Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play in front wheel steering...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ammason
I noticed a few days ago that going over bumps I hear a small *clunk*, like something big is moving a few 1/100ths of an inch - when I back up sometimes as well...

I checked my front wheels and when I yanked on the passenges side, there's a small bit of play.

I've also noticed that when I get up to about 70mph, the steering wheel picks up a vibration. I noticed the vibration about two weeks ago and attributed it to the road I was driving on, but it seems now that it does it any time the car ist at speed.

I'm going to check it tomorrow when I spend some time with the girl, but what might cause this? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a tie rod bushing. It doesn't feel like a wheel bearing...

Ideas?

Cheers!
mihai914
First make sure that every bolt around the suspension is tight.

It mostly sounds like a tie-rod end. You can replace it with a stock one or go for a Turbo Tie-Rod kit from vendors. You should also check the ball-joint, if they have slack they can give the impression of bad tie-rods also. Of course a proper alignment will be due afterwards.

Edit: mayne nalancing the front tires wouldn't be a bad idea either.
McMark
This doesn't sound like your problem, but Marty Yeoman had a noise that seemed to be coming from the large rear bolts for the cover plate under the steering rack. They were just a hair too long (replacements) and it was allowing the mounts to "click" 0.001" or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.