Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Warning: Check Your Bumper Tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
Just a heads-up...

I was driving the street car to the German Club yesterday (Oktoberfest!) on the interstate. Merged onto the highway behind a big rig, and just as I popped out to the left of the trailer into its turbulence there was a flash and my front bumper top departed the car! However, instead of fully departing it had peeled off from right-to-left and the left fastener was still attached and it was flopping to the left side of the car...dammit!

Fortunately, it has enough mass that it did not beat the side of the car (or get caught under the front wheel). I slowed down to 55-60 and got off the next exit, and it fell to the ground as I came to a stop.

Gave it a quick examination and it was clear what the failure mode was: all the studs/fasteners had rusted through and failed and separated from the bumper. I can take photos if desired.

I knew it was crunchy and needed replacement; both front and rear tops are my Christmas list. I had no idea that it had degraded underneath to the point where it would depart the car.

I recommend doing a quick pull on yours to verify your fasteners are secure and it's not ready to come off...

GA
bretth
Yikes. Good to know.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes these rust internally because the skeleton is mild steel and the rubber material porous . The new seals are made of water proof material and stainless spine so will be good for years and NOT rust, No blowing off of these

As a side note will never forget the time I proudly installed new windshield chrome on my 914 drove down the interstate and it blew off and a truck ran it over. Did not replace the 19 windshield clips

mepstein
My PO secured it with liquid nails chair.gif headbang.gif slap.gif
GregAmy
Representative pic on how it failed...only the far right one (not in this pic) looks like it was still attached, and the trailer turbulence ripped it off.
Mikey914
This is the downside of "repairing" your bumper. If you keep an eye on it you can get away with it, but it's a risk.
ConeDodger
Mine are NOS so still the mild steel. I got the last set Aase sold I’m told. None the less, I’m hoping to get by on no drives in anything but sunshine, and no wet washes. smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 1 2018, 11:01 PM) *

Mine are NOS so still the mild steel. I got the last set Aase sold I’m told. None the less, I’m hoping to get by on no drives in anything but sunshine, and no wet washes. smile.gif

west coast vs east coast. You win.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2018, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 1 2018, 11:01 PM) *

west coast vs east coast. You win.

haha

tha last bumper top I got from Aase has squirter mount holes..
76-914
On a scale of 1-10, what was the "Pucker Factor" when that happened? lol-2.gif
Cairo94507
Wow that had to cause the ol' sphincter to pucker a bit. Glad no damage was done to your car and you safely got the car pulled over. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 2 2018, 02:00 PM) *

laugh.gif Wife yelped...then looked over at me. Said later she thought I was being pretty cool about the whole thing...

...while deep inside I'm thinking, "motherhumper if that heavy thing pops off it's gonna hurt someone back there and gadammit now I gotta cut across the nose of that truck to get over to the shoulder shit it's all guardrail around here where in the hell am I going to go crap that damn thing is still hanging on I really hope it's not hurting the paint dammit what if it gets caught in the strut or steering sonofabitch where is that damn exit wow I hope we're not going to miss the event 'cause I heard they have the latest Spaten Oktoberfest on tap...mmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer."

It was tasty.
KELTY360
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 2 2018, 01:32 PM) *

laugh.gif Wife yelped...then looked over at me. Said later she thought I was being pretty cool about the whole thing...

...while deep inside I'm thinking, "motherhumper if that heavy thing pops off it's gonna hurt someone back there and gadammit now I gotta cut across the nose of that truck to get over to the shoulder shit it's all guardrail around here where in the hell am I going to go crap that damn thing is still hanging on I really hope it's not hurting the paint dammit what if it gets caught in the strut or steering sonofabitch where is that damn exit wow I hope we're not going to miss the event 'cause I heard they have the latest Spaten Oktoberfest on tap...mmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeeer."

It was tasty.

So, you changed cars.....and your shorts?
76-914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 2 2018, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 2 2018, 01:32 PM) *

It was tasty.

So, you changed cars.....and your shorts?

I think Greg needs to post a pic of the drivers seat! shades.gif
Mikey914
New custom brown interior.
don-6
This happened to me on the very first 914 event that I attended back in the late 80's.
On the drive to Lake Tahoe, the right half of the bumper top came lose and was flapping in the wind. Duck taped it down and made it the rest of the way. It was ok to drive around town, but had to tape it down for higher speeds.
When I got home, I purchased new replacement tops, and they are still on the car.
DRPHIL914
I have the cure for you .... convert to BUB's!! I have a set if you want them lol-2.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 2 2018, 07:20 PM) *

laugh.gif I've had worse Code Brown moments, like the time I shot a VOR-A into a 425 MDA with the ATIS calling 400BKN 600OVC RA+widespread across the region, 15 knot quartering tailwind, and only 1/2 hour of fuel left. Then the GPS calls off the RNAV approach at the intercept due to lack of RAIM so I scrambled to cover it with the VOR (yeah, shoulda had that tuned in already; I got cocky). Got down to MDA and caught sight of the REILs and grabbed a whole buncha slip to get down and then the controller calls for a circling approach to the other side (I told him to pound sand and did a straight-in). What's that "old, bold pilots" saying...? beer3.gif

