Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sub Woofer Installation, Tried to get better Audio without carving up the car
tomeric914
post Jan 19 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #41

One Lap of America in a 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

These are all great suggestions to the OP, but he did this with his son as a project. That system will sound amazing for years to come. You can't buy that kind of quality anywhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 19 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #42

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 19 2020, 09:26 AM) *

I'm away from my 914 for extended periods so I do a lot of research/reading in the meantime - wondering if something like this would fit under our seats?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019Z3RFG...sk_ql_qh_dp_hza

Dimensions: 12.4 x 11 x 2.7

L & W yes but the seat is only 1" or so above the floorpan. I did put an amp under the pass seat years ago by adding spacers to the rear mount and a bit of indenting the floor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 19 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

Dang- that's what I thought
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jan 19 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 18 2020, 06:25 PM) *

Maybe a stupid question, but: Could the doors be used more effectively when it comes to bass? I'm wondering if a 6.5 in the door with a small port tube venting back into the interior (by the back of the door, near the seat?) would work better than simply placing the speaker in the usual spot?

I am also wondering if one might figure out a way to mount said 6.5 behind the door panel and then make holes between the bricks in the door card's basketweave in a (perhaps compromised) version of the speaker holes seen in early 928s.

Just thinking out loud here; not sure what the ramifications would be in audio terms. If we have any audio experts, I'd love to hear from them.

You could do a 3 way separate system. One Idea I had for my car with already cut door panels. Buy a 3 way kit. Use the tweet and mid under the stock grill and the woofer in the door.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 23 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #45

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 19 2020, 02:15 PM) *

Dang- that's what I thought

Peaked my interest enough to get crafty. The Rockwell ss8p is a better fit.
Between the seat rail.
Custom center console.
Under the dash with and without the glove box.

(IMG:https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49427369978_796712198c_c.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1579759585.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1579759585.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1579759585.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1579759586.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 23 2020, 12:39 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

It's seriously tricky.

Everything I've tried in the footwell either crimps toe space or foot space. I'd love a really well designed, sealed fiberglass bass box built to replace the factory foam...but not sure it would work? Or would it? Suspect the bass speaker would have to be pretty small, and maybe the enclosure would have to be modeled on some of the bass-creating "boxes" from major brands. I had one of those that was actually shaped as a wedge that went into that space pretty well, but it was old, tired, and probably moisture-damaged.

Which has moved me back to seeing what's possible to do with the doors...whether they would benefit from a rigidly mounted 6.5 and maybe even with a port someplace else on the door. Not sure the door is sealed "enough" to make that port worth it.

I sometimes look at this stuff, at 12x13x2.7 inches (or thereabouts), but it's usually powered... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z3R582/ref=ps...1_t2_B01FV0IAQO
+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 24 2020, 01:16 AM
Post #47

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

check this thread out.

my sub box that is now sold by 914rubbers is in post 15 and 16/

it's a good tight bass with good volume.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=subwoofer
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 24 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #48

@messix - I think that's the way to go but I can't find it on 914Rubber's site. @Mikey914 ?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 24 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #49

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

the best place is to put a sub woofer is where the foam floor board block exists on the passenger side. Totally hidden, takes up no space, sounds GREAT and does not chop up the car. Here is a picture if anyone wants to make one: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Spe...N-BAA31934.html

It is very easy to make, basically the pattern of the block with a leg to support it. We have made hundreds over the years and the sound is great, and TOTALLY hidden

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 24 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #50

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I can vouch for Troy's setup. It kicks.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 24 2020, 11:45 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2020, 08:12 AM) *

the best place is to put a sub woofer is where the foam floor board block exists on the passenger side. Totally hidden, takes up no space, sounds GREAT and does not chop up the car. Here is a picture if anyone wants to make one: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Spe...N-BAA31934.html

It is very easy to make, basically the pattern of the block with a leg to support it. We have made hundreds over the years and the sound is great, and TOTALLY hidden

This isn't an ideal solution. A subwoofer will perform far better in a sealed and ported enclosure. But it might be better than nothing.…

QUOTE(messix @ Jan 23 2020, 11:16 PM) *

check this thread out.

^ THIS is the way to go, or at least the way I'd like to go. The first one shows how the box should be done, while the second and third are more appealing to those of us who want a truly stealth setup. How to the ones where you can't see the subwoofer sound?

And you say they're available from 914Rubber? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
drem914
post Jan 24 2020, 11:58 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 9,062

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2020, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2020, 08:12 AM) *

This isn't an ideal solution. A subwoofer will perform far better in a sealed and ported enclosure. But it might be better than nothing.…

QUOTE(messix @ Jan 23 2020, 11:16 PM) *

check this thread out.

^ THIS is the way to go, or at least the way I'd like to go. The first one shows how the box should be done, while the second and third are more appealing to those of us who want a truly stealth setup. How to the ones where you can't see the subwoofer sound?

