Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Foglight Project
914-300Hemi
post Nov 9 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Spoke,
I would like to to try a set. If they are still available
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Nov 9 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 15 2019, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 15 2019, 09:22 PM) *

Why not mount the power supply remote in an IP65/67 enclosure mounted behind the 914 grille? It would free up some space and maybe reduce temps inside the light assembly.

This is what I did for the 356 running lights although the boost converter PCB was mounted inside the housing. I proposed a separate box to put the converter in but the owner didn't want an external box so I mounted on the back of the heatsink.

I'd like to keep it to one PCB for simplicity although a separate module may be needed depending on temperature rise.

Spoke - First off, well done on tackling this design! Not noticed this thread until today.

Great that you went for a "single box" solution; the fog lights are typically subject to some airflow and not near any heat sources - which is good. Kind of wondering if there's any way to extend the LED heatsinking out to the rear metal enclosure? Again, this is usually not exposed to a casual finger burn and the mount lug to chassis would be a great "thermal sink".

Obviously some serious three dimensional issues to solve there, getting the right stack up and profile to contact well to the outer shell. And the added expense over an "off the shelf" heat sink. But 10ish watts dissipated inside a small enclosure with only convection cooling to the casing might mean the electronics be running hot....?

Again, love seeing this kind of project being tackled, with modern electronics being integrated tastefully into existing components!

- Tony
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 11 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #143

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

Guys, I have you down for the three V2 boards I'm assembling right now. I'll get with you about payment and shipping and all. These boards are black in color.

Unfortunately, I fucked up the design of the boards by making them too small. The amazing thing is I had these V2 boards designed about 100mil larger and I out-thought myself and at the last minute made them the same size as the V1 boards.

Mark and I are the only ones with the V1 boards with discrete dc-dc converter. His boards are shown below. In the first picture the black surrounding the board is the plastic part I printed to hold the board in sync with the glass lens and gasket.

The problem comes in when looking at the 2nd picture with the board mounted in the light bezel. The clips barely touch the board. This is not good or sustainable. The board needs to be about 150mil larger.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 11 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #144

Jerry

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

One other thing with these V2 boards, you'll have to send the glass lens and bezel to me so I can fit these boards myself. I had so much of bitch of time getting Mark's boards to fit that I cannot have you go through this. This will also help me understand how to ease the mounting of these boards in the lens/bezel.

What I will do is replace the gaskets with new 914rubber gaskets and mount the boards. It will ease your installation greatly. If you want as well I can paint (gloss black) the bezel for you if you want.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 11 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #145

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Jerry - Does it matter if the lights are early or late?

And I'm in no rush for the second set so if you have someone next in line, feel free to move me down the list. I'll get them but the second set will be on my shelf for a while.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 11 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #146

Jerry

@Tbrown4x4

I am in the process of redesigning the boards (V3) to be 150mil larger. The plan is to offer 5 members a set of foglights again for $100/set. These will be a couple of weeks out as I haven't finished the design yet. The boards will be black color.

Todd I have you down for one of the board sets. You mentioned about using the fogs for 100 mile commutes with 914rubber yellow lens. These should work well with them. Here's a 911 with my foglights with yellow lens.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 11 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #147

Jerry

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2019, 10:16 PM) *

Jerry - Does it matter if the lights are early or late?

And I'm in no rush for the second set so if you have someone next in line, feel free to move me down the list. I'll get them but the second set will be on my shelf for a while.

Not a problem with later years. The lens is flatter than early years thus a larger spacer is needed however the later bezel is flatter thus allowing the spacer to take up space with the original clips to be used.

And no, you are getting a second set. I still haven't gotten a ride in your 914/6... Shit's piling up on your side. Karma's a bitch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have 3 late fogs from you although 2 of the glass lenses are pretty beat up. One is fully cracked in half. One is in good shape. If you want to send a better set, that's your decision.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 11 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #148

Jerry

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2019, 10:16 PM) *

If you want, @Tbrown4x4 is looking for a set, I target the set to him.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 11 2019, 09:41 PM
Post #149

914-6 GT in waiting

I figured you could use those old ones for testing. I don’t need them back. I do have a better set and we’ll work out the details later. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 11 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 17,338

Those look great. Should make the drive a little safer. Should I PayPal you the $ now or?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 11 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #151

Jerry

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 11 2019, 11:12 PM) *

Those look great. Should make the drive a little safer. Should I PayPal you the $ now or?