Let's not even talk about the time I totally effed up the fuel calcs and ended up with a glider about 10 miles out at 5000 AGL (and then I bought a fuel totalizer...there's an ASRS on that somewhere out there). dry.gif

Bumper top flapping? Meh. biggrin.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 3 2018, 08:29 AM) *

I have the cure for you .... convert to BUB's!! I have a set if you want them lol-2.gif

OK, I'll bite: what are BUBs?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 3 2018, 08:51 AM) *

barf.gif Big Ugly Bumpers--- late rubber covered heavy steel bumpers for 75 and 76,
kind of updating rather than "back dating" -- OR just get the 914rubber set like I did when I got rid of my BUBs and put on the nice new chrome ones.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 3 2018, 05:51 AM) *

Everybody knows BUBs, your previous post may as well have been written in Latin as far as my ability to comprehend.
At least it was the bumper top and not the right rear swing arm.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Oct 3 2018, 12:52 PM) *
Everybody knows BUBs, your previous post may as well have been written in Latin as far as my ability to comprehend.
At least it was the bumper top and not the right rear swing arm.

laugh.gif fair enough.

No, Mark is going to get some bumper top biz some time this winter, after I cover some home projects. By the time we hit December here in CT I'll be looking to do SOMETHING. 'Cause 914 driving season is only 4 months away...
gereed75
glider!!! yea i won't talk about that one.
GregAmy
Yeah, it's one of those things where you realize just how stoopit you were.

http://tgadrivel.blogspot.com/1997/08/an-i...sting-asrs.html
bmtrnavsky
On the topic of bumper tops. both of mine are shot. the rubber looks good but all the mounting hardware is shot. They seem to be $550 to $600 for front and rear. I remember seeing fiberglass ones somewhere but I can not find a source for them now? anyone know who made these and how much they are? I'm playing with the idea of painting them to match the car.
theer
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 3 2018, 08:44 AM) *

laugh.gif I've had worse Code Brown moments, like the time I shot a VOR-A into a 425 MDA with the ATIS calling 400BKN 600OVC RA+widespread across the region, 15 knot quartering tailwind, and only 1/2 hour of fuel left. Then the GPS calls off the RNAV approach at the intercept due to lack of RAIM so I scrambled to cover it with the VOR (yeah, shoulda had that tuned in already; I got cocky). Got down to MDA and caught sight of the REILs and grabbed a whole buncha slip to get down and then the controller calls for a circling approach to the other side (I told him to pound sand and did a straight-in). What's that "old, bold pilots" saying...? beer3.gif

uhhhhh... whaaa? confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 2 2018, 03:32 PM) *

It was tasty.

Welcome to the bunny zone.

Coined by Brian Johnson of AC/DC, the bunny zone is where things are so intense that your rectum starts to twitch like a bunny's nose.

maf914
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Oct 4 2018, 07:25 AM) *

On the topic of bumper tops. both of mine are shot. the rubber looks good but all the mounting hardware is shot. They seem to be $550 to $600 for front and rear. I remember seeing fiberglass ones somewhere but I can not find a source for them now? anyone know who made these and how much they are? I'm playing with the idea of painting them to match the car.

914Rubber offered them in a group buy several years ago, but I haven't seen them on their site since. I think they were originally made by 914 Appearance and Performance, which made fiberglass pieces (i.e. speaker enclosures) for the 914.

Here is a Google search with a few links:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=_kq7W9irJu...160.O_UC0Vfkiwk
r_towle
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 3 2018, 08:44 AM) *

Let's not even talk about the time I totally effed up the fuel calcs and ended up with a glider about 10 miles out at 5000 AGL (and then I bought a fuel totalizer...there's an ASRS on that somewhere out there). dry.gif

Bumper top flapping? Meh. biggrin.gif

Wtf was all that?
Acronyms from where?
Krieger
Aviation, instrument approach for landing at an airport.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 8 2018, 04:27 AM) *

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Oct 4 2018, 07:25 AM) *

914Rubber offered them in a group buy several years ago, but I haven't seen them on their site since. I think they were originally made by 914 Appearance and Performance, which made fiberglass pieces (i.e. speaker enclosures) for the 914.

Here is a Google search with a few links:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=_kq7W9irJu...160.O_UC0Vfkiwk

It does not seem to be available anyplace... with the cost of these and the abundance of cars that need them, I wonder if anyone is interested in producing them again?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.