Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project lightweight 914!, PO-MANS ELISE!
URY914
post Jun 23 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #41

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

You also have to take into account the weight of the related hardware when deleting hoods. As it was stated above, when you go to a f/g front hood you can't use the stock springs. So add that weight into your savings. You can use the stock hinges, but why not use aluminum hood pins and save the weight of the hinges. And if you use pins you can pull the latch and cable pull out.

On the engine lid, remove all those damn torsion springs and latch and save some more.

It comes down to how much work you want to do to saves the weigh. And how practical it is for you to drive. You could save 10 pounds with a lightened flywheel but driving it on the street would be a PITA.

I could take another 50 pounds out of my car. But making a f/g fan housing and engine sheet metal is a hell of a lot of work for three pounds of savings. I could make molds of the body and make c/f body panels and save 30 pounds. If my tires would ever wear out, changing to slicks will save me 5 pounds a tire. I have a 10 gallon cell which I never fill up with 10 gallons. I could get a 5 gallon cell and save 4 pounds. I could get aluminum body shocks and save 20 pounds. Etc, etc, etc.

It's all about money x effort/time = lightweight

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:36 AM