Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Understanding Scheel seats for Porsche 914, 914-6, There are a lot of threads, not a lot of answers…
horizontally-opposed
post May 24 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 24 2019, 01:02 PM) *

My Scheels are done with the "grainy" early 914 style vinyl bolsters.

I don't think I would do leather, but to each his own.

I was thinking of doing an extra "bump" on the seat frames to make these look more like the authentic GT seats. Maybe not worth the trouble.

Also, I've always wanted to remove my headrests but to no avail. They are in there quite firmly and will finally be extricated when the seats are stripped for re-upholstery.

Extra bump could be cool visually, though I wonder if it would impact comfort? Have to say Scheels are lovely, with one of these two offering perfect comfort + support—up there with the very best from Porsche, which to me remains the late 1980s/early 1990s sport seat as used in the 911, 959S, and 964 RSA and particularly when faced in cloth. I think 944/928/968 used a similar seatback, but I never loved the seating position in some of those cars. Still some of the best seats Porsche ever equipped, and seem to fit a variety of body types really well.

Your trouble with your headrests has kept me from installing mine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Sounds like you aren't alone, so they'll go on after the seats go in, I guess. Wonder if a little anti-seize (or?) would be a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 25 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'll find out after WCR when I take them for a re-do.

It's an issue that has vexed me for a while.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 25 2019, 02:53 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Scheels in, swapped the rails to put the more comfortable seat on the driver's side, then spent some time with the rails to align everything after removing a floor mount assembly to dial everything in per recommendations here (thank you!).

Fit nice, and they're VERY comfortable, too. Nit picks: They fit the back pad okaaaay, but not perfectly. Bit squeaky, vinyl to vinyl, but I had that issue with GTS seats also. Trying to remember if the factory seats did it. Also, it seems like there's a bit less legroom...am I alone on that? As for the materials, between the wear and some other ideas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif), I can see I'll be redoing these at some point. Seems to be a common thread with Scheels...

Can't wait to go for a drive in these.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 25 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Many moons ago, someone asked for photos of how my driver's seat was lowered. Getting the last pair of seats out wasn't fun, as I didn't take the time to get the rails aligned as well as they could be, but I took the opportunity to grab some photos of the setup today.

You can see that the cross bar under the front of the seat was cut out and "stepped down" with thicker metal. This was done at Genoa Racing in Novato, CA at the same time that the Engman chassis stiffening kit was added. I lost the ability to change the seat angle (which doesn't bother me, as it's pretty limited in the 914, and not bad as is), but dropped about 0.8 inch. Well worth it, imo...

First pic is the stock seat mount, with angle adjuster. The rest are the modded setup, which was made from a stock setup plus a bit of fab work.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 08:14 PM