Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Auction /6s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
Check these out. They seem a little high, but tides and boats and that sort of thing!

Willow Green /6

Green Metallic /6

Ferg's 924

sixnotfour
Porsche Classic's 70th anniversary 993 Turbo S
2,9 million
rhodyguy
WOOHOO! Stunning price on mike's car. w00t.gif
toolguy
The 1971 sold for $145,600

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/po18/the...che-9146/696089
mepstein
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 31 2018, 04:58 PM) *

Beautiful car. Good for him. I guess they didn't care about the filled in warts.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 31 2018, 01:58 PM) *

And yours, Toolguy, is better than that one beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2018, 02:06 PM) *

Beautiful car. Good for him. I guess they didn't care about the filled in warts.

The side-marker warts are the sugar scoop headlights of 914 land.

Definitely not in the designer's eye, and added only because Porsche had no choice thanks to the DOT. And now people are putting sugar scoops back on early 911s... icon8.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 31 2018, 02:17 PM) *

Definitely not in the designer's eye, and added only because Porsche had no choice thanks to the DOT. And now people are putting sugar scoops back on early 911s... icon8.gif

I dig the H4 headlights and Euro trim rings; sugar scoops hidden safe in a drawer not going back on the '79 930 mad.gif
All of our teeners are wartless biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 31 2018, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 31 2018, 02:17 PM) *

I dig the H4 headlights and Euro trim rings; sugar scoops hidden safe in a drawer not going back on the '79 930 mad.gif
All of our teeners are wartless biggrin.gif

agree.gif I'm not a fan of the warts but I'm surprised someone paid the big bucks for a (slightly) non original car. I would have shaved them if it was my car but sadly, it's was not.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2018, 06:48 PM) *

agree.gif I'm not a fan of the warts but I'm surprised someone paid the big bucks for a (slightly) non original car. I would have shaved them if it was my car but sadly, it's was not.

I'm kinda surprised too, but I love the idea that buyers weren't turned off by a lightly modded factory six in that arena. Nice steering wheel, 15-inch Fuchs, Euro rear lights (US fronts, oddly), and a warmed up engine are bonuses in my book. It seems that the vintage Porsche market, unlike the vintage Corvette or Ferrari markets, will accept a car with tasteful modifications in the spirit of Porsche. Even hot rods that are done well seem to have the potential bring similar money or even premiums rather than penalties.

To which I say... smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
So, this auction result makes my car worth $70,000.00.

beerchug.gif
porbmw
It's a beautiful little car.
I just don't get why, if it was such a detailed and lengthy resto, that such a number of little bits were installed that were not correct for the model or year....weird.
mepstein
QUOTE(porbmw @ Nov 1 2018, 12:45 AM) *

I just don't get why, if it was such a detailed and lengthy resto, that such a number of little bits were installed that were not correct for the model or year....weird.

In his thread, he said he was building it for himself, nor the market. I like that.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 31 2018, 09:45 PM) *

You mean the Willow Green car?

I'm with mepstein: I love that the car was built for himself...and I don't particularly care for restorations that are slaves to original configurations. I have deep respect for them, and understand the pursuit for historical purposes and concours competition, but find such cars are usually a bit boring (to me). I'm much more interested in cars that are idealized while still true to Porsche's intent. How does one achieve that? Well, that's the trick…and what makes the pursuit interesting. I think it's in the details...ride height, equipment, color, wheels, tires, muffler, lenses, details, some "intangibles," and other items that are hard to spot and even harder to name but contribute to a 914 that looks better than what the factory delivered.

Occasionally, wilder 914 customs are achingly good, but it's the "mild mod" 914s that usually get me. Remember Jenny's silver 914? Or Dan's orange car? The Willow Green car is very close to perfection (for me) as a super nice driver. I'd lower it, ditch the center caps, put XWXs or Avons, add Euro front lenses, ace the PORSCHE sticker in the rear window, and add a 57mm sport muffler from Patrick Motorsport in ceramic white or light gray. Goal would be to have it looking like something that could have come off the grid at a club event in 1971-1972. Or maybe I'd shoot for 1986. Whoever bought it will, hopefully, do their own thing. Neat thing with the 914 is we can all choose where/when/how to make the car special. There are some killer hot rods on this forum, but I am liking the rise of the mild mod cars. Larmo's is a great example...kills me every time I see it.
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 1 2018, 02:36 PM) *

I'm with mepstein: I love that the car was built for himself...and I don't particularly care for restorations that are slaves to original configurations. I have deep respect for them, and understand the pursuit for historical purposes and concours competition, but find such cars are usually a bit boring (to me). I'm much more interested in cars that are idealized while still true to Porsche's intent. How does one achieve that? Well, that's the trick…and what makes the pursuit interesting. I think it's in the details...ride height, equipment, color, wheels, tires, muffler, lenses, details, some "intangibles," and other items that are hard to spot and even harder to name but contribute to a 914 that looks better than what the factory delivered.

