Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Power for amp?, Best and easiest place to pull power from?
drem914
post Apr 24 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

I am looking to add an amp for a footwell subwoofer. Where is the easiest and best place to pull power from? I really don't want to run a power lead back to the battery. If I have to do that I probably will scrap the whole idea.
TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Apr 24 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

A separate line from the battery is recommended....
+Quote Post
drem914
post Apr 24 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #3

But I really don't want to drill anything or remove my recently install interior, back pad, seats, etc. You know the drill. Can the fuse panel just not handle the added load? Even for a small amp?
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 24 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #4

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

fuse panel has 1/2 always hot and 1/2 switchable hot with empty terminals, but what's the amp load?
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Apr 24 2019, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Don't forget the "Pi" filter. It attaches in series with the power connection. Without it, you'll have a ton of alternator noise
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 24 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If your amp and sub are low-powered, you can probably get away with using fuse #8. If it's anything more than a tiny little thing, you're going to want to run a new fat wire and a relay or two...

--DD
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 25 2019, 06:28 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I ran a thick wire through the center tunnel back to the battery. I did not have to drill any holes or remove anything except for the carpet piece over the tunnel. I did put heat shrink over the power wire for extra insulation in the tunnel.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
drem914
post Apr 25 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 25 2019, 05:28 AM) *

I ran a thick wire through the center tunnel back to the battery. I did not have to drill any holes or remove anything except for the carpet piece over the tunnel. I did put heat shrink over the power wire for extra insulation in the tunnel.

Thanks Steve.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Apr 25 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 24 2019, 04:10 PM) *

fuse panel has 1/2 always hot and 1/2 switchable hot with empty terminals, but what's the amp load?

Don't know yet because i was holding off until i figured out what i was going to do and to see what is available.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 25 2019, 11:33 AM
Post #10

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't go through the fuse panel. Run a wire to the battery to a relay to the noise filter and to the amp.

Keep in mind that if your amp is big enough its going to draw more then your little alternator can provide - it does not take much.

What size amp are you putting in?

Zach
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 25 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Only way is direct to battery,nothing in the fuse board with handle it,I added an extra Hella 4 fuse board direct to battery,it runs my stereo and anything I need to add latter,mounted it under the dash.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Apr 25 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 25 2019, 10:33 AM) *

Don't go through the fuse panel. Run a wire to the battery to a relay to the noise filter and to the amp.

Keep in mind that if your amp is big enough its going to draw more then your little alternator can provide - it does not take much.

What size amp are you putting in?

Zach

Concesus understood. Fuse panel and alternator were never desinged to run anything more than a radio.
Likely will use something like this small JBL or the Infinty equivalent.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109STAGEA2/JB...02&tp=72998

Thanks for the solid advice.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Apr 25 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #13

Go with the largest power amp you can afford. Old cars aren't quiet - especially with the roof off & a loud exhaust system. Power it directly from the battery with a fuse & noise filter. Put the fuse at the battery & the filter at the amp. Trust me, BTDT. I prefer something along the lines of 100 W rms per channel. Don't waist your time with a little diddly shit power amplifier. If you blow out your loudspeakers, you'll know what to do next.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 25 2019, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

140w RMS@4ohm should be fine for a 8" sub in our tiny car, but it depends if the rating of the speaker is close.
ex: a 280w speaker will be too tight to make much sound with 140w, but a 150w speaker would be in it's sweet spot.

QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 25 2019, 02:25 PM) *

Go with the largest power amp you can afford. Old cars aren't quiet - especially with the roof off & a loud exhaust system. Power it directly from the battery with a fuse & noise filter. Put the fuse at the battery & the filter at the amp. Trust me, BTDT. I prefer something along the lines of 100 W rms per channel. Don't waist your time with a little diddly shit power amplifier. If you blow out your loudspeakers, you'll know what to do next.

+Quote Post
drem914
post Apr 25 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 25 2019, 03:09 PM) *

140w RMS@4ohm should be fine for a 8" sub in our tiny car, but it depends if the rating of the speaker is close.
ex: a 280w speaker will be too tight to make much sound with 140w, but a 150w speaker would be in it's sweet spot.

currently have this 8" Polk DVC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JX8NP...=UTF8&psc=1 ready to go in this enclosure for the front footwell Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Apr 25 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 25 2019, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 25 2019, 02:25 PM) *

This isn't necessarily true. Loudspeaker efficiency & maximum power handling capacity are very different things.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 26 2019, 04:08 PM
Post #17

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(drem914 @ Apr 25 2019, 03:25 PM) *

currently have this 8" Polk DVC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JX8NP...=UTF8&psc=1 ready to go in this enclosure for the front footwell

Check that it actually is DVC, 2 pairs of terminals. If so then you will want an amp that can do 1 channel @ 2 ohms as both coils will need to feed from the same signal.

* Not many amps will state they are 2 ohm stable bridged, but my experience has been it works to a point... as in some amps would overload sooner than expected. But then I was minitrucker in a past life so I was pushing harder than an normal person would want to go anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasVic
post Jun 1 2020, 06:05 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 23,884
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 25 2019, 07:28 AM) *

Would you elaborate on your specific routing?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 1 2020, 06:56 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have a couple pics of routing my amp wire on my build thread here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2801031

I ran my 8 gauge wire right through the rubber snorkel alongside the factory harness. With the engine out of the car, it was a much easier operation to snake the wire than I expected. Took less than an hour total. I just taped a length of the wire along a stiff #9 wire to push it through and grab from the other side.

BTW, I'm also running an 8" sub so installed a 4-channel by 75W@2ohms (50wx4 @ 4 ohms) to power a pair of Infinity Kappa speakers and the sub with 2 channels bridged. The amp I bought is listed as stable bridged at 2 ohms and not all that expensive either.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 1 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(VegasVic @ Jun 1 2020, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 25 2019, 07:28 AM) *

Would you elaborate on your specific routing?

It’s been a while but, I ran the wire through the speedometer grommet and then out the same hole the harness goes through on top of the tunnel. I routed it along side the other wires. I think I followed the harness pass the fuse box and into the front trunk, where, mounted the main amp. I also spliced that same wire for a powered sub woofer in the car.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:53 PM