Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 4R in 000 Magazine
marksGTV
post Nov 22 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,577
Region Association: North East States

I wasn’t aware of this model and it’s quite impressive. Does anyone here subscribe to 000? Did you see the feature on the car?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 26)
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 26 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 26 2018, 11:07 AM) *

I have not read the article... so please forgive me if the concept of how to achieve 1700lbs is already spelled out...

but I do not honestly believe that 1700 lbs is achievable in a street car with lights or glass. even with carbon fiber and everything else.

my car is down to about 1815 currently... and there really is not much more on it that could be structurally or cosmetically replaced

sure I could use CF parts in place of metal or fiberglass... but I am certain that those would result in 5pounds.. or 10 pounds... not 100
I even used aircraft wiring with thinner insulation...

I just don't think its doable in a metal shell, and I don't see anyone making CF shells in autoclaves for a 914 (ever)

"My vintage race car 914/6 2.0S with twin plug, all metal body panels, 19quarts of oil, 4 gal fuel, 1826 lbs" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Agree on CF vs various metal parts of FG.

Article does address the how. Your car is impressively light with a heavy air-cooled six and all metal body panels (like mine) plus 19 quarts of oil—but swapping to a four would get you into the 1700s, and the 4R uses glass only for its windshield. Aluminum/ceramic brake rotors, lightweight suspension pieces front and rear, etc would also help. Is the target of low 1700s with Gorilla glass windows and minimal carpeting doable? I don't know, but I think it's possible if someone really worked at it. Anything under 1800 would be wonderful with a 2.5 turbo, though…
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 26 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

maybe...
but at a huge cost.

carbon fiber brakes
aluminum suspension components
I can see those steps shedding another 80lbs.

but I think that adding lights, heat, or any interior back is going to offset the brakes and suspension

it would be really really tough in a -6
a -4 could do it though

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 26 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 26 2018, 12:42 PM) *

maybe...
but at a huge cost.

Yep. Idea here was, what would a 914 hot rod at Singer money look like? Fun to dream…
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 26 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 26 2018, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 26 2018, 12:42 PM) *

maybe...
but at a huge cost.

Yep. Idea here was, what would a 914 hot rod at Singer money look like? Fun to dream…

a fun idea
and the kind of concept that is partially the reason you have always been at the helm of the best magazines!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I penciled up a 1700lb early 4. The biggest expense is glass hoods and bumpers. The rest is mostly removing parts and reproducing side and rear glass in plastic. Streetable, very bare but should help the power to weight ratio if the stock 1.7 as well as braking and handling.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 26 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

"Wild 6" used to be lighter than that--back when it was a four-cylinder. The builder was fairly obsessed with weight; he kept four-bolt hubs because the rotors and hubs were lighter, for instance. His was the kind of car that either posted TToD or broke; nothing in between.

The car significantly evolved after it passed to the next owner.

--DD
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 27 2018, 12:57 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 26 2018, 09:24 PM) *

"Wild 6" used to be lighter than that--back when it was a four-cylinder. The builder was fairly obsessed with weight; he kept four-bolt hubs because the rotors and hubs were lighter, for instance. His was the kind of car that either posted TToD or broke; nothing in between.

The car significantly evolved after it passed to the next owner.

--DD

^ Yes, seem to recall 914-4s into the 1600s were very possible…and these weren't high tech when it came to materials, or six-figure builds for that matter. I added 100~ lbs to account for a windshield, roof, and windows and counted on lightweighting to counter the modern 718 engine and gearbox. If any of you are familiar with the 964 project of "rdlinton" on Rennlist, you'll know where some of the inspiration for this 914 came from.

I suspect the cost to build really would be Singer money—say, $500,000 to $1,500,000. Yes, plainly ridiculous money for a 914 hot rod…money I don't have and would have an even harder time justifying for something like this. But I'll say this: I'd rather have the 4R than a real 914-6 GT or top-shelf RS 2.7. Or, for that matter, a 288 GTO or any number of other exotics. Much as I love those cars, and that's a lot, I'm not sure I would drive such collectibles the way I would drive this thing on track days, autocrosses, and various grassroots rallies.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 04:40 PM