Occasionally, wilder 914 customs are achingly good, but it's the "mild mod" 914s that usually get me. Remember Jenny's silver 914? Or Dan's orange car? The Willow Green car is very close to perfection (for me) as a super nice driver. I'd lower it, ditch the center caps, put XWXs or Avons, add Euro front lenses, ace the PORSCHE sticker in the rear window, and add a 57mm sport muffler from Patrick Motorsport in ceramic white or light gray. Goal would be to have it looking like something that could have come off the grid at a club event in 1971-1972. Or maybe I'd shoot for 1986. Whoever bought it will, hopefully, do their own thing. Neat thing with the 914 is we can all choose where/when/how to make the car special. There are some killer hot rods on this forum, but I am liking the rise of the mild mod cars. Larmo's is a great example...kills me every time I see it.

agree.gif As soon as people start talking date matched anything, my brain turns off. Here’s what one very well known Porsche restoration shop owner said to me about the matching stuff.

“Isn't that just like our society though; to get distracted with the shiny object, image, or bragging rights to build our self esteem rather than embracing an intrinsic love for the thing and its intended purpose? I've said it many times: Ferry would be rolling in his grave if he could see the ridiculousness going on these days. It's a joke and I refuse to be part of it.”
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and then some are destined to be show queens all of their life. Willow green 71 914-6 5401 original miles never touched
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 1 2018, 11:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 1 2018, 12:53 PM) *

and then some are destined to be show queens all of their life. Willow green 71 914-6 5401 original miles never touched
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Nicer car, but I'll take the hot rod that sold at RM every time. To each their own, which is what makes the world more interesting.

Ah, and your floor mats have been "idealized." poke.gif biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just noticed...why does the Willow car pictured in your post have a black interior in one pic and a tan interior in the other??
horizontally-opposed
Wonder if Dr. 914 will solve the mystery above? Inquiring minds want to know... smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 3 2018, 01:17 AM) *

Wonder if Dr. 914 will solve the mystery above? Inquiring minds want to know... smile.gif

I think that might be the car that steve switched in the interior fron the Strenger car and got a new black interior from George. Or something like that.
mlindner
Also black door handle verses chrome.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 3 2018, 04:13 AM) *

Also black door handle verses chrome.

I think that's just the light. It's a beautiful car and clearly the superior example—for a collector. Just curious about what appears to be an interior color change, and what drove that in such an original car.

I will say: Willow Green is now one of my all-time favorite 914 colors.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
window crank handles are chrome indeed.

As they say these days, the story always makes the car. This willow green Porsche 914-6 with only 5406 original miles is no exception. The story:
The car was a left over in Denver that remained on the showroom floor until late 72, no one liked the "bright puke green with tan interior, reminded them of vomit"
Finally a guy came in, a glutton for punishment, I guess, and said "I will take that car off of your hands if you change the interior to black"
Desperate to sell, the dealer agreed, and installed a brand new black interior and put the tan one in a box, and provided an official letter of the dealer interior switch. Buyer drove it on a trip around the u s and then parked it. An expatriate, living in England purchased the car with only 5200 miles it, entered it in the Benson and Hedges concours several alternate years and every time won his class, being fastidious, he cleaned the car top and bottom with a Q tip. The car was featured in several magazine articles in Europe.
By 1990 he was highly bored with a car that could not be driven and only displayed, and having won every trophy he wanted, decided to buy a 911 cup car to race. Knowing that I had a 914 collection, he called and told me I needed to buy it, and arranged a trade with a Miami Porsche dealership. The sale price was 49,500.00, the highest anyone had paid for any 914-6 to date, and everyone though me crazy (most still do!)
The car arrived, everything he said it was, the most perfect 914-6 I have ever seen then or since, and we put it on proud display here for everyone to see.
Finally in 2005 we (Steve Gaglione and George Hussey) decided to show the car in Lancaster Pa and entered it in the preserved class. Low and behold, the judges nicked it for the interior switch even though we had the dealer letter and the original interior back at automobile atlanta! An unclean 1976 914-4 was judged the winner!!
Steve and I were not happy and decided to install the original interior and bring the car back to its so called "vomit" color combination. Having been carefully packed away since the car was new, of course the interior was perfect, and with meticulous installation that only Steve could do, the car was once again factory issue and still perfect.
We have had the car in several concours since and it has always won, and cannot be picked. Of course we cannot drive it except from the trailer to the parade field, so today the car has a total of 5604 miles on it, and I can proudly say, I have driven it three miles!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2018, 01:49 AM) *

I think that might be the car that steve switched in the interior fron the Strenger car and got a new black interior from George. Or something like that.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 3 2018, 09:29 AM) *

window crank handles are chrome indeed.

