Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TDC
Dave97
post Dec 26 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,285
Region Association: None

Is there a way to figure out number 1 TDC with the engine n the car? I don't see any factory marks on either the flywheel or fan. Someone painted the fan with marks. I checked with a timing light and curve works for the Mallory distributor at idle and at 3000. I was going to pull out the distributor. Ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Dec 26 2018, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,489
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dave97 @ Dec 26 2018, 11:06 PM) *

Is there a way to figure out number 1 TDC with the engine n the car? I don't see any factory marks on either the flywheel or fan. Someone painted the fan with marks. I checked with a timing light and curve works for the Mallory distributor at idle and at 3000. I was going to pull out the distributor. Ideas?

Best resource is @;

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm

Copying the link is way quicker than me rewriting it here.

Hope this helps
+Quote Post
mjrrti
post Dec 26 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #3

High Desert Member

Member No.: 16,959
Region Association: Southern California

Pull the plugs, follow the plug wire from #1 back to the cap and rotate the engine by hand until the rotor points at the #1 location on the cap. Look in the opening on the top and back (flywheel end) of the case. There should be a groove in the flywheel that lines with case halves where they join. That is TDC for 1 & 3. Make sure the rotor points at #1 in the dizzy and you should be there.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Dec 27 2018, 01:20 AM
Post #4

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

It is not easy to see. Everyone sees the v in the casting and thinks thats it but if you're not looking at the back side of the hole you are looking at the wrong v. There are 2 V's in that hole, one towards the front of the car and one towards the rear. It is easier to see with the engine cover off. It is almost straight down the rear of the hole.

Not that this has anything to do with this but is some funny shit. Do a search for "Chopsticks".
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:45 AM