Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

56 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?, or, What the Fuch is Keeping You From Working on it?
Chi-town
post Oct 18 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #341

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Oct 15 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Want to order parts for front sway bars and get them put back together, but not sure who’s it is. Weltmeister?? Thoughts?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) IMG_0220.JPG

I have the same unit, it's not Weltmeister. As close as I could find was a long ago discounted H&R unit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 19 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #342

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Oct 18 2019, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Oct 15 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Want to order parts for front sway bars and get them put back together, but not sure who’s it is. Weltmeister?? Thoughts?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) IMG_0220.JPG

I have the same unit, it's not Weltmeister. As close as I could find was a long ago discounted H&R unit.

I also think your sway bar may be an H&H. I have H&H front and rear bars, and the front photo you provided looks similar. The H&H bars are no longer available, don't know if you can still get spare parts. I purchased all new bushings from them in the mid-90's. Last address I have from the original installation instructions is:

H&H Specialties
20 Reid Road
Chelmsford, Mass 01824
508-256-9465

https://www.google.com/search?q=H%26H+speci...f=1571517997178

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-sway-bars.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...waybar-h-h.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...bar-squeek.html
+Quote Post
Dion
post Oct 20 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #343

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Did some minor mods to my Jeep Gladiator and my sons 944 needed
a state inspection as well as the OPRV gaskets needed replacing.
My “normal” cars mechanic did the inspection and allowed me the use of his lift
to do some work as my 914 occupies the home lift.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 21 2019, 06:01 AM
Post #344

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

well, this time it was because I was taking care of a leak on my wife's car('04 Jag) and oil change, and pulled right front tire to get at and replace the broken washer fluid tank.

got that done, tried to figure out where the very slow oil leak is coming from, I suspect its the front engine cover gasket, which will be quite a job if I do it myself..... but for now I think its not bad enough to do yet, . ... and I looked at the 914, contemplated trying to find some O-rings that will work for the MC....

after that is giving my wife a break from taking care of a sick kid with a fever.... all good reasons to let the 914 sit for now,
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 31 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #345

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Moved my wife's Beetle from under my lift, to a neighbor's carport, and moved the Westy off the lift and out to the front driveway, so I could put the Ghia on the lift for some overdue underside maintenance.

First, cleaned off what appeared to be decades of crusty old dried-up grease from the transaxle (should have taken some pix, it was ugly) - then drained and refilled it with new juice.

Attached Image

Also cleaned up some dried greasy crud from the front suspension components. Painted the entire underside of the floor pan and suspension components with black Rust Reformer paint.

Attached Image

Also drained and refilled the engine crankcase with Castrol 20/50 Racing Oil ... so now it will go faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Still need to check all the steering parts, the steering wheel has a little play I'd like to eliminate. I have all the new parts including a new dampener shock - those should tighten it up some.

Then off to the chiropractor to see if he could do anything to help fix my pinched sciatic nerve.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 9 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #346

Well, the fluid change in the Ghia's old transaxle didn't help reduce the growl very much, so I decided to look for a rebuilt transaxle.

Found one on the Samba for $500., so we drove up to Pomona to pick it up this afternoon.

Attached Image

I'll have to schedule a tech day in early 2020 and see iffin any locals want stop by to lend a hand dropping the drive train outta the Ghia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'll probably have it out for little while ... I'd like to blast and paint some of the motor's sheet metal, then I can schedule another tech day to reinstall it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

After I return from dropping my trailer off in AZ, I'll have access to the cars in the driveway in CA, focus a little more attention on HOWARD - and hopefully get him off to the paint shop.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 10 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #347

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Got pissed off working on the house yesterday,got a shitload done on my VW T4 2.5 TDI van,tricked up my ECU,extended the crazy short gear lever (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) and custom built short shift,all 100% result,real happy with way more torque from engine.
Have fitted Oettinger 16'' wheels and lowered to people mover specs with H&R springs,Bilsteins all round,no more school bus handling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Attached Image
Next day was time for some 914 love,pulled it out of storage primed the carbs and it started straight off,quickly decided it was time for a blast down the road,bought it home and topped up fuel (which it loves ) and wasn't disappointed it just got off its ass and flew for a baby six I'am pretty happy.
Second run ...why not?,got 5kms away and ran out of fuel,bit of a walk home and back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
Plenty to do on the car but a fun day and got some exercise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ,besides just starting it isn't enough,I need to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) more often.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 11 2019, 04:01 AM
Post #348

Member No.: 17,338

My son’s Toyota truck had a cracked head (just bought it, CHEAP!). So I’m doing most of the work for him so he can pull in some overtime at his job.

