Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 914 owner! Already dreaming of engine swaps..., What would you guys think about a 4A-GE blacktop in a 914?
Larmo63
post Nov 9 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I read this thread thinking I was logged into 914 World.

Where am I? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Nov 9 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 22,446

QUOTE(betz @ Nov 9 2018, 02:11 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Alfa owners on suicide watch now

Looks like you're doing a Subaru H6.. is that using the Subaru trans also?

Yeah I'm running a short geared suby 5 speed.

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 9 2018, 02:53 PM) *

I read this thread thinking I was logged into 914 World.

Where am I? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/beta-static.photobucket.com-22446-1541806191.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Nov 9 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #43

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Buy it for the Brembo calipers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
djway
post Nov 9 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 19,266

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPgE40t4dc

Well while we are dreaming
Matra V12
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 10 2018, 01:07 AM
Post #45

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

More motivation... K20A2 Porsche 911

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.staticflickr.com-431-1541833657.1.jpg)

Attached Image

I did my Nissan VQ30DE swap back in 2000 before forums existed. Fairly easy to do. The most time consuming part was going page by page thru the FSM to find and wire the dozen separate ECU power connections and the gauge wiring. Then after it's running you have to go thru it all again to make it pretty... it's one of the laws of swapping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Don't listen to the old folks... 200hp IS the sweet spot.

A T4 power build makes sense if you do it yourself, then the bill is under $2k. Otherwise a modern FI motor swap makes more sense.

My old timer advice is to attend one of the World events next year and drive a few cars. Then you will have a strong basis to decide on your power level and swap difficulty.
+Quote Post
betz
post Nov 10 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 22,593
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 9 2018, 11:07 PM) *

More motivation... K20A2 Porsche 911

I did my Nissan VQ30DE swap back in 2000 before forums existed. Fairly easy to do. The most time consuming part was going page by page thru the FSM to find and wire the dozen separate ECU power connections and the gauge wiring. Then after it's running you have to go thru it all again to make it pretty... it's one of the laws of swapping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Don't listen to the old folks... 200hp IS the sweet spot.

A T4 power build makes sense if you do it yourself, then the bill is under $2k. Otherwise a modern FI motor swap makes more sense.

My old timer advice is to attend one of the World events next year and drive a few cars. Then you will have a strong basis to decide on your power level and swap difficulty.

Man that K swapped 911.. 11.5 compression with a turbo is BOLD. I'm sure that build costed a fortune.

That's actually the part I also figured would be the most time consuming. Which is why a motor with a lot of info floating about and aftermarket would be so useful. I've already looked at some gauges even, ideally I'd like to modify mine to accept the correct signal and go to a higher RPM but that's probably more trouble than it's worth. It's just I like the 914 gauges... Oh well.

So, with a T4 build that would cost me $2k.. what kit/ stuff would I be buying? Because I have an engine builder dude I worked with to make my E30 stroker happen. He can do whatever I can't, like a 3 angle valve job, hone the cylinders, etc. I do like the idea of a really hotted up type 4 with dual Webers, also. But obviously would rather have a swap, especially if the cost difference wasn't that much, or the outcome of the T4 was barely over 100hp.

In any case I would be doing as much of this as I can on my own. I plan to even sand it down myself however getting someone else to paint it. My friend owns a shop and has a lot of contacts in the auto world, so I can probably get it done for a very reasonable price.

The custom work, I plan on designing in solidworks and bringing into my own workplace where they should be able to make it happen. Little parts I can probably get done for free but an engine cradle or something I'd have to pay some hourly rate.

And, I definitely plan on driving/ riding in some cars before deciding, definitely. When are the events and are there some in California?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 10 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #47

Jackstands are my life.

Most of the Subie guys use SpeedHut gauges. Mainly because of the lack of a cable speedo drive on the Subie trans and VSS math being a bitch. I used a Nissan gauge cluster with a VSS converter.

