Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fabrication and Welding workshop day in Petaluma: MAY 18, Let me know if you're in!
tygaboy
post May 19 2019, 07:07 AM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

@Andyrew - Yep, you did leave a panel here. It was sitting in the mag brake.
I can pop it in the mail, just PM me your address.

Or, if you want to head back over and work on something else, that'd be great, too. Either way, just let me know.

Also, the CAD program I use is open source. It came with (and is recommended by) the plasma table manufacturer. QCAD: https://www.qcad.org/en/
But also note that all I need is a .dxf file so whatever you use to generate that works for me.

On the console, which looks great, btw, remember to plan for clearance for the upholstery, any fasteners, install/removal (if it's going to be removable), etc.
This sort of "oops" has bitten me on a couple things with my build.

Most importantly, thanks for attending! These days just wouldn't be the same without you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 19 2019, 07:09 AM
Post #82

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 18 2019, 08:06 PM) *

Great time as always!!!

Chris and Lori are excellent hosts!!

If I had more time I would have used even more plasma up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That plasma program is nifty! If it's open source I'd love a link so I can download and play with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks again Chris for all the help! You truly are one busy and helpful guy on these workshop days!!

All I could think when I saw this was "When Worlds Collide"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Barely a 914 part to be seen...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 19 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Thank you Chris and Martin! I love this!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 19 2019, 10:08 AM
Post #84

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 19 2019, 08:58 AM) *
I love this!

But the real question is, does your wife love it?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 19 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #85

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2019, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 19 2019, 08:58 AM) *
I love this!

But the real question is, does your wife love it?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) she *appeared* to yesterday. I asked her again today and she said yes!
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 19 2019, 11:39 AM
Post #86

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

My thanks to Chris and Lori for opening up their home and workshop to all of us -- including this complete stranger. Despite the rain it was a great chance to take the "new" 914 for a run and get some feedback on a few issues. An amazing shop and an impressive fund of knowledge was on display. A chance to meet some fellow local enthusiasts, hear about some local resources I didn't know about, and see a nascent project (thanks for towing your car there Mark). An impressive ongoing build Chris and I'm sorry there wasn't more time to talk to you and hear more about it. You certainly were busy helping everybody out, and I was happy to simply observe and learn. It was nice to meet everyone, and learn that our "benevolent overlord", SirAndy, lives just a stone's throw away from me. Surprised I haven't seen you or your car around but I'll keep my eyes open.... Certainly feel free to contact me if you simply need an extra hand with anything or need to borrow a tool I might have. The same goes for the rest of you. As I organize for diving in to the two project cars I'm sure I'll be asking for help and it is great to know there is a large local community. Any of you have old VWs as well? I've got more than a few of those in addition to the three 914's. OK, back to lurking on the sidelines!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 19 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #87

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Nice to meet everyone (again, in most cases). I love the shop, and love much of what is getting done there! The quality of Chris' build is impressive; believe him when he calls himself a perfectionist.

I had a much more interesting drive home than I would have preferred though. I went over to my friends' place in Petaluma (less than 5 minutes from Chris!) and visited and had dinner, then drove home around 9.

During one of the heavier bits of rain, a car passed between me and another car two lanes over, then fishtailed right in front of me and spun into the sound wall on the shoulder of the road. Messed up the car pretty badly, but the driver seemed to be OK. Lots of airbags had deployed, and the suspension and bodywork absorbed most of the energy I guess. I phoned 911 and they dispatched someone and told me to be on my way.

I said more than a couple of four-letter words while that was happening, but kept my head and avoided the mayhem. I'm not sure how coherent I was for the 911 operator, but they seemed to figure out where I was and what I was reporting.

--DD
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 19 2019, 01:39 PM
Post #88

914 Guru

Someone left a box of electrical goodies... Much as I'll likely need this stuff, I'm more than happy to help get it back to its owner.

Anyone know whose this is?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 19 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #89

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I told you I would bring those to you for when you started your electrical as I had extra (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Forgot to mention it to you....
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 19 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #90

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 19 2019, 04:09 PM) *

I told you I would bring those to you for when you started your electrical as I had extra (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Forgot to mention it to you....

SCORE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Thanks much!
+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 22 2019, 10:56 AM
Post #91

A little late in doing this, but here’s the only photo I took all day. More fun in coming out from behind the phone and watching, listening, and learning. Thanks again Chris.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 22 2019, 12:15 PM
Post #92

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 19 2019, 11:07 AM) *

Nice to meet everyone (again, in most cases). I love the shop, and love much of what is getting done there! The quality of Chris' build is impressive; believe him when he calls himself a perfectionist.

I had a much more interesting drive home than I would have preferred though. I went over to my friends' place in Petaluma (less than 5 minutes from Chris!) and visited and had dinner, then drove home around 9.

During one of the heavier bits of rain, a car passed between me and another car two lanes over, then fishtailed right in front of me and spun into the sound wall on the shoulder of the road. Messed up the car pretty badly, but the driver seemed to be OK. Lots of airbags had deployed, and the suspension and bodywork absorbed most of the energy I guess. I phoned 911 and they dispatched someone and told me to be on my way.

I said more than a couple of four-letter words while that was happening, but kept my head and avoided the mayhem. I'm not sure how coherent I was for the 911 operator, but they seemed to figure out where I was and what I was reporting.

--DD

C’mon Dave. You live in LA area & see this kind of stuff all the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 1 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Installed! I may add a flat black backing plate. It can be hard to read in the sunlight depending on shadows. Thanks again Chris!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 1 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #94

Andy, that looks great! Now I want a "beware of dog" sign in 914 font (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 1 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #95

914 Guru

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jun 1 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Andy, that looks great! Now I want a "beware of dog" sign in 914 font (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

@fiacra - Come on back and let's make you one!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 1 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #96

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Very cool address plate for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 2 2019, 07:29 AM
Post #97

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

My brother and I went and visited with Chris yesterday and we geeked out on car stuff and got to see his beautiful property. Good thing my wife was not with us.......I would have been a yard slave for the next several years.

Chris did me a favor and made something for my garage. The mistake I made was showing it to my wife before I mounted it on a garage wall. She immediately claimed it for our patio. I had to admit it looked absolutely perfect where she wants it to go.

Thanks Chris. The next time I come up I hope to be in my Six. Cheers, Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 2 2019, 08:45 AM
Post #98

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 2 2019, 06:29 AM) *

My brother and I went and visited with Chris yesterday and we geeked out on car stuff and got to see his beautiful property. Good thing my wife was not with us.......I would have been a yard slave for the next several years.

Chris did me a favor and made something for my garage. The mistake I made was showing it to my wife before I mounted it on a garage wall. She immediately claimed it for our patio. I had to admit it looked absolutely perfect where she wants it to go.

Thanks Chris. The next time I come up I hope to be in my Six. Cheers, Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Michael, post a pic of what you guys made.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 2 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #99

914 Guru

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 1 2019, 11:33 AM) *

Installed! I may add a flat black backing plate. It can be hard to read in the sunlight depending on shadows. Thanks again Chris!

@Krieger - Andy - Let me know if you need any help making the backing plate. Maybe we could do some sort of embossing or beading on it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 2 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 2 2019, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 1 2019, 11:33 AM) *

@Krieger - Andy - Let me know if you need any help making the backing plate. Maybe we could do some sort of embossing or beading on it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Okay. That's a good idea. I'm thinking about 14 or 16 gauge steel. Then powder coat it black.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:12 AM