Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 2.0L Rustoration, Restoration turned OT garage build
ndfrigi
post Jun 10 2022, 10:54 AM
Post #521

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

wow great work and update with your project! Almost done!
Just wondering also if you are keeping the front wheel well and front trunk under side black?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 10 2022, 06:58 PM
Post #522

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Suspension going on tomorrow!! a major victory is imminent !!

Also, with regards to the trunk floor being removed and the affect it has on the structure.
My youngest daughter is car shopping and has had Toyota, GM, .... she finally settled on a VW SUV and is all happy. She claims "it's just better", I said it's German engineering.

The krauts still have it, and always have
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
autopro
post Jun 11 2022, 12:12 PM
Post #523

Member No.: 21,797
Region Association: Southern California

You are moving so fast, kicking butt.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 12 2022, 03:44 PM
Post #524

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 10 2022, 12:54 PM) *

Just wondering also if you are keeping the front wheel well and front trunk under side black?

@ndfrigi
I prefer body color under there. Problem is the car came to me with undercoating. Since I didn't fully strip the chassis for the rust repair work, I'm forced to try to match what was already there.

Someday chassis will get completely stripped. Then It can be done properly in body color when it goes back to OEM Alaska Blue Metallic.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 12 2022, 03:57 PM
Post #525

914 Guru

Well, it's officially a rolling chassis. No brakes though -- just good enough to roll onto a trailer.

Attached Image

Seems odd to have it sitting so low. I've grown accustomed to safari height with it sitting on the build cart for so many years.

Bittersweet knowing that this is sort of the end of the line for it for a couple years while we get moved. First order of business is to build a shop built so I have a place to finish it.

A few of the pretty bits. Thanks to @mepstein for the plated torsion bar caps!

Front ARB is just there plugging the holes so water doesn't get in there during the transport.

Attached Image

The rear ARB drop links were a bit of a PITA but got those installed so I don't have the rear ARB just swinging around under there while in transport.

Attached Image

Unlike when the car was 1st transported to me - it now has the axle stubs to prevent the rear bearings from being damaged and/or separating.

Attached Image

As has been the theme of late, here's another public service announcement.

Make sure you have the right lugs for the wheels you're running.

Here's another case where I didn't pay much attention when I stripped the car down. Wheels are supposed to use Ball Seat lug nuts. Someone was using conical lug nuts. This is a dangerous combination.

Attached Image

Attached Image

You can see that there is only minor point contact between the wheel lug seats and the conical -- this is a really good way to have wheels come loose on you! Don't do this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Will work OK for my transport purposes but I'd never drive it like this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 13 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #526

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

Not under power, but a major milestone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) just seeing her on wheels must feel great
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 14 2022, 07:00 AM
Post #527

914 Guru

Airbox installed to give rain water a place to go when it inevitably gets rained on during transport.

Attached Image

Airbox was updated with new seals from the 914Rubber airbox kit Group Buy last summer.

Here's the super secret rework to get the Bowden cable seal installed. @Mikey914 Although the seal is a faithful reproduction of the OEM seal dimensionaly, the durometer is harder than my 50 year old seal and wouldn't install properly.

After much futility trying to install it without modification, I had to rework it.

Reshaped the backside to provide some lead in. The removal of some rubber also made it soft enough that it could be deformed and pushed though the hole with some trim sticks . . . and maybe some profanity. I don't know why but the profanity helps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Finally - installed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 14 2022, 11:10 AM
Post #528

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Profanity IA like cowbell. You can always use more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 14 2022, 12:12 PM
Post #529

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

We fit into a 75 to check this. Looks like there may be some variation.
Sounds like if we go to a softer durometer of rubber it would solve the problem. The current is 75 duro. We could drop to a Shore 60A and that would be more flexible.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 14 2022, 01:44 PM
Post #530

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 14 2022, 02:12 PM) *

We fit into a 75 to check this. Looks like there may be some variation.
Sounds like if we go to a softer durometer of rubber it would solve the problem. The current is 75 duro. We could drop to a Shore 60A and that would be more flexible.

@Mikey914

Remember those types of grommets were installed on a production line, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get one installed. Having lived a good portion of my life in assembly plants, I can tell you that grommet would stop the line, land an engineer in front of the plant manager, and the ergo committee in about 5 minutes flat.

Huge interrelationship between dimensions, durometer, and shape (form) as I'm sure you already know. All I can say is my 50 year old grommet is softer, and I'd expect that to be significantly age hardened.

