Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valvetrain Geometry, Rabys Article
ChrisFoley
post Oct 12 2018, 06:38 AM
Post #21

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 12 2018, 08:25 AM) *

what are LE-200 heads? are those the new castings and reworked by Len Hoffman? , and why so expensive, are they gold or platinum plated?

Top of the line offering at the Type 4 Store, designed and made by HAM, Inc., starting with new AMC 1.8L castings. Uses 12mm spark plugs in the 2L location. Combines CNC and hand port work to yield high output across the rpm range on any large displacement engine, or smaller race engine. Valve springs provide control to 7500rpm. They are worth the coin, even without gold plating.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 12 2018, 06:53 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Oct 12 2018, 04:38 AM) *

what are LE-200 heads? are those the new castings and reworked by Len Hoffman? , and why so expensive, are they gold or platinum plated?

Top of the line offering at the Type 4 Store, designed and made by HAM, Inc., starting with new AMC 1.8L castings. Uses 12mm spark plugs in the 2L location. Combines CNC and hand port work to yield high output across the rpm range on any large displacement engine, or smaller race engine. Valve springs provide control to 7500rpm. They are worth the coin, even without gold plating.

The reality is that for the average person dealing in Type 4s, these are the best that can be had. As the old saying goes, "the only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic dollars!"

This is the perfect example!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 12 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

New AMC heads, toss the valves, springs, guides, retainers, keepers and seats.
Then weld the plug holes, plug hole top areas, chambers, intakes. Machine and tap plug holes, chambers, ports, intakes, seats, Install seats, guides, machine, quality valves HD springs, retainers, keepers.

Easy right?

Add to this although Len likely does a mini production run of heads, as far as production runs go the quantity is laughable. All the processes, head bench flowing, CNC programing, tooling and materials Len had to figure out.
This is still highly custom work and you get what you pay for.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 12 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 12 2018, 06:51 AM) *

Then weld the plug holes, plug hole top areas, chambers, intakes. Machine and tap plug holes, chambers, ports, intakes, seats, Install seats, guides, machine, quality valves HD springs, retainers, keepers.

Easy right?

Add to this although Len likely does a mini production run of heads, as far as production runs go the quantity is laughable. All the processes, head bench flowing, CNC programing, tooling and materials Len had to figure out.

Amen. People want high quality and performance, but don't want to pay for it. It's in our nature.

Nothing wrong with the OP's position in wanting to build stuff on his own, and I admire that and wish I had that time. But when the time came to put a hotter engine in my 914, there were only two roads that interested me: One of Jake's engines or a six. While I ultimately went the latter route because it was a deal too good to pass up and a chance to work on it alongside someone I've known since high school, I came very, very close to pulling the trigger on a Raby Type IV—and my respect for Jake's work has only grown since. The noises of the six and its characteristics as an engine are fabulous, but I have to say I miss the handling balance and lighter feel of a four. Then again, did I mention the noises? They're heavenly. But, were I to do it over again, and the six conversion was just another six conversion done by just about anyone else, I probably would have done a 2270. There's just something very cool about a hot four.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 12 2018, 08:16 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 12 2018, 09:51 AM) *

Easy right?

easy to strip and throw away the bad stuff, not so easy to do what he does! I am sure its worth the cost , especially if you are rebuilding a car that you plan on keeping a very long time. I have a 2.0 with 153,000 miles on it and i am sure at some point i will have to consider this, probably will have to start saving now though! hopefully i can run a few more years before i have to do a full rebuild. Time will tell. good luck Mike, watching the other thread very closely . post up some pictures of the goodies once you get then out of the box!
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 12 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Well after much struggle and thought..... Looks like I will do the LE-200s.

Wow my first 914 did not cost this much.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 12 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #27

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 12 2018, 06:00 PM) *

i know what you mean mike!!
- cost of my first 914-$2500
- cost of rust repair- ~$5000
- cost of body/paint ~ $6500
-cost of rest of stuff ~ $5000+

the thrill of driving that thing once its done is... PRICELESS!!

i am sure once you put the pedal to the rusty foor, i mean metal you will say its worth it-
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 12 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 12 2018, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 12 2018, 06:00 PM) *

i know what you mean mike!!
- cost of my first 914-$2500
- cost of rust repair- ~$5000
- cost of body/paint ~ $6500
-cost of rest of stuff ~ $5000+

the thrill of driving that thing once its done is... PRICELESS!!

i am sure once you put the pedal to the rusty foor, i mean metal you will say its worth it-

My first 914 - $800. Total for engine rebuild. $600. Paint $300. Drove it for years and sold it for $1200. But the memories are priceless. This car is way more expensive but still has great memories and is destined to go to the next generation of 914 owners.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:46 AM