Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Adjustment On A Lift
Not_A_Six
post Jan 23 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,682
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi All-

I'm looking to get a 4-post lift to store my '73 2.0 over another vehicle. I get the trade-offs between 2- and 4-post lifts, and have pretty much decided on a 4-post for a bunch of reasons that I won't bore you with here.

I've figured out ways to do all of the maintenance tasks I need on a 4-post, except possibly adjusting the valves. How hard is it to adjust 914 valves on a 4-post lift? Is there enough room to maneuver around the tracks and get to everything? The lifts that I'm looking at have about 37" clearance between the tracks.

My car is in the shop at the moment and torn apart for an engine rebuild, so I can't really crawl under with a tape and see for myself. (My prior DIY leak fix escalated to a complete rebuild that was beyond my abilities.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sithot
post Jan 24 2019, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

I’ve worked under both. The rails do limit other work. Hitting your head is a guaranteed feature of a 4 post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Valve adjustments should be fine. Watch your nogin.
For storage be sure to get drip trays for the center section.
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Jan 24 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,682
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 24 2019, 05:23 AM) *

I’ve worked under both. The rails do limit other work. Hitting your head is a guaranteed feature of a 4 post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Valve adjustments should be fine. Watch your nogin.
For storage be sure to get drip trays for the center section.

Thanks for the note.

What other work is limited? With a jack tray, I figure that I can work on wheels/brakes/suspension. (But, of course, I haven't actually tried it yet...) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

I hear you on the head banging. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Drip trays? What are you talking about? My car never drips! Sheesh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:12 AM