Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ezcarlift, Lift
JoeD
post Oct 3 2018, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,973
Region Association: South East States

After years of jacks stands and tight quarters, I finally pulled the trigger on a “lift”. My garage is tight and has a very low ceiling so couldn’t do what I really wanted and put a real lift in; opted for the ezcarlift. It arrived yesterday and within an hour had the car up. I can move it from the garage to the driveway as needed and though only 26” of lift, I am absolutely giddy about the amount of room I now have underneath.

About to re-do the front end (steering rack, tie rod ends, control arm / sway bar bushings etc) and brakes / rotors all around. Plus the undercoat is peeling and needs to be scraped and redone, and lots of other little things need freshening up. This will make life so much easier!

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 36)
Krieger
post Oct 3 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jfort @ Oct 3 2018, 02:16 PM) *

I don't think that is high enough to get a six engine and transmission in and out

I have done it several times. I use a harbor freight lifting to sit the engine and trans on. The top of it is about 6" off the ground. I do not have a rear valance on my car. That may need to be removed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 3 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #22

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

had one for 10 years now, you can drop a motor with one with out issue, and so much more.

Manev, who I owe some info to says it will lift my ML320, need to get him the jack points. Is the owner and designer, he really cares about your experience, and is a great guy to talk to.

And I like it better than my quick jack. At least it goes up in a semi level fashion, as in maybe .01 degree off from side to side, most likely my slab. Don't feel as stuck under it because of the leg design. It lifts 90 degrees from horizontal, unlike the Quick jack that pushes stuff up via an arc. You don't have hydraulic hoses on the floor to work around.

With the wheel kit you can roll cars around with ease. Can't do that with a quick jack.

Only thing it won't lift in my fleet of vehicles are the tractors, and the two trucks. Ford F250 the diesel almost exceeds the weight capacity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Powerstrocks are a half ton in themselves. And the Chevy pick'm up truck also is a bit to heavy. But I think the Ford would pancake the list.

Dewalt made (makes) a corded drill that turns at at 4000 RPM, makes my lift go up and down really fast. Not that good for drilling holes, but great for lifting a car.

Lots of pictures of my cars on the lift, look hard it is normally a small section of the lift seen in the shots. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I would like to have another.
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Oct 3 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,561
Region Association: Southern California

Once the car is in the air, could one of the cross members be removed, if it was in the way?

Greg W.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 3 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I used my quick jack to install my /6. I raised it up. Slipped some jack stands to hold it in place and then dropped it down again. Put some big ass wood blocks under it and raised some more. Took a few extra minutes but the body cleared the carbs.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 3 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Oct 3 2018, 08:11 PM) *

Once the car is in the air, could one of the cross members be removed, if it was in the way?

Greg W.

Yes. I've done that temporarily.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 4 2018, 07:11 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Anyone know if these will get the car high enough to pull a V8 out?

I have a line on a lightly used BendPack MD-6SP mid rise - $700 from a buddy. The price is certainly attractive, but these are "big and heavy"...

Thoughts?
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 4 2018, 07:26 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

tygaboy, when you want to lift a car 30 to 48 inches you want "big and heavy". Best, Mark
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Oct 4 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(wobbletop @ Oct 3 2018, 09:49 AM) *

I went with the quickjack.

Its actually cheaper and doesn't require a drill to lift it and doesn't have any cross members between the lifts.

Some people like myself like the idea of not having to deal with a separate hydraulic pump and hoses. Sure a mechanical lift that requires a drill isn't ideal either and I'm surprised that the ezcarlift is more expensive. I would think a mechanical method of raising and lowering would be less expensive than a hydraulic pump setup.

All of these mid rise lift options area pretty awesome though for those of us that don't have the space for a real lift.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 4 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 4 2018, 06:11 AM) *

I have a line on a lightly used BendPack MD-6SP mid rise - $700 from a buddy. The price is certainly attractive, but these are "big and heavy"...

Thoughts?

Chris, you are more than welcome to borrow my lift and see. Knock on wood I have three fully functional Porsches!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 5 2018, 08:33 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 4 2018, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 4 2018, 06:11 AM) *

Thoughts?

Chris, you are more than welcome to borrow my lift and see. Knock on wood I have three fully functional Porsches!

Andy - Now there's an idea! I'll be in touch. Many thanks!
Chris
ps. "...functional Porsche..." What's that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Oct 5 2018, 11:39 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 3 2018, 09:27 PM) *

Greg W.

Thanks. Are the cross braces adjustable for width, depending upon the width of the car being lifted?

Greg W.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Oct 5 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #32

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Oct 5 2018, 10:39 AM) *

Greg W.

Thanks. Are the cross braces adjustable for width, depending upon the wide of the car being lifted?

Greg W.

