Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie error, Relocation of fuel pump to front
Str1974
post Apr 13 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,820
Region Association: Southwest Region

Well I relocated my fuel pump to the front (something I decided to do when I was replacing the tunnel fuel hoses with stainless steel lines). While I was doing that I decided to replace my master cylinder because it was leaking, then I also cleaned out my fuel tank and replaced all my fuel lines with new hoses that are E85 resistant.

What started out as a weekend project has ballooned into a bigger project under the premise "while I got this part off, why not fix this other thing". Did I mention I also refurbished my pedal assembly with new copper bushings and new springs...

THE PROBLEM:
Again, long story short. Now that I have my fuel pump and tank back in the car, I have the positive wire that I ran from the back to the front, but I can't remember where I should hook up the positive wire for the fuel pump because it's been so long since I had cut it and started work. I know it was connected under the battery tray where the pump was originally located. BUT, as a newbie I can't for the life of me find the lose connection that eventually goes to the fuse block behind the driver's side engine compartment.

Does anyone know the color of the original wire that would have gone to the positive connection of the fuel pump? Or should I run a new wire to the fuel pump relay?

I feel stupid asking this, I should have labeled it or made notes, but I am getting old and suffer from brain "farts" a lot more these days.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 13 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

the lead for the fuel pump is right under the right rear engine shelf, you can see the main wiring harness in front of the battery and where the lead comes off to go through the shelf for the original fuel pump mounting place

QUOTE(Str1974 @ Apr 13 2019, 12:07 PM) *

Well I relocated my fuel pump to the front (something I decided to do when I was replacing the tunnel fuel hoses with stainless steel lines). While I was doing that I decided to replace my master cylinder because it was leaking, then I also cleaned out my fuel tank and replaced all my fuel lines with new hoses that are E85 resistant.

What started out as a weekend project has ballooned into a bigger project under the premise "while I got this part off, why not fix this other thing". Did I mention I also refurbished my pedal assembly with new copper bushings and new springs...

THE PROBLEM:
Again, long story short. Now that I have my fuel pump and tank back in the car, I have the positive wire that I ran from the back to the front, but I can't remember where I should hook up the positive wire for the fuel pump because it's been so long since I had cut it and started work. I know it was connected under the battery tray where the pump was originally located. BUT, as a newbie I can't for the life of me find the lose connection that eventually goes to the fuse block behind the driver's side engine compartment.

Does anyone know the color of the original wire that would have gone to the positive connection of the fuel pump? Or should I run a new wire to the fuel pump relay?

I feel stupid asking this, I should have labeled it or made notes, but I am getting old and suffer from brain "farts" a lot more these days.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Apr 13 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

It should be a black wire with red stripe and should be located as George described.

Jim
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 13 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

The 75-76 cars used a 12gage wire from the relay board to the pump under the fuel tank, same for the ground. I hope you did that.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:06 PM