T4 build would be stroker crank, fatter pistons & cylinders, head work w/ bigger valves, and hot cam, plus carbs or FI. Labor extra $$.
I have an 80s built 2.4L in the garage. Stock 2L crank and machined 4" SBC pistons. That was a torquey beast until it melted #3. Nobody builds them that way anymore for a reason.

I built my crossbar on the car off a basic drawing. Some things you just can't measure. Plus it's faster.

+Quote Post
betz
post Nov 10 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #48

I've been sick the past few days, but I couldn't help but fuss with the 914 a bit.

Got a couple of suspicious things going on. I plugged the fuel pump in, but with the ignition on it does not power the fuel pump. I have the supply line disconnected, and even tried cranking but no fuel is coming out.

Tested voltage at the fuel pump plug, I'm reading 6V. Don't know why it's not 12.. and seems a little suspicious that it's exactly half. Tomorrow I'll try putting in the new bosch 69133 fuel pump. If it doesn't work ill just jump the wires... maybe put a switch in like a race car lol.

But yeah, at this point I'm thinking, sort out the fuel pump and It'll probably run. Hopefully.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Nov 11 2018, 05:52 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(betz @ Nov 9 2018, 03:35 PM) *

Somebody talk me out of buying this guy and pulling the engine out of it..

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/alfa...6743361233.html

Man, that would be glorious

I've seen a flat four alfa in a Puma..... and I built something a little outside the box. 4cyl watercooled volks engines with a Kennedy adaptor fit. I've seen video of a 16 valve with webers which would be an easy build. I went a little different, more torque and less revs, VW AAZ diesel. can be pushed to 6000 rpm and 30 pounds boost, or so I'm told. Mine isn't that hot yet.. but I think I have the revs. haven't had it on a dyno.Very simple with a mechanical diesel, one wire to the injection pump for fuel shutoff and hook up the starter to make it run.
Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it. Lots of options out there. Whatever floats your boat.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 11 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #50

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I did my Nissan VQ30DE swap back in 2000 before forums existed....

I have heard either this car, or another one with the same engine, running. The engine note is FECKING EERIE!!! Sent chills up my spine. Very cool swap, though not a car I would own.

--DD
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Nov 11 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 22,446

QUOTE(betz @ Nov 10 2018, 04:17 PM) *

I've been sick the past few days, but I couldn't help but fuss with the 914 a bit.

Got a couple of suspicious things going on. I plugged the fuel pump in, but with the ignition on it does not power the fuel pump. I have the supply line disconnected, and even tried cranking but no fuel is coming out.

Tested voltage at the fuel pump plug, I'm reading 6V. Don't know why it's not 12.. and seems a little suspicious that it's exactly half. Tomorrow I'll try putting in the new bosch 69133 fuel pump. If it doesn't work ill just jump the wires... maybe put a switch in like a race car lol.

But yeah, at this point I'm thinking, sort out the fuel pump and It'll probably run. Hopefully.

Check all your fuses and all the connections at the relay board in the engine bay. Actually disconnect them and inspect them closely. Also check all your grounds and make sure they are clean and tight.

There may be a seat belt ignition interrupt under the passenger seat also. You can bypass it buy connecting the two big yellow wires.
+Quote Post
betz
post Nov 11 2018, 04:45 PM
Post #52

I got it started!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JbdxmKZtnSXDmpheA

I am still clueless about the relays. Jumping the wire at the relay, I get 12V at the plug. Switching relays with another I get no difference, no matter the relay. Removing the relay at the top (closest to the driver seat) now the fuel pump plug jumps up to 10V. Wth? Oh well, f it, that's good enough, time to send itttt!

I confirmed the fuel pump was functioning properly with ignition and cranking. Then I jumped the wire to drain the fuel. Filled fuel connected it back up.. in oh there's a leak at the fuel pump. Probably because the fuel pressure was so high since there was no vacuum. I said screw it and tried to start it... Started on the first try!