As they say these days, the story always makes the car. This willow green Porsche 914-6 with only 5406 original miles is no exception. The story:
The car was a left over in Denver that remained on the showroom floor until late 72, no one liked the "bright puke green with tan interior, reminded them of vomit"
Finally a guy came in, a glutton for punishment, I guess, and said "I will take that car off of your hands if you change the interior to black"
Desperate to sell, the dealer agreed, and installed a brand new black interior and put the tan one in a box, and provided an official letter of the dealer interior switch. Buyer drove it on a trip around the u s and then parked it. An expatriate, living in England purchased the car with only 5200 miles it, entered it in the Benson and Hedges concours several alternate years and every time won his class, being fastidious, he cleaned the car top and bottom with a Q tip. The car was featured in several magazine articles in Europe.
By 1990 he was highly bored with a car that could not be driven and only displayed, and having won every trophy he wanted, decided to buy a 911 cup car to race. Knowing that I had a 914 collection, he called and told me I needed to buy it, and arranged a trade with a Miami Porsche dealership. The sale price was 49,500.00, the highest anyone had paid for any 914-6 to date, and everyone though me crazy (most still do!)
The car arrived, everything he said it was, the most perfect 914-6 I have ever seen then or since, and we put it on proud display here for everyone to see.
Finally in 2005 we (Steve Gaglione and George Hussey) decided to show the car in Lancaster Pa and entered it in the preserved class. Low and behold, the judges nicked it for the interior switch even though we had the dealer letter and the original interior back at automobile atlanta! An unclean 1976 914-4 was judged the winner!!
Steve and I were not happy and decided to install the original interior and bring the car back to its so called "vomit" color combination. Having been carefully packed away since the car was new, of course the interior was perfect, and with meticulous installation that only Steve could do, the car was once again factory issue and still perfect.
We have had the car in several concours since and it has always won, and cannot be picked. Of course we cannot drive it except from the trailer to the parade field, so today the car has a total of 5604 miles on it, and I can proudly say, I have driven it three miles!

Ah, makes sense. Interesting story, and while I like the car with the black interior better (like the original owner) and kinda wish you guys had told the judges where to stick it, I can also understand the desire to win...and I don't know what else you do with that car other than concours it or keep it locked up like a static model.

Someday, someone is going to be very happy to acquire that car. I hope they throw caution to the wind and start driving it. We're only here so long…and who knows how long we'll be able to drive cars at all—so what's another 3,000 to 30,000 miles on that car? It'll still be one of the best in the world, if not the best.

pete
SKL1
As I mentioned (I think at the rennlist 914 thread- a place few people go it unfortunately) it is a crime that 6 can't be driven!!

Life is too short just to look at it!

(and Pete- keep up the good work. BTW, my wife, who doesn't let much car stuff in the regular part of the house, actually put out copies of 000 on the coffee table in the family room!!! She can tell quality!!)
Lucky9146
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 4 2018, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 3 2018, 09:29 AM) *

Ah, makes sense. Interesting story, and while I like the car with the black interior better (like the original owner) and kinda wish you guys had told the judges where to stick it, I can also understand the desire to win...and I don't know what else you do with that car other than concours it or keep it locked up like a static model.

Someday, someone is going to be very happy to acquire that car. I hope they throw caution to the wind and start driving it. We're only here so long…and who knows how long we'll be able to drive cars at all—so what's another 3,000 to 30,000 miles on that car? It'll still be one of the best in the world, if not the best.

pete

Pete,
Paid a visit to Auto Atlanta a few weeks ago and although George was not there, I can attest they are "locked up like a static model" as my picture shows. Literally behind glass.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 4 2018, 11:58 AM) *

Pete,
Paid a visit to Auto Atlanta a few weeks ago and although George was not there, I can attest they are "locked up like a static model" as my picture shows. Literally behind glass.
driving.gif white914.jpg
Click to view attachment

And there it is: A photo of a two-comma 914 collection. wacko.gif Not sure I would have/could have predicted we'd get here so soon, if ever…

If the other Willow car was $140k plus, how do you value this one—or the flared cars or the 916? It's pretty neat that this collection exists in one place, but the thing I love most about 914s is there are still plenty of them being driven, modified, restored, and enjoyed—however one does that...even if it's by preserving them behind glass. Wonder how the fire protection is at AA? We lost a time-capsule, no-mileage '73 RSR 2.8 out here to a fire not so long ago, probably one of the best two remaining examples in the world. Four decades of preserving, and non-driving, was for naught....
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 4 2018, 12:30 PM) *

If the other Willow car was $140k plus, how do you value this one—or the flared cars or the 916?

