Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing the fan shroud flapper assembly with the engine in the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bdstone914
So the blue car we have been working on is missing the flapper assembly. I think it requires removing the front tin, fan, fan belt, alternator harness from relay board, nuts that attach the shroud, thermostat cable. To do all that I think the engine needs to be dropped down for access. Leave cv's attached but disconnect shift rod trans and motor mount bolts.
Anyone do this with the engine in the car? Been doing this all for free but this is getting too much work. Thinking that maybe the flap is on the oil cooler. Maybe go in with a bore scope to check.
Dave_Darling
Pull the engine tin--just the two pieces over the heads. It's a pain to do with the engine in, but doable. You can thread the cable up through the hole in the tin from the top, but the hole might even be big enough to thread the nut through from the top.

I haven't done this with the engine in the car, but I did do it without removing more than the engine tin (and induction and such that's required to get the tin out of the way).

--DD
iankarr
Easiest way I've found to set the cable is use a wire or coat hanger to fish the wire up through the tin. secure it so it doesn't drop down. Then get the car up to full operating temp and connect the cable to the flapper bar so that it's just barely taught. Much easier to set this way than to pull the flaps and tighten when cool...
ClayPerrine
I have pulled the fan shroud with the engine in the car. It can be done, but it is a bit tedious. If you just need to put in the flaps , pull the tin. It is much easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.