Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Auction /6s, Sotheby's at PCNA in Atlanta
krazykonrad
post Oct 30 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,610

Check these out. They seem a little high, but tides and boats and that sort of thing!

Willow Green /6

Green Metallic /6

Ferg's 924

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 30 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Porsche Classic's 70th anniversary 993 Turbo S
2,9 million

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 30 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

WOOHOO! Stunning price on mike's car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Oct 31 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

The 1971 sold for $145,600

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/po18/the...che-9146/696089
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 31 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 31 2018, 04:58 PM) *

Beautiful car. Good for him. I guess they didn't care about the filled in warts.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 31 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 31 2018, 01:58 PM) *

And yours, Toolguy, is better than that one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 31 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2018, 02:06 PM) *

Beautiful car. Good for him. I guess they didn't care about the filled in warts.

The side-marker warts are the sugar scoop headlights of 914 land.

Definitely not in the designer's eye, and added only because Porsche had no choice thanks to the DOT. And now people are putting sugar scoops back on early 911s... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 31 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 31 2018, 02:17 PM) *

Definitely not in the designer's eye, and added only because Porsche had no choice thanks to the DOT. And now people are putting sugar scoops back on early 911s... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

I dig the H4 headlights and Euro trim rings; sugar scoops hidden safe in a drawer not going back on the '79 930 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
All of our teeners are wartless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 31 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 31 2018, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 31 2018, 02:17 PM) *

I dig the H4 headlights and Euro trim rings; sugar scoops hidden safe in a drawer not going back on the '79 930 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
All of our teeners are wartless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'm not a fan of the warts but I'm surprised someone paid the big bucks for a (slightly) non original car. I would have shaved them if it was my car but sadly, it's was not.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 31 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2018, 06:48 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'm not a fan of the warts but I'm surprised someone paid the big bucks for a (slightly) non original car. I would have shaved them if it was my car but sadly, it's was not.

I'm kinda surprised too, but I love the idea that buyers weren't turned off by a lightly modded factory six in that arena. Nice steering wheel, 15-inch Fuchs, Euro rear lights (US fronts, oddly), and a warmed up engine are bonuses in my book. It seems that the vintage Porsche market, unlike the vintage Corvette or Ferrari markets, will accept a car with tasteful modifications in the spirit of Porsche. Even hot rods that are done well seem to have the potential bring similar money or even premiums rather than penalties.

To which I say... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 31 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

So, this auction result makes my car worth $70,000.00.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Oct 31 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,534

It's a beautiful little car.
I just don't get why, if it was such a detailed and lengthy resto, that such a number of little bits were installed that were not correct for the model or year....weird.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 1 2018, 02:25 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(porbmw @ Nov 1 2018, 12:45 AM) *

I just don't get why, if it was such a detailed and lengthy resto, that such a number of little bits were installed that were not correct for the model or year....weird.

In his thread, he said he was building it for himself, nor the market. I like that.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 1 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 31 2018, 09:45 PM) *

You mean the Willow Green car?

I'm with mepstein: I love that the car was built for himself...and I don't particularly care for restorations that are slaves to original configurations. I have deep respect for them, and understand the pursuit for historical purposes and concours competition, but find such cars are usually a bit boring (to me). I'm much more interested in cars that are idealized while still true to Porsche's intent. How does one achieve that? Well, that's the trick…and what makes the pursuit interesting. I think it's in the details...ride height, equipment, color, wheels, tires, muffler, lenses, details, some "intangibles," and other items that are hard to spot and even harder to name but contribute to a 914 that looks better than what the factory delivered.

Occasionally, wilder 914 customs are achingly good, but it's the "mild mod" 914s that usually get me. Remember Jenny's silver 914? Or Dan's orange car? The Willow Green car is very close to perfection (for me) as a super nice driver. I'd lower it, ditch the center caps, put XWXs or Avons, add Euro front lenses, ace the PORSCHE sticker in the rear window, and add a 57mm sport muffler from Patrick Motorsport in ceramic white or light gray. Goal would be to have it looking like something that could have come off the grid at a club event in 1971-1972. Or maybe I'd shoot for 1986. Whoever bought it will, hopefully, do their own thing. Neat thing with the 914 is we can all choose where/when/how to make the car special. There are some killer hot rods on this forum, but I am liking the rise of the mild mod cars. Larmo's is a great example...kills me every time I see it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 1 2018, 01:12 PM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 1 2018, 02:36 PM) *

I'm with mepstein: I love that the car was built for himself...and I don't particularly care for restorations that are slaves to original configurations. I have deep respect for them, and understand the pursuit for historical purposes and concours competition, but find such cars are usually a bit boring (to me). I'm much more interested in cars that are idealized while still true to Porsche's intent. How does one achieve that? Well, that's the trick…and what makes the pursuit interesting. I think it's in the details...ride height, equipment, color, wheels, tires, muffler, lenses, details, some "intangibles," and other items that are hard to spot and even harder to name but contribute to a 914 that looks better than what the factory delivered.

Occasionally, wilder 914 customs are achingly good, but it's the "mild mod" 914s that usually get me. Remember Jenny's silver 914? Or Dan's orange car? The Willow Green car is very close to perfection (for me) as a super nice driver. I'd lower it, ditch the center caps, put XWXs or Avons, add Euro front lenses, ace the PORSCHE sticker in the rear window, and add a 57mm sport muffler from Patrick Motorsport in ceramic white or light gray. Goal would be to have it looking like something that could have come off the grid at a club event in 1971-1972. Or maybe I'd shoot for 1986. Whoever bought it will, hopefully, do their own thing. Neat thing with the 914 is we can all choose where/when/how to make the car special. There are some killer hot rods on this forum, but I am liking the rise of the mild mod cars. Larmo's is a great example...kills me every time I see it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) As soon as people start talking date matched anything, my brain turns off. Here’s what one very well known Porsche restoration shop owner said to me about the matching stuff.

“Isn't that just like our society though; to get distracted with the shiny object, image, or bragging rights to build our self esteem rather than embracing an intrinsic love for the thing and its intended purpose? I've said it many times: Ferry would be rolling in his grave if he could see the ridiculousness going on these days. It's a joke and I refuse to be part of it.”
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 1 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

and then some are destined to be show queens all of their life. Willow green 71 914-6 5401 original miles never touched
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 1 2018, 11:36 AM) *

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 1 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 1 2018, 12:53 PM) *

and then some are destined to be show queens all of their life. Willow green 71 914-6 5401 original miles never touched
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

Nicer car, but I'll take the hot rod that sold at RM every time. To each their own, which is what makes the world more interesting.

Ah, and your floor mats have been "idealized." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

EDIT: Just noticed...why does the Willow car pictured in your post have a black interior in one pic and a tan interior in the other??
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 2 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Wonder if Dr. 914 will solve the mystery above? Inquiring minds want to know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 3 2018, 02:49 AM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 3 2018, 01:17 AM) *

Wonder if Dr. 914 will solve the mystery above? Inquiring minds want to know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think that might be the car that steve switched in the interior fron the Strenger car and got a new black interior from George. Or something like that.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Nov 3 2018, 05:13 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Also black door handle verses chrome.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:12 PM