Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do the sunvisors work? Yes - I am really asking that...
mark04usa
post Dec 3 2018, 12:07 AM
Post #21

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

Well, differ all you want to, Lawrence...but you are incorrect as shown by the photos. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I guess the post was not read and understood??? As the photo I took shows, I followed Tom's description, and you can see that my sun visor does swivel out because the outter bracket is made to do this. Even has a bump stop at 90 angle. Try it, and you will see that it does work...just not very well as it is setup in a 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 3 2018, 12:16 AM
Post #22

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

They don't swivel. There is a pin on each end that is attached to a clip. So does yours have the clip at the center of the windshield by the mirror? If so, I would like to see how it is held in place as they are not designed swivel to the side.
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Dec 3 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #23

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Dec 3 2018, 12:16 AM) *

They don't swivel. There is a pin on each end that is attached to a clip. So does yours have the clip at the center of the windshield by the mirror? If so, I would like to see how it is held in place as they are not designed swivel to the side.

Gerald, please read Tom's post...and mine...and look at the photos. I tried using the visor just as Tom described (yes, mine are original 1970 visors and hardware)....and mine do indeed swivel. So, though I did not believe that Tom was correct, I did the next step and actually investigated. I would suggest you guys actually read what was stated and try for yourselves before you try to further argue with my photo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 3 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #24

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

So, you have to leave the screw on the outside mount loose, then remove the visor from the center pin to swivel it? I do not believe Porsche engineers designed it this way. I bought my first 914 from the dealer brand new in 1973. All the screws on the visor mounts were tight. If they really meant it to swivel, they would have come up with something better than that. If you leave that screw loose the weight of the visor will eventually strip the hole where the sheet metal screw inserts. Just my opinion
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 3 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2018, 09:02 AM) *

Where were you with that advise oh, say, 15 years ago? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Back on topic - I am happy this seemingly simple question has spawned this level of discussion and information sharing.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 3 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #27

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Dec 3 2018, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Dec 3 2018, 12:16 AM) *

Gerald, please read Tom's post...and mine...and look at the photos. I tried using the visor just as Tom described (yes, mine are original 1970 visors and hardware)....and mine do indeed swivel. So, though I did not believe that Tom was correct, I did the next step and actually investigated. I would suggest you guys actually read what was stated and try for yourselves before you try to further argue with my photo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I did read it. They don't swivel, not by design anyway. Show me how yours are mounted by the center pin. The only way you can do it is by what Curt said and that is not how they are designed to work.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 3 2018, 09:40 AM) *

Where were you with that advise oh, say, 15 years ago? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

35 years ago. My first 914. I was 17. Driving through the snow with a pretty girl in the passenger seat. Drove by a sledding hill. Used the targa top as a sled. It worked but I’m betting the Porsche designers wouldn’t have approved.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 3 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #29

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Nor would your peers here today! Lol
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Dec 3 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This post is fun. Porsche 914 Design Team in 1970, "Hey team, if the owner's screw is loose he can rotate the visor for side window use. Porsche Cayenne design team in 2009. "Hey team, let's overdesign this visor so much that it will require two pages to describe in the owner's manual. My '09 CTTS has a dual visor arrangement on each side with the front one not only hinged but pivoting while the one behind it is only vertically hinged. My old Cayenne S TE even had a third visor in the center to flip down to block the area above the rear view mirror. Yup, if they had designed the 914's visors to pivot horizontally it would be obvious and not based on a loosened fitting.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Dec 3 2018, 06:53 PM) *

This post is fun. Porsche 914 Design Team in 1970, "Hey team, if the owner's screw is loose he can rotate the visor for side window use. Porsche Cayenne design team in 2009. "Hey team, let's overdesign this visor so much that it will two pages to describe in the owner's manual. My '09 CTTS has a dual visor arrangement on each side with the front one not only hinged but pivoting while the one behind it is only vertically hinged. My old Cayenne S TE even had a third visor in the center to flip down to block the area above the rear view mirror. Yup, if they had designed the 914's visors to pivot horizontally it would be obvious and not based on a loosened fitting.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) German, not British.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 3 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2018, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 3 2018, 09:40 AM) *

35 years ago. My first 914. I was 17. Driving through the snow with a pretty girl in the passenger seat. Drove by a sledding hill. Used the targa top as a sled. It worked but I’m betting the Porsche designers wouldn’t have approved.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) If they'd have thought of that, it would be in a brochure somewhere. They didn't design the hood as a tanning bed either. Yet, there are those two bikini chicks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 3 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #33

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I am curious about what happens to the center pivot when people swivel their visors to the side.

I did have one that did that, but the center pivot had broken. The plastic around the metal pin on the driver's side had failed, so the pin would not stay in the plastic part. Then, if the side screw were loose, you could actually pivot the visor to the side.

It would do that on its own, in fact. Because the center mount was broken, you see.

That being said, I do have visors that swivel in my car. Someone along the way designed (or adapted from another car) a center pivot that has small concavities that the inboard pins fit into. The outer pivots were re-designed with a cylindrical piece that does pivot on an offset screw near the mounting screw.

They don't work very well, though. The concavities don't hold the inboard pins very well, so they tend to flop around. Also, the mounting screw loosens up when you swivel the shades more than a couple of times, so the whole thing starts moving in an odd way.

... But the stock setup doesn't pivot unless something is broken ...

--DD
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Dec 3 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I agree.
Stock setup when correctly installed and the screws are tight.....sunvisors do not swivel.
And were never designed to do so.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 06:24 PM