Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COLD Weather Start - 70 Ice Princess and 74 Cold Champ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Hi,

My first 914 was in '72, signal orange 1.7 - guy before me smoked a pipe, remember that odor like it was yesterday - ugh. The car was a great car dependable until it was very cold. Then all the grinding in the world would not get it started. Years later, pondering this car and its reluctance to cold-start, I have come to believe that it was either the ignition switch or fuel pump, but will never know for sure. When it would not start - it would not start! No jumping or spraying-ether would get it going. As soon as it warmed....No Problem....then the next cold day it would start fine, lull you into confidence and then:
Click to view attachment
[Ice Princess in all of her glory]

First date with 'that girl' at a movie theater, came out after the late show and the car did not start - we had to beg the theater manager to let us in to make a call. Feb, Chicago - Very, very cold....sigh. Her father picked her up, I had to walk home....long story........

Anyway, yesterday while grilling the turkey in the Weber, I thought we should see how our newly rebuilt '74 2.0 might start in this weather. It was 10 degrees Fahrenheit and........... First try no more that 1 revolution of the crank. Started right up. Oh, and the cold start injector is not even hooked up the the fuel rail! Still will be a bit gun shy of 914s since that cold night with Signal Orange, that girl and her angry father.....

Thanks for reading!

CTC911CTC
ctc911ctc
QUESTION: Has anyone ever experienced intermittent cold start failure like I did with Ice Princess? If so, what problem caused it.......

Thank you in advance!

Cary

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Nov 23 2018, 05:22 PM) *

Hi,

My first 914 was in '72, signal orange 1.7 - guy before me smoked a pipe, remember that odor like it was yesterday - ugh. The car was a great car dependable until it was very cold. Then all the grinding in the world would not get it started. Years later, pondering this car and its reluctance to cold-start, I have come to believe that it was either the ignition switch or fuel pump, but will never know for sure. When it would not start - it would not start! No jumping or spraying-ether would get it going. As soon as it warmed....No Problem....then the next cold day it would start fine, lull you into confidence and then:
Click to view attachment
[Ice Princess in all of her glory]

First date with 'that girl' at a movie theater, came out after the late show and the car did not start - we had to beg the theater manager to let us in to make a call. Feb, Chicago - Very, very cold....sigh. Her father picked her up, I had to walk home....long story........

Anyway, yesterday while grilling the turkey in the Weber, I thought we should see how our newly rebuilt '74 2.0 might start in this weather. It was 10 degrees Fahrenheit and........... First try no more that 1 revolution of the crank. Started right up. Oh, and the cold start injector is not even hooked up the the fuel rail! Still will be a bit gun shy of 914s since that cold night with Signal Orange, that girl and her angry father.....

Thanks for reading!

CTC911CTC

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.