Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Play in front wheel steering..., Is my car a deathtrap?
ammason
post Jun 17 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,758
Region Association: Hawaii

I noticed a few days ago that going over bumps I hear a small *clunk*, like something big is moving a few 1/100ths of an inch - when I back up sometimes as well...

I checked my front wheels and when I yanked on the passenges side, there's a small bit of play.

I've also noticed that when I get up to about 70mph, the steering wheel picks up a vibration. I noticed the vibration about two weeks ago and attributed it to the road I was driving on, but it seems now that it does it any time the car ist at speed.

I'm going to check it tomorrow when I spend some time with the girl, but what might cause this? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a tie rod bushing. It doesn't feel like a wheel bearing...

Ideas?

Cheers!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jun 17 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

First make sure that every bolt around the suspension is tight.

It mostly sounds like a tie-rod end. You can replace it with a stock one or go for a Turbo Tie-Rod kit from vendors. You should also check the ball-joint, if they have slack they can give the impression of bad tie-rods also. Of course a proper alignment will be due afterwards.

Edit: mayne nalancing the front tires wouldn't be a bad idea either.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 17 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

This doesn't sound like your problem, but Marty Yeoman had a noise that seemed to be coming from the large rear bolts for the cover plate under the steering rack. They were just a hair too long (replacements) and it was allowing the mounts to "click" 0.001" or so.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:25 PM