Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment On A Lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Not_A_Six
Hi All-

I'm looking to get a 4-post lift to store my '73 2.0 over another vehicle. I get the trade-offs between 2- and 4-post lifts, and have pretty much decided on a 4-post for a bunch of reasons that I won't bore you with here.

I've figured out ways to do all of the maintenance tasks I need on a 4-post, except possibly adjusting the valves. How hard is it to adjust 914 valves on a 4-post lift? Is there enough room to maneuver around the tracks and get to everything? The lifts that I'm looking at have about 37" clearance between the tracks.

My car is in the shop at the moment and torn apart for an engine rebuild, so I can't really crawl under with a tape and see for myself. (My prior DIY leak fix escalated to a complete rebuild that was beyond my abilities.) blink.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
sithot
I’ve worked under both. The rails do limit other work. Hitting your head is a guaranteed feature of a 4 post. headbang.gif
Valve adjustments should be fine. Watch your nogin.
For storage be sure to get drip trays for the center section.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 24 2019, 05:23 AM) *

I’ve worked under both. The rails do limit other work. Hitting your head is a guaranteed feature of a 4 post. headbang.gif
Valve adjustments should be fine. Watch your nogin.
For storage be sure to get drip trays for the center section.

Thanks for the note.

What other work is limited? With a jack tray, I figure that I can work on wheels/brakes/suspension. (But, of course, I haven't actually tried it yet...) welder.gif

I hear you on the head banging. aktion035.gif

Drip trays? What are you talking about? My car never drips! Sheesh! rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.