Since there are several absolutely unique cars in that collection, and several others that are simply the nicest examples of a short production run, there is really only one person who can value it. That's George, because he knows how much cash someone would have to wave at him to get him to part with one of these cars. (I know that he was asking $365K for the 916 a dozen or so years ago; I bet that won't come close to getting it now!) The simple answer is: WE can't value it.

--DD
DRPHIL914
Values are an interesting discussion. judging and choosing one car over another for a show or concour is very subjective in many ways. Yes there are guidlines for those but its hard sometimes to understand.
2 people determine value, buyer and seller. yes like anything supply and demand are in there driving market but you cant explain measure or predict the effect of a buyers’ desire to own a specific make and model. suddenly a car that maybe should be $25,000 sells for $35,000.
I spent the past 2 days at the Hilton Head Island Concours and had my car at the saturday Car club showcase. We had a dozen cars as part of our PCA chapter I was the only 914, although there was a nice tangerine 1970 /6 here today in one of the groups being judged against 10 other cars, several were 356’s and one very rare pristine recent restores cars, one of five of that model. anyway it was very nice. I met the owner yesterday and we talked a lot about the 914 models and how they get judged. I also was right next to Vic Rola a long time PCA guy and our Zone rep, and struck up some new friendships here and i learned a ton here and was encouraged to do concours shows in future by him amd other porsche and non-porsche owners. I know a lot of you saw my car at the Okteenerfest and know how nice the new paint is and how clean a car it is, with almost every part replaced refinished or restored. It got a lot of choice votes ans a ton of love from the general public and most of the time i had a crowd surrounding the car, and yet no love from the judges. it was not concours judging but they were selecting special unique vehicles from each club to be recognized. so while i went into this just for the experience and to get a chance to show a nice 914 to the public, i have to admit that after looking at our cars group i was dissapointed that i didnt get selected. Even a PCA Concours judge was surprised and said he thought it was the second best car in our group. Whats their criteria? no one seems to know! Still had so much fun!
anyway i would just say no one can twll you what to do with your car. i say preserve those rare and pristine examples of models like Geoege has done and thanks for displaying them and brining them to shows for us to see and enjoy! but doe the others ,
do what makes you happy , use it drive it enjoy it. here isa picture of the /6 shown today.

mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 4 2018, 06:39 PM) *

Values are an interesting discussion. judging and choosing one car over another for a show or concour is very subjective in many ways. Yes there are guidlines for those but its hard sometimes to understand.
2 people determine value, buyer and seller. yes like anything supply and demand are in there driving market but you cant explain measure or predict the effect of a buyers’ desire to own a specific make and model. suddenly a car that maybe should be $25,000 sells for $35,000.
I spent the past 2 days at the Hilton Head Island Concours and had my car at the saturday Car club showcase. We had a dozen cars as part of our PCA chapter I was the only 914, although there was a nice tangerine 1970 /6 here today in one of the groups being judged against 10 other cars, several were 356’s and one very rare pristine recent restores cars, one of five of that model. anyway it was very nice. I met the owner yesterday and we talked a lot about the 914 models and how they get judged. I also was right next to Vic Rola a long time PCA guy and our Zone rep, and struck up some new friendships here and i learned a ton here and was encouraged to do concours shows in future by him amd other porsche and non-porsche owners. I know a lot of you saw my car at the Okteenerfest and know how nice the new paint is and how clean a car it is, with almost every part replaced refinished or restored. It got a lot of choice votes ans a ton of love from the general public and most of the time i had a crowd surrounding the car, and yet no love from the judges. it was not concours judging but they were selecting special unique vehicles from each club to be recognized. so while i went into this just for the experience and to get a chance to show a nice 914 to the public, i have to admit that after looking at our cars group i was dissapointed that i didnt get selected. Even a PCA Concours judge was surprised and said he thought it was the second best car in our group. Whats their criteria? no one seems to know! Still had so much fun!
anyway i would just say no one can twll you what to do with your car. i say preserve those rare and pristine examples of models like Geoege has done and thanks for displaying them and brining them to shows for us to see and enjoy! but doe the others ,
do what makes you happy , use it drive it enjoy it. here isa picture of the /6 shown today.

Judging is different than value. There is a lot of politics in judging, especially at the top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.