And you say they're available from 914Rubber? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

what do you do to protect the sealed box speaker (lower left) from feet?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 24 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #53

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

@horrizontally-opposed Pete, I have picked a JL Audio sub to try in that area. My plan is to take lay some foil wrap into the area, and then work my way out with fiberglass, build a sealed enclosure, and it will be protected with one of the perforated Aluminum plate foot boards. I will be painting or anodizing it black, and adding traction tape over it, leaving the holes exposed. Most likely add a sound Matt of the back side to reduce the opportunity for the AL plate to vibrate. That would annoy the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of me.

The JL sub I picked at @BBRock suggestion requires ~0.35 cu.ft. for a sealed box. Ported would be a bit larger. I will most likely do a sealed, as ports tend to enhance certain frequencies, and since I don't just play one key of music, I do not need to tune the system.

Tuned ports would be handy for Gregorian chant.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 24 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #54

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 24 2020, 07:34 AM) *

@messix - I think that's the way to go but I can't find it on 914Rubber's site. @Mikey914 ?

We are actually retooling on these right now. I'd be happy to post up a GB but these are 4-5 weeks from being ready. I could do the
Shell only at $66 if I could get 10 takers. I may even be able to get it lower but depends on how many are interested.

I'll post up a GB shortly.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jan 24 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #55

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 02:22 PM) *

We are actually retooling on these right now. I'd be happy to post up a GB but these are 4-5 weeks from being ready. I could do the
Shell only at $66 if I could get 10 takers. I may even be able to get it lower but depends on how many are interested.

Any old style center consoles with a sub? If so, can I get one in cinnamon carpeting? Also, has to have room for my gauges. Asking a lot, I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 24 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 11:22 AM) *

Nice!!

Count me in—particularly if 1) factory looks are retained, 2) there is no or very little cost in passenger legroom (as there was with my last homemade setup), and 3) the shell comes set up to take an 8-inch speaker that can be carpeted over to be invisible.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 24 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 24 2020, 10:24 AM) *

@horrizontally-opposed Pete, I have picked a JL Audio sub to try in that area. My plan is to take lay some foil wrap into the area, and then work my way out with fiberglass, build a sealed enclosure, and it will be protected with one of the perforated Aluminum plate foot boards. I will be painting or anodizing it black, and adding traction tape over it, leaving the holes exposed. Most likely add a sound Matt of the back side to reduce the opportunity for the AL plate to vibrate. That would annoy the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of me.

The JL sub I picked at @BBRock suggestion requires ~0.35 cu.ft. for a sealed box. Ported would be a bit larger. I will most likely do a sealed, as ports tend to enhance certain frequencies, and since I don't just play one key of music, I do not need to tune the system.

Tuned ports would be handy for Gregorian chant.

Sounds like a slick setup. I am planning to use a JL 5-channel amp to power a JL 3-speaker component system for the stock speaker pods and doors, with the possibility of rear "fill" tweeters in the targa bar and the fifth channel for a sub. Was "arming" my old Pioneer amp via a factory 914 defroster switch on the dash (found an old one at EASY), which lit up when you pulled it out to tell you the audio system was on, and then using AUX in to plumb by iPhone in with RCA cables. Worked really nicely, but may go to Bluetooth for the next iteration of this setup. Just need a place to put that sub. Have looked at some of the slim-line subs out there, but so many of them are powered. Would love to see what you come up with.

And good point on the port tube. I may reference the size of the port tube in an old JBL bass tube I think I still have, and just go with that. Any bass setup is gonna improve on no bass setup, and I suspect JBL did some homework on the size of that tube vs the 8-inch subwoofer.

My goal is to have "invisible" audio that actually sounds good, with the only clue that there's a system being 6.5s as the front of the doors. With 914Rubber's ABS plastic door card blanks, I've started to wonder if the 6.5s could be mounted behind the door cards with "perforated" basketweave vinyl over them...much like the early 928 speakers (see below). On black, you might not even notice the holes in the basketweave. Thoughts? Good idea? Terrible idea? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 24 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #58

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 24 2020, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 02:22 PM) *

Any old style center consoles with a sub? If so, can I get one in cinnamon carpeting? Also, has to have room for my gauges. Asking a lot, I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not in stock, but if I have the correct material I'd be happy to make something up.

The proble. Is the early is more of a catch tray, without much behind it.

If your interested PM me your address so I can send a sample assuring the material is correct.
Thx
Mark
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 24 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #59

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Posted on my 6 build.

From Eric @PMB:

Testing fitment. Your custom German square weave would cover all of this. Mounting plate would be made to limit intrusion on the body. So far is shy of where the factory foam pieces would go so... all good.

This is the sub that we are using with a Bluetooth control so I can use my phone for a sound library. Fit should look just like a 72 interior as far as the footrest goes. This should sound good

Bob B

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7620&st=200

Hi Johnny,

Dale my interior man is building a new 1970 style center console and PMB decided that this was the best set up.

Bob BAttached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 24 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #60

What Pete said.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:54 PM