Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do the sunvisors work? Yes - I am really asking that...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Yeah, I know, but absent a car with working ones it is a more legitimate question then it might initially appear. Maybe.

So I understand that something he has to rotate-but I'm not sure if is the clip mounted to the roof of the car where the sunvisor rod extends into the clips that rotate, or if the rods that extend out from the sunvisor rotate?

I went to install my visors on the 1973 car and the mounting piece that holds the visor and screws into the roof broke when I tried to rotate it, so something is locked up and I'd like to know how it works so I can fix it before a break another clip.

( in my defense, none of the cars have sunvisors installed at this point so thanks for humoring the question)
mepstein
Small clip in the sun visor tightens around the stationary rod. Adjustable tension with the sun visor screw. Just enough tension to hold it in place. You have to have a light touch when you rotate them.

sb914
Click to view attachment poke.gif
Tdskip
Ah - so if the clip that screw into the roof is too tight things will break. SoCal heat probably makes these brittle over time as well.

Got it.

Thanks!

mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 30 2018, 09:27 AM) *

Ah - so if the clip that screw into the roof is too tight things will break. SoCal heat probably makes these brittle over time as well.

Got it.

Thanks!

Yes, A light touch or It will round out the hole in the plastic that is notched for the end of the pin.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the key is to sink the visor pin into the visor clip firmly even glue it in, then mount the visor to the center peg first, then add the outer peg and lift it up, put the screw in the outer clip peg assembly and finally tension the screws just enough to hold the visor up

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 30 2018, 07:08 AM) *

Yeah, I know, but absent a car with working ones it is a more legitimate question then it might initially appear. Maybe.

So I understand that something he has to rotate-but I'm not sure if is the clip mounted to the roof of the car where the sunvisor rod extends into the clips that rotate, or if the rods that extend out from the sunvisor rotate?

I went to install my visors on the 1973 car and the mounting piece that holds the visor and screws into the roof broke when I tried to rotate it, so something is locked up and I'd like to know how it works so I can fix it before a break another clip.

( in my defense, none of the cars have sunvisors installed at this point so thanks for humoring the question)

Tdskip
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 30 2018, 10:07 AM) *

the key is to sink the visor pin into the visor clip firmly even glue it in, then mount the visor to the center peg first, then add the outer peg and lift it up, put the screw in the outer clip peg assembly and finally tension the screws just enough to hold the visor up

Thanks George!

EDIT - that was supposed to be an!
Tom_T
Tdskip -

Also note that there are replacement clips still available from all sorts of sources, in aftermarket repros, & maybe still OEM.

So replace all 4 clips if they're crusty, since they're not too expensive.

Everything from a full set of repro visors with pins & clips - to them individually is available both here & in Europe now.

I got a full visor-pins-clips set of these with the left map pocket & right vanity mirror with flap a coupla-few years back - before the US sellers were carrying them - & BTW, they also have the early no-mirror type (70-71 MY IIRC - check at p914.com -.org & -.net to be sure if you care for originality).

https://oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de/Sun-visor...for-Porsche-914

They sell full sets with & without the vanity mirror/flap, as well as the pin & bracket set alone, & they are all heat seamed as with the originals (many repros are stitched), & their vinyl leatherette material is close, but not an exact match to the originals & whats on the 914 dash & other pads, etc.

Follow what Mark & George said above to install, & tighten the screws in the visors last with only enough tension to keep them in place up, down, in between, & the side against the outboard swiveling bracket needs to stay loose enough to also slide - so that you can slide the visor away from the center brackets & allow it to swivel over to the side windows.

IIRC your owners manual has some instructions on them too.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 30 2018, 11:14 AM) *

Tdskip -

Also note that there are replacement clips still available from all sorts of sources, in aftermarket repros, & maybe still OEM.

So replace all 4 clips if they're crusty, since they're not too expensive.

Everything from a full set of repro visors with pins & clips - to them individually is available both here & in Europe now.

