Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: 914/6 Airbox setup - SOLD, back to stock-ish option
Retroracer
post Jan 27 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This is a set of Porsche airbox parts that gives you a stock looking set up on a 914/6 (or early 911 for that matter). Look at the pictures to see what you are getting but the list is:

(1) factory plastic airbox (see description below)
(2) factory carb boxes with all clips intact, factory finish in good condition
(1) snorkel with reduced length, facing towards cyl no.1
(1) drain tube (black powder coated), nice condition
(2) very old gaskets for the carb air boxes (should be replaced!)
(2) new wing nuts (plastic) to hold the snorkel on + washers
(1) "shell oil" fill sticker, orientation / placement at the new owners discretion - NEWLY ADDED
(1) re-plated lever that links the fuel cold start assembly to the throttle shaft - NEWLY ADDED

The airbox has a nice patina, but as the pictures show one of the banks has a slightly warped / melted mounting base. In reality this is not too bad, and the carb box seems to mate with it OK (rubber gaskets are in place on the carb boxes). This particular part has holes and supports for cold start tubes - which are not fitted. The resulting holes are easily filled if this is not desired.

The snorkel could probably do with a refurb, with some scrapes on it, but is presentable enough as is.

The carb boxes appear excellent and all clips are in place and work well. Were fitted to Zeniths when I got them.

Note you will need to buy a new air filter which is not included in the kit.

So not a concours solution but it does get you on the road and looks the part. I'm struggling over price - the eBay offerings seem all over the place, and not too Many listed on Pelican. Some of the individual items can be hard to source though.

Priced at $400 shipped in CONUS, will consider offers.

- Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jan 27 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #2

..and more photos:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jan 29 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #3

bump
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jan 31 2019, 02:04 PM
Post #4

one more bump
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 15 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #5

Price drop and bump.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,145

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Feb 15 2019, 07:36 AM) *

Price drop and bump.

To the seller: I've been watching your ad for a while and am casually interested, but combination of price and condition are keeping me on the fence for now. I'm not critiquing your ad. Just being honest.

To the group: Seeking knowledge and perhaps displaying my ignorance for all to see. I'm not sure about the cold start tubes being an MFI-only option. Didn't at least some of the carbureted cars (including 914-6s) come with the same cold start enrichment feature, since Webers (and likely Zeniths too ??) don't have chokes? In fact, I thought that was part of the problem with the plastic air boxes. Excess raw fuel could pool inside the carb boxes, a backfire would ignite, and the plastic would melt/burn. Not a good thing. I *KNOW* that was a problem with the white plastic intake horns on the MFI cars. I've seen more than a few scorched, bubbled, and partly melted ones from several cars. Replaced mine with metal horns and kept the plastics for future nit pickers.

TIA
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 15 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

The cold start system was indeed on all early sixes. There is an extensive thread on the originality forum.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=283855
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 15 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2019, 10:36 AM) *

Price drop and bump.

To the seller: I've been watching your ad for a while and am casually interested, but combination of price and condition are keeping me on the fence for now. I'm not critiquing your ad. Just being honest.

To the group: Seeking knowledge and perhaps displaying my ignorance for all to see. I'm not sure about the cold start tubes being an MFI-only option. Didn't at least some of the carbureted cars (including 914-6s) come with the same cold start enrichment feature, since Webers (and likely Zeniths too ??) don't have chokes? In fact, I thought that was part of the problem with the plastic air boxes. Excess raw fuel could pool inside the carb boxes, a backfire would ignite, and the plastic would melt/burn. Not a good thing. I *KNOW* that was a problem with the white plastic intake horns on the MFI cars. I've seen more than a few scorched, bubbled, and partly melted ones from several cars. Replaced mine with metal horns and kept the plastics for future nit pickers.

TIA

I ASSUMED the cold start tubes were MFI, was not aware the carb versions had this option. Good to know. I will correct the listing to reflect that.

