Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Static Timing Help Needed, Getting Constant Voltage
Ansbacher
post Jan 6 2019, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,589

I am in the process of installing a 1.8L 205AA Vacuum Distributor in my dual carb setup. I am initially trying to static time it, but no matter where I turn the distributor, I get a constant 12V on my meter. It never goes to zero. I can see the points open and close but the voltage remains all the time. What's wrong here? Is there something I need to disconnect inside the 205AA dizzy since I am not fuel injected? Very puzzled and need HEEEELP !!!! Thanks.

Ansbacher
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 6 2019, 03:20 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 6 2019, 03:53 PM) *

I am in the process of installing a 1.8L 205AA Vacuum Distributor in my dual carb setup. I am initially trying to static time it, but no matter where I turn the distributor, I get a constant 12V on my meter. It never goes to zero. I can see the points open and close but the voltage remains all the time. What's wrong here? Is there something I need to disconnect inside the 205AA dizzy since I am not fuel injected? Very puzzled and need HEEEELP !!!! Thanks.

Ansbacher

Do you have the light on coil -?

Points or pertronix? IIRC some electronic points put out an odd signal and can only be set with a strobe.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jan 6 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Points or pertronix? IIRC some electronic points put out an odd signal and can only be set with a strobe.
[/quote]

Mark Henry - Using regular points. Can you describe the correct hook up to my meter when doing static timing- maybe I am doing it wrong.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 6 2019, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Points closed give a ground connection to the coil which always has a positive connection. So, remove the wire from the coil to the points and set your ohm meter to it and the other lead to ground. Then ohms will be zero with points closed and infinite when they open (or "break").
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jan 6 2019, 05:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 6 2019, 05:39 PM) *

Points closed give a ground connection to the coil which always has a positive connection. So, remove the wire from the coil to the points and set your ohm meter to it and the other lead to ground. Then ohms will be zero with points closed and infinite when they open (or "break").

Windsurfer - I believe I tried that and got NO CONTINUITY no matter where I spun the dizzy.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 6 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Remove distributor cap and with the meter set to Ohms, touch the points advance plates with one lead and ground with the other.
The points mount to that plate.
That plate has a woven ground strap that goes to the body of the distributor.
Sometimes that woven cable breaks.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jan 6 2019, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Thanks everyone. I am good to go now. I hooked the meter up "correctly" this time and all is well. Was able to set static timing, and things look to be in the proper orientation. Too late to try to start it tonight; will try it tomorrow.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 04:52 AM