The width is adjustable by replacing the cross members with a smaller or larger size.
I used a set of cross members 4 inches smaller than normal, I used these rubber pads to support the pan while replacing the passenger side long.

Attached Image

Portability, configurability and options makes the EZCarlift the best choice for me.
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Oct 6 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 5 2018, 04:43 PM) *

Greg W.

Thanks. Are the cross braces adjustable for width, depending upon the wide of the car being lifted?

Greg W.

The width is adjustable by replacing the cross members with a smaller or larger size.
I used a set of cross members 4 inches smaller than normal, I used these rubber pads to support the pan while replacing the passenger side long.

Attached Image

Portability, configurability and options makes the EZCarlift the best choice for me.

Thanks. What size cross brace did you use?

Greg W.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 7 2018, 09:10 AM
Post #34

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

to answer the question about mechanical being cheaper than hydralic. Doubtful. Larger Corporation buys hydro cylinders and pumps from who knows where. On the cheap.

Machining a set of acme threads a gear box, forming the sides, they are formed, not welded for 3 inches out of flat bar stock.

Here is my grips with quick jack.

They used flat bar stock to make almost everything.

the hydraulics you can disconnect. But then you have to reconnect. If you ever done this with one that still is pressurized you will never get the ball open on the quick fittings, unless you have a mechanical advantage. I have a Tool I built to release the pressure when I find once. Small portable press that has a bolt that presses against the screw. Other day I was installing a loader at the farm, and did not have it with me. Used a big set of Channel Locks, that did the trick, also took a shower in Hydro. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Moving these around is a pain. 'No wheels on them except the small rollers on the front. They suck if you have to move them sideways, or in any direction really. Been thinking about making a set of caster wheels for the. design is so bad that I have my ideas, but figure that it will also add to the width, and make things just as bad. Been thinking about adding a slick pads under the lift, to allow it to slide, fear is then it might slide out from under the car.

Cross Bars are not there, but the bottom plate is, the hydro cylinder is. And it just feels so um crude by design.

EZcarlift

The drills can bring you down. I used to lift it with a 1/2" drill, slooooooooooowwwwwwww

Setup up tho the 3/8" 4000 RPM drill, and it is still slower than a hydro, but bearable. I can tear both lifts down, and move them both, EZCARlift wins that battle. And it is a very well designed. Simplicity at its finest. I would hav gotten two if it could lift the Pickups I need to service

Like all tool you can find bargains out there, but then you get the best in your hands you realize the investment was well worth the money. Don't get me wrong, I make do with a lot of stuff. When I find the quality tool, I grab it up. I have some tools that my wife has pitched because she said if I did not like them why should I give them to someone else. I tried to explain some people do not have the same exacting standards for tools. Now I just load them up and drop them off myself. I will toss a tool if I think it will kill somebody.

The clicker style jack sands I pitched all of them at the metal recycler. Had one fail, and figured if it failed on me, it could the next poor soul, so into the pile they went. If someone pulled them out and used them, that is on them. When you placing stuff several 1000 pounds above any of you body parts you really want to make sure it stays in the location you have it in. I would rather see a stack of glue and screwed 2x4 that a cinder block improperly oriented, or even a cheap jack stand.

I would love to have an EZcarlift that lifts higher than 26" for my smaller stuff. Thinking zero turn commercial mowers, Ventracs and Steiner type stuff. Smaller tractors I would like to get up in the air and work on. Be able to move around the shop if I need to open up a bay etc.....

Enjoy the lift you choose, they all have their advantages. And you life changes once you have one.
+Quote Post
JMT
post Oct 7 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 20,316

These have worked out great. Easy to load up and take to your friends house when he needs help.Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Oct 7 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #36

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Oct 6 2018, 09:42 PM) *

Greg W.

Greg W.

Attached Image

Greg W.

The set I normally use is the xm52, I also use blocks of wood between the lift and the car jack points, although I do not use the front jack donuts. I lift where the front inner fender meets the floor, I place a 6 inch section of 2 x 4 between the seam and the lift. The rear jack points are fine for general lifting, a 4 inch square section of 2 x 4 is perfect under the rear jack donuts.

The above photo shows the xmc45 cross members.
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Oct 8 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 7 2018, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Oct 6 2018, 09:42 PM) *

Greg W.

Greg W.

Attached Image

Greg W.

The set I normally use is the xm52, I also use blocks of wood between the lift and the car jack points, although I do not use the front jack donuts. I lift where the front inner fender meets the floor, I place a 6 inch section of 2 x 4 between the seam and the lift. The rear jack points are fine for general lifting, a 4 inch square section of 2 x 4 is perfect under the rear jack donuts.

The above photo shows the xmc45 cross members.

Thanks again.

Greg W.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:40 AM