That OEM seal design has a ton of meat behind it that has to be compressed a lot to go though the sheet metal You could probably drop down into the low 50's and still be fine. That grommet does nothing but guide 3 Bowden cables (that are already largely self supporting) and help seal the firewall from air / noise infiltration. A move down from 75 durometer would be a huge help.

Good excuse to fund a development fleet. You probably need a 70', a 73', and that 75'! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Thanks for looking into it.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 14 2022, 01:50 PM
Post #531

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

My biggest concern was that it wouldn't make a good seal. 75 Duro is a typical hardness. The sample I had was in great shape and tested out harder, so we tried to emulate that we had. If there is variation and they very well may be, the softer option should work well. I'll just have to double check it on an earlier car too. Which I now have.
-Mark
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 15 2022, 05:46 AM
Post #532

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Phil,

Looks great.. I am happy for you and your move. Someday I may move from Wisconsin to a place more weather friendly for activities year round. Don't be a stranger
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jun 15 2022, 06:49 AM
Post #533

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wow Phil, talk about under pressure. Great job! Car looks great. Ok, a few shortcuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
So what! Good enough for government work. Seriously, nice accomplishment.
Wish you plenty of luck with the move. I hope Mother Nature cooperates.
Can’t imagine the logistics of packing for cross country move.
I’m staying tuned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jun 15 2022, 08:19 AM
Post #534

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Phil I have a nice enclosed Featherlite that you can use for a few months while you move, but you would need to come get it. Let me know if I can help.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 2 2022, 01:20 PM
Post #535

914 Guru

Since I just can't seem to get into another day of packing boxes today I'll post a quick update on the 914 project and the move.

The 914 arrived on the other end successfully.

Attached Image

I hope I never have to move again unless it's to a hole 6' in the ground. Moving 2 cars, 5 motorcycles and a garage full of shop equipment has been a logistics challenge.

I did learn a good trick to using U-Haul's. Put down 3/4 plywood as a floor inside the box. That way, you can tie off stuff to the floor. Normally, this isn't possible since U-haul makes no provisions for actually tying stuff down other than their flimsy 3/4" thick wall boards.

Using the plywood floor, a variety of 2x4 blocking, and about 50 ratchet straps, I was able to get everything tied down. Nothing moved or shifted during the 2200 mile trip(s).

Attached Image

Attached Image

Once the 914 was on the other end, it was put into storage until I can get a garage erected.

The 914 didn't look so bad on the 1st load.

Attached Image

But after the 2nd trip, it's now thoroughly buried.

Attached Image

Final pickup of household stuff / furniture is in a couple weeks. Thankfully that will be done by professional movers.

I did leave my engine parts fairly accessible so maybe with a little luck, I might pull off an engine build (in the house) this winter -- don't mention this to my wife just yet ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) She won't be totally surprised though. The black motorcycle in the last picture is a 1964 Honda Dream. The engine to that one was built on the kitchen counter of my studio apartment when I was in college.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 2 2022, 04:57 PM
Post #536

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 2 2022, 01:20 PM) *

Attached Image

A little heads up so I could buy stock in tie-down straps would have been nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 14 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #537

914 Guru

Status Update. I guess since I can’t post on the 914, I’ll post an occasional update on what is keeping me from working on it.

The short version: I don’t have a garage yet. The 914 still languishing in storage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The garage foundation is almost complete. Slab pours next week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The 3’x3’ pads without heating are for hoist placement.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jun 16 2023, 12:16 AM
Post #538

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Very cool!! That’s one thing I wish I had done when we did my garage.

Any drawings of what the structure is going to look like? I don’t see any sill anchor bolts, are you drilling those in later or going some other route?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 16 2023, 10:07 AM
Post #539

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 14 2023, 07:16 PM) *

Status Update. I guess since I can’t post on the 914, I’ll post an occasional update on what is keeping me from working on it.

The short version: I don’t have a garage yet. The 914 still languishing in storage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The garage foundation is almost complete. Slab pours next week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The 3’x3’ pads without heating are for hoist placement.

So you aren't in Idaho anymore? Where did you land?

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 16 2023, 12:38 PM
Post #540

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jun 16 2023, 02:16 AM) *

Very cool!! That’s one thing I wish I had done when we did my garage.

Any drawings of what the structure is going to look like? I don’t see any sill anchor bolts, are you drilling those in later or going some other route?

Sill anchor bolts there - look down by the spray paint cans. Just don’t show up very well in the photo.

Structure will look something like this - haven’t entirely decided on exterior finishes.

2nd floor will be some storage and replacement for my finished basement / mancave I lost in the move
Attached Image
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 11:01 AM