I will now take a shower after bathing in fuel earlier. Later I'll muster up the courage to drive the thing! So excited. It sounds like it's running pretty smooth!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 11 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #53

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Awesome! Do a minor tune up and keep driving it! The biggest problem with engine swap cars? They spend most of the time getting bugs worked out while stock motor cars get driven!

The good thing about 914s is you can get the whole thing running on a bench before you swap the motor/trans in. This means you can figure out your fueling, your wiring, the engine itself, shifter, ect then just have a small downtime for mounting and hooking up everything...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 11 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #54

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I'm a big advocate of the Audi 20v turbo. I'm a little less HP than Andyrew but that was my goal. reliability over max HP.

Just fixed a limp mode issue at a bad connector on my DBW throttle and I bought an op-amp style throttle booster. It seems to reduce pedal throw quite a bit. Since the car is so light, I leave it on 10% increase.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Nov 11 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #55

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Nice to meet you today betz, will be watching the progress of your build.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 11 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #56

Jackstands are my life.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 11 2018, 11:35 AM) *

I did my Nissan VQ30DE swap back in 2000 before forums existed....

I have heard either this car, or another one with the same engine, running. The engine note is FECKING EERIE!!! Sent chills up my spine. Very cool swap, though not a car I would own.

--DD

Probably WCC'05 in Reno/Tahoe area. Had it WOT up the hill after the candy store stop and several people commented. The 911 stock banana muffler worked out really well in the sound department.
+Quote Post
betz
post Nov 12 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #57

I think my next step is to track down this weird issue with idle. When I start it, it seems to idle fairly normal and smoothly. Probably a bit high at like 1500 RPM. I don't know what RPM because the tach is completely dead. Give it gas, and it will hang out at like 3500 or 4000 and hang out there for a few minutes at least. It sounds pretty obnoxious lol.

I took it round the block, drives better than expected. No RPMs, no speedo, and my hood bounced open once.. but the steering feels incredibly light which was surpising as hell. Given no power steering. I did not need to use the throttle because the RPMs were high enough to move the car plenty. It was really the only way to make it shut up a bit actually.

I'm thinking check for vacuum leaks, maybe confirm timing etc. But the rev hang thing has me scratching my head for sure.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 12 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #58

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

First: FUEL LEAKS BAD!!! Make sure you deal with that; too many of these cars have burned to the ground.

Second: A hanging idle is often caused by timing that is too far advanced. If the centrifugal advance weights stick, which they can do after a few decades, that can cause this. Also having the vacuum dashpot hooked up wrong can do it. Vacuum leaks are another possibility, as they generally cause high idle.

--DD
+Quote Post
betz
post Nov 12 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 12 2018, 02:33 PM) *

First: FUEL LEAKS BAD!!! Make sure you deal with that; too many of these cars have burned to the ground.

Second: A hanging idle is often caused by timing that is too far advanced. If the centrifugal advance weights stick, which they can do after a few decades, that can cause this. Also having the vacuum dashpot hooked up wrong can do it. Vacuum leaks are another possibility, as they generally cause high idle.

--DD

I mean, the fuel pump only leaked when jumping the wire. Still, I already have the new one and will be putting it in for sure. I'll be looking at the ignition and distributor next.

After driving the 914 I think I might just go a different direction for engine swaps. Super cheap.. but still cool. Subaru Frankenmotor- the 2.5L with 2.2 SOHC heads, give it some nice cams, 3 angle valve job, maybe some mild porting. Good for about 200hp. I can easily buy the engine pieces opportunistically, and save a lot of money. This'll make me feel better about investing towards some fun stuff.. maybe ITB's? :0

I was even thinking of using the EJ251 harness & ECU because it already runs off a MAP...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 12 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #60

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My feeling was to do my suby swap with a cheap but fun engine - SVX, eg33 - $500 for the whole car, get it running, and then play from there. I’m just waiting on assembly.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:20 AM