Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Static Timing Help Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I am in the process of installing a 1.8L 205AA Vacuum Distributor in my dual carb setup. I am initially trying to static time it, but no matter where I turn the distributor, I get a constant 12V on my meter. It never goes to zero. I can see the points open and close but the voltage remains all the time. What's wrong here? Is there something I need to disconnect inside the 205AA dizzy since I am not fuel injected? Very puzzled and need HEEEELP !!!! Thanks.

Ansbacher
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 6 2019, 03:53 PM) *

I am in the process of installing a 1.8L 205AA Vacuum Distributor in my dual carb setup. I am initially trying to static time it, but no matter where I turn the distributor, I get a constant 12V on my meter. It never goes to zero. I can see the points open and close but the voltage remains all the time. What's wrong here? Is there something I need to disconnect inside the 205AA dizzy since I am not fuel injected? Very puzzled and need HEEEELP !!!! Thanks.

Ansbacher

Do you have the light on coil -?

Points or pertronix? IIRC some electronic points put out an odd signal and can only be set with a strobe.
Ansbacher

Points or pertronix? IIRC some electronic points put out an odd signal and can only be set with a strobe.
[/quote]

Mark Henry - Using regular points. Can you describe the correct hook up to my meter when doing static timing- maybe I am doing it wrong.

Ansbacher
wndsrfr

Points closed give a ground connection to the coil which always has a positive connection. So, remove the wire from the coil to the points and set your ohm meter to it and the other lead to ground. Then ohms will be zero with points closed and infinite when they open (or "break").
Ansbacher
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 6 2019, 05:39 PM) *

Points closed give a ground connection to the coil which always has a positive connection. So, remove the wire from the coil to the points and set your ohm meter to it and the other lead to ground. Then ohms will be zero with points closed and infinite when they open (or "break").

Windsurfer - I believe I tried that and got NO CONTINUITY no matter where I spun the dizzy.

Ansbacher
r_towle
Remove distributor cap and with the meter set to Ohms, touch the points advance plates with one lead and ground with the other.
The points mount to that plate.
That plate has a woven ground strap that goes to the body of the distributor.
Sometimes that woven cable breaks.
Ansbacher
Thanks everyone. I am good to go now. I hooked the meter up "correctly" this time and all is well. Was able to set static timing, and things look to be in the proper orientation. Too late to try to start it tonight; will try it tomorrow.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.