Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing the fan shroud flapper assembly with the engine in the car, How difficult is it?
bdstone914
post Oct 14 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #1

bdstone914

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,319

So the blue car we have been working on is missing the flapper assembly. I think it requires removing the front tin, fan, fan belt, alternator harness from relay board, nuts that attach the shroud, thermostat cable. To do all that I think the engine needs to be dropped down for access. Leave cv's attached but disconnect shift rod trans and motor mount bolts.
Anyone do this with the engine in the car? Been doing this all for free but this is getting too much work. Thinking that maybe the flap is on the oil cooler. Maybe go in with a bore scope to check.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 14 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Pull the engine tin--just the two pieces over the heads. It's a pain to do with the engine in, but doable. You can thread the cable up through the hole in the tin from the top, but the hole might even be big enough to thread the nut through from the top.

I haven't done this with the engine in the car, but I did do it without removing more than the engine tin (and induction and such that's required to get the tin out of the way).

--DD
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 14 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Easiest way I've found to set the cable is use a wire or coat hanger to fish the wire up through the tin. secure it so it doesn't drop down. Then get the car up to full operating temp and connect the cable to the flapper bar so that it's just barely taught. Much easier to set this way than to pull the flaps and tighten when cool...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 15 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I have pulled the fan shroud with the engine in the car. It can be done, but it is a bit tedious. If you just need to put in the flaps , pull the tin. It is much easier.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:17 AM