Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> COLD Weather Start - 70 Ice Princess and 74 Cold Champ, Wow - better than I thought
ctc911ctc
post Nov 23 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Hi,

My first 914 was in '72, signal orange 1.7 - guy before me smoked a pipe, remember that odor like it was yesterday - ugh. The car was a great car dependable until it was very cold. Then all the grinding in the world would not get it started. Years later, pondering this car and its reluctance to cold-start, I have come to believe that it was either the ignition switch or fuel pump, but will never know for sure. When it would not start - it would not start! No jumping or spraying-ether would get it going. As soon as it warmed....No Problem....then the next cold day it would start fine, lull you into confidence and then:
Attached Image
[Ice Princess in all of her glory]

First date with 'that girl' at a movie theater, came out after the late show and the car did not start - we had to beg the theater manager to let us in to make a call. Feb, Chicago - Very, very cold....sigh. Her father picked her up, I had to walk home....long story........

Anyway, yesterday while grilling the turkey in the Weber, I thought we should see how our newly rebuilt '74 2.0 might start in this weather. It was 10 degrees Fahrenheit and........... First try no more that 1 revolution of the crank. Started right up. Oh, and the cold start injector is not even hooked up the the fuel rail! Still will be a bit gun shy of 914s since that cold night with Signal Orange, that girl and her angry father.....

Thanks for reading!

CTC911CTC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 05:50 AM