I got a full visor-pins-clips set of these with the left map pocket & right vanity mirror with flap a coupla-few years back - before the US sellers were carrying them - & BTW, they also have the early no-mirror type (70-71 MY IIRC - check at p914.com -.org & -.net to be sure if you care for originality).

https://oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de/Sun-visor...for-Porsche-914

They sell full sets with & without the vanity mirror/flap, as well as the pin & bracket set alone, & they are all heat seamed as with the originals (many repros are stitched), & their vinyl leatherette material is close, but not an exact match to the originals & whats on the 914 dash & other pads, etc.

Follow what Mark & George said above to install, & tighten the screws in the visors last with only enough tension to keep them in place up, down, in between, & the side against the outboard swiveling bracket needs to stay loose enough to also slide - so that you can slide the visor away from the center brackets & allow it to swivel over to the side windows.

IIRC your owners manual has some instructions on them too.

beerchug.gif

///////

Tom - you must be thinking of another car. 914 sun visors don’t swivel to the side windows.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2018, 09:41 AM) *

Tom - you must be thinking of another car. 914 sun visors don’t swivel to the side windows.

Well I don't know about yours Mark, but mine do!
.... & have since I bought in from the OO in 1975!

They pivot on the single screw on each of the outside mounts, & the center pins are flat to be able to slide in & out, while the flat locks it in place.

Or are you just jerking my chain Mark!? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Maybe try loosening the outer mount screws on yours Mark, & try swiveling them!? huh.gif
popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
popcorn[1].gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 30 2018, 02:30 PM) *

They pivot on the single screw on each of the outside mounts, & the center pins are flat to be able to slide in & out, while the flat locks it in place.

Maybe try loosening the outer mount screws on yours Mark, & try swiveling them!? huh.gif
popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I have never seen chrome visor pivot pins on a 75 car. All I have seen are black plastic. And never seen visors that swing to the side on a 914.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm with Bruce on this one, Tom. And, to the op, they do not attach to the roof, but the top of the windshield frame.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 30 2018, 05:30 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Mine don’t Tom. But mine are the 914Rubber ones so...

Not original. evilgrin.gif
mepstein
None of them swivel. Maybe you are thinking your vanagon?
TheCabinetmaker
I must say, i wish it were so. It's the only part of the car I've never liked.
mark04usa
Yes, it is true. Just as Tom has said, the stock 914 sun visors will swivel. I never knew this was possible in 42 years of 914 ownership! The feature doesn't work very well, though.Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Visors go up and down on the windshield only.

They do not swivel to the side windows or at least they weren't designed to.

WTF.gif
mark04usa
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 2 2018, 11:22 PM) *

Visors go up and down on the windshield only.

They do not swivel to the side windows or at least they weren't designed to.

WTF.gif

Well, as you can see in the photo, yes, they do indeed swivel (though not very usably well), so believe it or not, they do swivel and the outter brackets are made to do this. Probably used in a VW application as well with different center bracket. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
They are NOT designed to swivel.

There is one screw holding the keeper to the top of the windshield trim and it has an indentation where the keeper is supposed to be screwed down tight.

I beg to differ. chair.gif
mark04usa
Well, differ all you want to, Lawrence...but you are incorrect as shown by the photos. smile.gif I guess the post was not read and understood??? As the photo I took shows, I followed Tom's description, and you can see that my sun visor does swivel out because the outter bracket is made to do this. Even has a bump stop at 90 angle. Try it, and you will see that it does work...just not very well as it is setup in a 914.
GaroldShaffer
They don't swivel. There is a pin on each end that is attached to a clip. So does yours have the clip at the center of the windshield by the mirror? If so, I would like to see how it is held in place as they are not designed swivel to the side.
mark04usa
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Dec 3 2018, 12:16 AM) *

They don't swivel. There is a pin on each end that is attached to a clip. So does yours have the clip at the center of the windshield by the mirror? If so, I would like to see how it is held in place as they are not designed swivel to the side.