Let me get back to you on this. I need to have the LED fogs completely assembled before asking you to send you lens/bezels to me. this will minimize the disruption in your daily commute.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 12 2019, 07:50 AM
Post #152

Member No.: 17,338

Sounds good!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 12 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #153

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 11 2019, 10:06 PM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

One other thing with these V2 boards, you'll have to send the glass lens and bezel to me so I can fit these boards myself. I had so much of bitch of time getting Mark's boards to fit that I cannot have you go through this. This will also help me understand how to ease the mounting of these boards in the lens/bezel.

What I will do is replace the gaskets with new 914rubber gaskets and mount the boards. It will ease your installation greatly. If you want as well I can paint (gloss black) the bezel for you if you want.

I can pull my bumpers and fog lights this will and send you what you need, do I send you the whole fog light assembly ?

Just let me know where to send and what to send- or I can wait for the V3 set coming up, either way- also have to pay you too!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 22 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #154

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 12 2019, 11:00 AM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

I can pull my bumpers and fog lights this will and send you what you need, do I send you the whole fog light assembly ?

Just let me know where to send and what to send- or I can wait for the V3 set coming up, either way- also have to pay you too!!

ready when you are, just PM address etc. have a show on Dec 7 so I would like to ei have you send it to me and let me install it myself if possible.
Phil
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 22 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #155

Jerry

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 22 2019, 11:28 AM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

ready when you are, just PM address etc. have a show on Dec 7 so I would like to ei have you send it to me and let me install it myself if possible.
Phil

I've been waiting on crimp connectors and shrink wrap tubing to finish off the wiring. I need to order some gaskets from 914rubber too. I'll need just the glass lens, reflector and clips from the foglights. I can either leave the bezel rings as is or paint them for you. I should be ready to go this weekend.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 24 2019, 06:54 AM
Post #156

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 22 2019, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 22 2019, 11:28 AM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

Phil

I've been waiting on crimp connectors and shrink wrap tubing to finish off the wiring. I need to order some gaskets from 914rubber too. I'll need just the glass lens, reflector and clips from the foglights. I can either leave the bezel rings as is or paint them for you. I should be ready to go this weekend.

Very good, I will pull those today and box them up , PM me with a shipping address and will drop them by UPS store tomorrow.
Phil
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 24 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #157

Dr. Phil

Jerry,

Pulled my fog light lenses and bezels . I assume you do not need my bulb socket and bulb. I have them packed and ready to go.
Thanks. Please PM me the ship to address.

@Spoke .
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 24 2019, 08:48 PM
Post #158

Jerry

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 24 2019, 08:38 PM) *

Jerry,

Pulled my fog light lenses and bezels . I assume you do not need my bulb socket and bulb. I have them packed and ready to go.
Thanks. Please PM me the ship to address.

@Spoke .

PM sent.

I just need the bezel, glass lens, and reflector. I don't need the bulb or socket.

I finally got all the quick disconnect spades ordered and received. The first batch of boards are now done including @mepstein 's.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 24 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #159

914-6 GT in waiting

Awesome!
Driving at night on my rural roads, there is no such thing as too much light.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 24 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #160

Jerry

Each kit will include 4 quick disconnect spades to be crimped onto the wire that was connected to the bulb socket. The bulb socket is held onto these wires with a small straight screw. Loosen the screw and the bulb socket comes off and leave the wires shown below.

The OEM 12V wiring goes from the cabin to the driver side foglight. Then a separate wire is soldered to the end of the cabin wire (at the driver side foglight) and runs over to the passenger side. Thus the gauge of the 2 soldered wires on the driver side is 2x that of the passenger side.

The yellow sheathed connector is for a heavy gauge wire and goes on the driver side. The blue sheathed connector is for the passenger side. 2 extra connectors will be included just in case there's an issue with the first connectors.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:02 AM