Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sub Woofer Installation, Tried to get better Audio without carving up the car
Mikey914
post Jun 1 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #101

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Ours will have a larger cavity behind it and will be side vented. This should yeild better quality sound.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 1 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 1 2020, 11:15 AM) *

Ours will have a larger cavity behind it and will be side vented. This should yeild better quality sound.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you can do it with a stock appearance and minimal or no loss in legroom, you've got a customer lined up right here. Amp is ready with a fifth channel, and I'm holding off on buying a subwoofer until I see your setup.

Thank you for doing this!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 1 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #103

The rubber man

That's exactly what we are shooting for. Just been a bit busy with the fiberglass today.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Jun 1 2020, 01:01 PM
Post #104

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Just a few notes from an audio geek -

Vented enclosures are a tuned system, meaning the port size is very much dependent on the driver's specifications and internal volume of the enclosure. The advantage of a vented enclosure over a sealed box is only power efficiency and SPL. The trade-off is that vented enclosures are typically a lot larger than than sealed boxes, and that the boosted frequencies from the port are usually a pretty narrow frequency range.

If you vent the enclosure but it's not done in accordance to the driver's specifications you'll end up screwing the pooch. You'll get peaks at a higher frequency that the sub isn't able to play - for example it might actually be quieter than a sealed box at normal sub frequencies and then have a big peak of volume at 300 hz which it isn't playing anyway. Since a ported box is open, the sub also requires that all of its suspension comes from it's spider and voice coil, and if it's not tuned correctly you can over drive it more easily than you could with a sealed box which, in a way, keeps the driver under better control.

My advice would be to make the largest sealed box you can throw at this project using a subwoofer that works great in smaller, sealed enclosures, and mate it with a high powered class D amp. The class D amps are so small they easily fit under the dash.

If you must go ported, you need to model it using any number of free software apps to make sure it's all makes sense. Again, I'm not sure if you're planning on offering this with a woofer, which would be the only way a tuned, vented box would work. If you're not offering the box with the sub, then it really has to be a sealed enclosure.

Sorry if this is all stuff you already knew.

Cheers!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 1 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 1 2020, 12:01 PM) *

Vented enclosures are a tuned system, meaning the port size is very much dependent on the driver's specifications and internal volume of the enclosure. The advantage of a vented enclosure over a sealed box is only power efficiency and SPL. The trade-off is that vented enclosures are typically a lot larger than than sealed boxes, and that the boosted frequencies from the port are usually a pretty narrow frequency range.

If you vent the enclosure but it's not done in accordance to the driver's specifications you'll end up screwing the pooch. You'll get peaks at a higher frequency that the sub isn't able to play - for example it might actually be quieter than a sealed box at normal sub frequencies and then have a big peak of volume at 300 hz which it isn't playing anyway. Since a ported box is open, the sub also requires that all of its suspension comes from it's spider and voice coil, and if it's not tuned correctly you can over drive it more easily than you could with a sealed box which, in a way, keeps the driver under better control.

My advice would be to make the largest sealed box you can throw at this project using a subwoofer that works great in smaller, sealed enclosures, and mate it with a high powered class D amp. The class D amps are so small they easily fit under the dash.

If you must go ported, you need to model it using any number of free software apps to make sure it's all makes sense. Again, I'm not sure if you're planning on offering this with a woofer, which would be the only way a tuned, vented box would work. If you're not offering the box with the sub, then it really has to be a sealed enclosure.

Cheers!

Very interesting, and appreciated. Wonder if the solution isn't to have a port with a screw-on lid? Then the owner can experiment?

Running a 5-channel amp by JL, with a Class D mono for a sub (I think...need to go look at the box, as it's been sitting a long while—as better audio in my 914 has been pretty low down the list!).
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 1 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #106

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 1 2020, 12:01 PM) *

Cheers!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) My preference is for a sealed box. If it is vented, I'll just wind up sealing it myself. I'm looking for the tight punch of a sealed box rather than big boom of ported anyway. Louder is not necessarily better.

FWIW, you can see my sub installed on a foot board a couple pages back. Sounds like shit compared to mounted in a box. Even just running this sub in the cardboard box it shipped in sounds way better than free air on the board. Sure, even on the board it sounds way better than not having a sub at all, but it really needs a proper enclosure to get the best sound. For keeping foot space, I'm planning to bottom mount my sub under the face and install an expanded metal grate over it to protect the cone from feet.

Also, my Class D amp fits nicely inside the center console for a completely stealth install.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 1 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #107

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Not enough airspace to be vented.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 2 2020, 02:19 AM
Post #108

The rubber man

Easier to sell un-vented.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 16 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #109

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) Just checking on the status of the sub boxes @Mikey914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 16 2020, 05:56 PM
Post #110

The rubber man

Tooling underway 3 weeks give or take for parts.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 16 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #111

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 16 2020, 05:56 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Thanks! Can't wait to give them a shake down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 17 2020, 10:49 AM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 16 2020, 04:56 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
My stereo is actually pretty neat but its missing a sub, this would round out the sound really well...can't wait!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 17 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #113

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

A little late to the party, but here's mine. 6" between the seats. I have bumped my elbow a total of two times. Otherwise I don't notice it's there (aside from the THUMP THUMP). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-419-1399310499.jpg)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 17 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #114

914 Guru

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 17 2020, 03:57 PM) *

A little late to the party, but here's mine. 6" between the seats. I have bumped my elbow a total of two times. Otherwise I don't notice it's there (aside from the THUMP THUMP). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-419-1399310499.jpg)

Is that a JL Audio 8" sub? That was the first one I bought for my car and the sound was amazing! Unfortunately, it didn't quite fit in the footwell recess for a full stealth installation but man do I miss that sound. I kind of wish I had never heard it now. So tight and punchy.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 17 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #115

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I remember experiencing Troy's foot thumper. It took up no more space than the OG footwell foam piece. And it worked! The carpet over it, so stealthy. The right grill and you don't have to worry about foot damage like Rob's. Footwell has so much better bass potential.The thump is always better coming from the feet.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 19 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #116

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 16 2020, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 16 2020, 05:56 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Thanks! Can't wait to give them a shake down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

@Mikey914 Any updates on these?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 19 2020, 10:50 PM
Post #117

The rubber man

Still working on the tooling to mass produce these. Should be January
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 19 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #118

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 19 2020, 09:50 PM) *

Thanks for the update (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Dec 21 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #119

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 19 2020, 08:50 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/party.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Dec 21 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jan 29 2019, 03:29 PM) *

I made this one, with a dedicated power amp for the sub and four other speakers it's probably over kill for a concert hall the size of a 914 cockpit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Very nice. What amps did you use? I think you need to vacuum your car. 8^)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:07 AM