- Tony
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2019, 03:46 PM
Post #9

@gereed75 : Thanks for confirming. From the referenced originality forum topic thread:

>> Could not find it in PET or the shop manual. From what I can learn, the 911 one was connected to a T and a solenoid that was in the tunnel. What about the six?? <<

The cold start circuit on my 1971 911-E was very original. It ran from a solenoid valve attached to the bottom of the fuel filter canister on the left side of the engine compartment to the back of the closer side of the air box via braided neoprene line, with a connecting line to the other side. I believe the solenoid was activated when the starter was engaged. I presume the carbureted sixes (including 914s) would be similarly configured? If so, then to the original thread point, the circuit could be easily disabled by disconnecting the electrical lead to the solenoid, while leaving everything else in place for appearance.

The tubes were welded in place on the metal air boxes. The plastic air horns were used on both carbureted and MFI cars. Ironically, I kept the cold start feature while ditching the plastic air horns due to known concerns. Never had a problem, although I paid attention and kept a fire extinguisher in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

IIRC: Plastic air boxes on the 911 were sometime post-1971 and 914-6's used a slightly shorter plastic air box due to concerns about clearance with the fresh air grill. If that's true, then I believe the height of the seller's air box will be slightly less, measured from the carb bases, if it's from a 914-6 instead of a 911. And, consequently rarer.

Those who know more/differently please chime in to correct if I'm mistaken.

- MR
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 15 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Feb 16 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Price drop and bump.

TIA

I ASSUMED the cold start tubes were MFI, was not aware the carb versions had this option. Good to know. I will correct the listing to reflect that.

- Tony

I think this is a good buy because its a complete system,the backfire burnout won't effect performance as long as the sealing face are still flat on that effected side.
My 71 T motor aircleaner had all the set up for cold start tubes but mostly blanked off but there.
Backfires are caused by blocked enrichment noozles ,bad accelerator pumps, carbs being totally out of tune or a worn out engine with poor vacuum.
I find it hard to believe the pooling of fuel in the aircleaner as mountainroads suggests however he isn't interested in purchase and is in fact a 'nit picker'.
GLWTS retroracer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 16 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 15 2019, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Feb 16 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Price drop and bump.

TIA

- Tony

I think this is a good buy because its a complete system,the backfire burnout won't effect performance as long as the sealing face are still flat on that effected side.
My 71 T motor aircleaner had all the set up for cold start tubes but mostly blanked off but there.
Backfires are caused by blocked enrichment noozles ,bad accelerator pumps, carbs being totally out of tune or a worn out engine with poor vacuum.
I find it hard to believe the pooling of fuel in the aircleaner as mountainroads suggests however he isn't interested in purchase and is in fact a 'nit picker'.
GLWTS retroracer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

Actually, I'm only interested in corroborating or debunking my beliefs and perhaps helping retroracer market his air box. Especially if my understanding is correct that the -6 air boxes are slightly different. If true, and he has one, they are consequently rarer and he might want to know that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

- MR
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 18 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #12

Happy Presidents Day! And bump.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 18 2019, 02:03 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

The only difference I know between the 911 and six plastic air boxes are the vent fitting on the back. Not an expert but there are a variety of fitting configurations and materials. I beleive the correct vent fitting for the six is a metal one with yellow zinc ( or maybe cad) plating.

I do beleive that the correct snorkel on the other hand is unique to the six And whether this is a correct six snorkel or not is unknown and irrelevant since the end has been chopped

So either it works for you or not. Value is in eye of beholder. GLWTS
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Mar 14 2019, 04:57 PM
Post #14

sweetening the deal: lower price - and as added incentive to get this out of my garage - two more items added to the package:

1) "shell oil" fill sticker, orientation / placement at the new owners discretion
2) re-plated lever that links the fuel cold start assembly to the throttle shaft

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tailwind22
post Mar 14 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,583

PM sent.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Mar 15 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #16

Still available.

- Tony
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Mar 17 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #17

..and bump once more.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 18 2019, 05:12 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is a good deal. The bases are worth that.. I have this basic setup though all steel to muffle the noise in the cabin..

Glws
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Mar 19 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #19

For reference: sketch of roughly how the carb boxes might map to PMO carbs tops (factory holes in orange), not dimensioned:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Mar 21 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #20

bump - still available

- Tony
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:24 AM