Gerald, please read Tom's post...and mine...and look at the photos. I tried using the visor just as Tom described (yes, mine are original 1970 visors and hardware)....and mine do indeed swivel. So, though I did not believe that Tom was correct, I did the next step and actually investigated. I would suggest you guys actually read what was stated and try for yourselves before you try to further argue with my photo biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
So, you have to leave the screw on the outside mount loose, then remove the visor from the center pin to swivel it? I do not believe Porsche engineers designed it this way. I bought my first 914 from the dealer brand new in 1973. All the screws on the visor mounts were tight. If they really meant it to swivel, they would have come up with something better than that. If you leave that screw loose the weight of the visor will eventually strip the hole where the sheet metal screw inserts. Just my opinion
mepstein
Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2018, 09:02 AM) *

Where were you with that advise oh, say, 15 years ago? biggrin.gif

Back on topic - I am happy this seemingly simple question has spawned this level of discussion and information sharing.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Dec 3 2018, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Dec 3 2018, 12:16 AM) *

Gerald, please read Tom's post...and mine...and look at the photos. I tried using the visor just as Tom described (yes, mine are original 1970 visors and hardware)....and mine do indeed swivel. So, though I did not believe that Tom was correct, I did the next step and actually investigated. I would suggest you guys actually read what was stated and try for yourselves before you try to further argue with my photo biggrin.gif

I did read it. They don't swivel, not by design anyway. Show me how yours are mounted by the center pin. The only way you can do it is by what Curt said and that is not how they are designed to work.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 3 2018, 09:40 AM) *

35 years ago. My first 914. I was 17. Driving through the snow with a pretty girl in the passenger seat. Drove by a sledding hill. Used the targa top as a sled. It worked but I’m betting the Porsche designers wouldn’t have approved.
TheCabinetmaker
Nor would your peers here today! Lol
scallyk9
This post is fun. Porsche 914 Design Team in 1970, "Hey team, if the owner's screw is loose he can rotate the visor for side window use. Porsche Cayenne design team in 2009. "Hey team, let's overdesign this visor so much that it will require two pages to describe in the owner's manual. My '09 CTTS has a dual visor arrangement on each side with the front one not only hinged but pivoting while the one behind it is only vertically hinged. My old Cayenne S TE even had a third visor in the center to flip down to block the area above the rear view mirror. Yup, if they had designed the 914's visors to pivot horizontally it would be obvious and not based on a loosened fitting.
mepstein
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Dec 3 2018, 06:53 PM) *

This post is fun. Porsche 914 Design Team in 1970, "Hey team, if the owner's screw is loose he can rotate the visor for side window use. Porsche Cayenne design team in 2009. "Hey team, let's overdesign this visor so much that it will two pages to describe in the owner's manual. My '09 CTTS has a dual visor arrangement on each side with the front one not only hinged but pivoting while the one behind it is only vertically hinged. My old Cayenne S TE even had a third visor in the center to flip down to block the area above the rear view mirror. Yup, if they had designed the 914's visors to pivot horizontally it would be obvious and not based on a loosened fitting.

agree.gif German, not British.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2018, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 3 2018, 09:40 AM) *

35 years ago. My first 914. I was 17. Driving through the snow with a pretty girl in the passenger seat. Drove by a sledding hill. Used the targa top as a sled. It worked but I’m betting the Porsche designers wouldn’t have approved.

bs.gif If they'd have thought of that, it would be in a brochure somewhere. They didn't design the hood as a tanning bed either. Yet, there are those two bikini chicks. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
I am curious about what happens to the center pivot when people swivel their visors to the side.

I did have one that did that, but the center pivot had broken. The plastic around the metal pin on the driver's side had failed, so the pin would not stay in the plastic part. Then, if the side screw were loose, you could actually pivot the visor to the side.

It would do that on its own, in fact. Because the center mount was broken, you see.

That being said, I do have visors that swivel in my car. Someone along the way designed (or adapted from another car) a center pivot that has small concavities that the inboard pins fit into. The outer pivots were re-designed with a cylindrical piece that does pivot on an offset screw near the mounting screw.

They don't work very well, though. The concavities don't hold the inboard pins very well, so they tend to flop around. Also, the mounting screw loosens up when you swivel the shades more than a couple of times, so the whole thing starts moving in an odd way.

... But the stock setup doesn't pivot unless something is broken ...

--DD
raynekat
I agree.
Stock setup when correctly installed and the screws are tight.....sunvisors do not swivel.
And were never designed to do so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.