nails (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 1 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Representative pic on how it failed...only the far right one (not in this pic) looks like it was still attached, and the trailer turbulence ripped it off.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 1 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

This is the downside of "repairing" your bumper. If you keep an eye on it you can get away with it, but it's a risk.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 1 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Mine are NOS so still the mild steel. I got the last set Aase sold I’m told. None the less, I’m hoping to get by on no drives in anything but sunshine, and no wet washes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 1 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 1 2018, 11:01 PM) *

Mine are NOS so still the mild steel. I got the last set Aase sold I’m told. None the less, I’m hoping to get by on no drives in anything but sunshine, and no wet washes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

west coast vs east coast. You win.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 2 2018, 11:52 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2018, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 1 2018, 11:01 PM) *

west coast vs east coast. You win.

haha

tha last bumper top I got from Aase has squirter mount holes..
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 2 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

On a scale of 1-10, what was the "Pucker Factor" when that happened? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 2 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Wow that had to cause the ol' sphincter to pucker a bit. Glad no damage was done to your car and you safely got the car pulled over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 2 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 2 2018, 02:00 PM) *

On a scale of 1-10, what was the "Pucker Factor" when that happened? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Wife yelped...then looked over at me. Said later she thought I was being pretty cool about the whole thing...

...while deep inside I'm thinking, "motherhumper if that heavy thing pops off it's gonna hurt someone back there and gadammit now I gotta cut across the nose of that truck to get over to the shoulder shit it's all guardrail around here where in the hell am I going to go crap that damn thing is still hanging on I really hope it's not hurting the paint dammit what if it gets caught in the strut or steering sonofabitch where is that damn exit wow I hope we're not going to miss the event 'cause I heard they have the latest Spaten Oktoberfest on tap...mmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer."

It was tasty.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 2 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #13

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 2 2018, 01:32 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Wife yelped...then looked over at me. Said later she thought I was being pretty cool about the whole thing...

...while deep inside I'm thinking, "motherhumper if that heavy thing pops off it's gonna hurt someone back there and gadammit now I gotta cut across the nose of that truck to get over to the shoulder shit it's all guardrail around here where in the hell am I going to go crap that damn thing is still hanging on I really hope it's not hurting the paint dammit what if it gets caught in the strut or steering sonofabitch where is that damn exit wow I hope we're not going to miss the event 'cause I heard they have the latest Spaten Oktoberfest on tap...mmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer."

It was tasty.

So, you changed cars.....and your shorts?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 2 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #14

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 2 2018, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 2 2018, 01:32 PM) *

It was tasty.

So, you changed cars.....and your shorts?

I think Greg needs to post a pic of the drivers seat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 2 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #15

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

New custom brown interior.
+Quote Post
don-6
post Oct 2 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #16

Stock vs Modified?

Member No.: 17,219
Region Association: Southwest Region

This happened to me on the very first 914 event that I attended back in the late 80's.
On the drive to Lake Tahoe, the right half of the bumper top came lose and was flapping in the wind. Duck taped it down and made it the rest of the way. It was ok to drive around town, but had to tape it down for higher speeds.
When I got home, I purchased new replacement tops, and they are still on the car.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 3 2018, 06:29 AM
Post #17

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I have the cure for you .... convert to BUB's!! I have a set if you want them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 3 2018, 06:44 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 2 2018, 07:20 PM) *

New custom brown interior.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I've had worse Code Brown moments, like the time I shot a VOR-A into a 425 MDA with the ATIS calling 400BKN 600OVC RA+widespread across the region, 15 knot quartering tailwind, and only 1/2 hour of fuel left. Then the GPS calls off the RNAV approach at the intercept due to lack of RAIM so I scrambled to cover it with the VOR (yeah, shoulda had that tuned in already; I got cocky). Got down to MDA and caught sight of the REILs and grabbed a whole buncha slip to get down and then the controller calls for a circling approach to the other side (I told him to pound sand and did a straight-in). What's that "old, bold pilots" saying...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Let's not even talk about the time I totally effed up the fuel calcs and ended up with a glider about 10 miles out at 5000 AGL (and then I bought a fuel totalizer...there's an ASRS on that somewhere out there). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Bumper top flapping? Meh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 3 2018, 06:51 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 3 2018, 08:29 AM) *

I have the cure for you .... convert to BUB's!! I have a set if you want them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

OK, I'll bite: what are BUBs?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 3 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 3 2018, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 3 2018, 08:29 AM) *

OK, I'll bite: what are BUBs?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Big Ugly Bumpers--- late rubber covered heavy steel bumpers for 75 and 76,
kind of updating rather than "back dating" -- OR just get the 914rubber set like I did when I got rid of my BUBs and put on the nice new chrome ones.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 10:46 AM