Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transporting a body, Has anyone put one on it's side??
IanStott
post Jun 24 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,199

Going to be transporting a body," or a tub" as I have heard it called and since it is quite distance I only wanted to haul a trailer one way. The u-haul 4X8 is a reasonable price but obviously to narrow, has antone popped a teener up on its side? I'm considering it if the damage will only be a few scratches, I am in the middle of a complete restoration so very minor bodywork prior to painting is no big deal. All thoughts and or experience much appreciated. Thanks.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jun 24 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) double meanings....

I think the doors mught crunch in (the one on the ground--unless you have the re-inforced late doors) and the rear might do something funcky......but i dunno that putting it on the side will cause it to blow up or anything. Could possibly put dents in it.
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Jun 24 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,199

The doors are off, no suspension, engine,glass,interior,etc. all gone. I'm thinking the weight will be around 700 lbs. or less. I will use foam to help distribute the weight.

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
michel richard
post Jun 24 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 936

You might consider buiding some short legs that would either bolt or weld to the bumper attachement points. That way the actual body could be off the ground and the weigth supported by some hard points.

Michel Richard
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 24 2005, 07:33 AM
Post #5

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

When the 72 broke in half towing it up to the farm I (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif) it the rest of the way and loaded the two halves on to my utility trailer and towed it up that way. The fenders & quarter panels had some scratches.

If you can't suspend it as Michel susgested try leaning it so the body weight rests on the longs that will lessen the chance of damage. Tie it down well so it dosen't jump around while on the trailer.
+Quote Post
meares
post Jun 24 2005, 07:40 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,800

when i transport bodies i fold them in half and use a BIG & THICK trash bag.......you must dump them in the gulf stream....good bait! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:36 PM