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 11 2019, 07:15 AM
Post #349

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Dion @ Oct 20 2019, 10:09 PM) *

Did some minor mods to my Jeep Gladiator and my sons 944 needed
a state inspection as well as the OPRV gaskets needed replacing.
My “normal” cars mechanic did the inspection and allowed me the use of his lift
to do some work as my 914 occupies the home lift.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Always curious why so many state residents tolerate state inspections.

https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/317...-really-safety/

+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 13 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #350

Gotta love it. I called IPC (local VW parts house down the street from EMW) to get pricing and availability on new rubber mounts for the Ghia's 'new' transaxle.

They have a few pricing options, so I asked about the difference in quality vs the prices. Rather than steering me to the higher priced ones, the guy told me they've had better reviews from customers who purchased the less expensive ones.

The total difference is only $14. but it's like a breath of fresh air when retailers level with their customers and don't try to up-sell them to a more expensive product.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 15 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #351

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Because I bought this and sold my ML.

Attached Image

As my wife's family would say it is from the wrong side of Germany, they are a bit loyal to Stuttgart cars. But I now have two of them in my garage, go figure.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Nov 15 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #352

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

Heater core acting up on my daily driver Jetta so I bought this...

Attached Image

Been wanting a small truck for a while as an occasional parts hauler. Not really a "truck guy" but this Ranger Splash pushes all the right buttons - I like the blue color; flareside instead of slabside; 2WD; and it has working heat!

The 4.0L V6 runs good and, though it has its share of minor issues, this truck will be a fun project.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 15 2019, 10:52 PM
Post #353

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

I work on the 914 for a week or so-on the road with the family going to MN for a funeral unfortunately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . My brother-in-law passed away yesterday so we head back up the frozen tundra. And I can’t even get to a football game due to timing - I think MN is away at iowa(passing thru Iowa’s city tomorrow but no time to stop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) . Go Gophers!!
And I can say it’s dang cold in St Louis right now! I do have some projects to do when I get back. , I have some goodies on the way from BD Stone, and I did order the new Hella horns as well.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 16 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #354

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Two words:

Kidney Stones
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 16 2019, 12:17 PM
Post #355

Sorry for your loss, Doc.

I feel your pain, Clay.

Our tenant and I picked up some 3/8" bungee rope and a HF silver tarp, and installed it above the rear driveway a couple days ago. Should keep the rain off of his cycles.

Attached Image

Still prepping for my AZ trip. Yesterday, I moved the wife's Subi & the Westy ('Eileen') to get the trailer out of the driveway. Then I got a bone-headed idea - decided to run the Ghia through the $4. automated car wash across town. Afterwards, I started heading home, made a turn into a driveway about a mile away and it just died.

Checked the engine compartment to see iffin anything got wet, but everything looked OK. Also checked all the fuses - all were OK too. Unfortunately, I didn't have any tools or diagnostic equipment to do any additional diagnosing, so I called AAA for a tow home. Safe & sound under the lift again ... I'll have to deal with it when I get back in December.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sb914
post Nov 22 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #356

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Attached Image To far from home !
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 25 2019, 12:24 AM
Post #357

I stopped in Buckeye AZ to drop off my old my '83 XT200 that my friend, Fred, wanted to buy. He's really happy to have something larger than a CT90 now and can ride with the big boys on our desert camping trips.

Attached Image

Got some heavy rain and hail the other day

Attached Image

... but it cleared up the following day

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 25 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #358

Fred & family asked me to stay through Thanksgiving w/e, so I'm doing some stuff around the house to earn my keep. We removed the bent bumper and worked on the dented fender from a '67 Ford Fairlane he recently purchased. I purchased a HF bottle jack to get the initial dents out, then we removed the fender so I could bang on it some more.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Still have a bit of hammering to do, and Fred is going to order a patch panel for the rotted area behind the wheel arch, but it already looks much better.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 18 2019, 03:42 AM
Post #359

Been up at my place in the AZ mountains since December 7th. - it's been 1.5 years since I was able to get back up here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

A tree in the front yard died, so had to cut it down, as well as perform some overdue yard maintenance. Another unexpected item, we discovered that a big rat had taken up residence in the RV garage, and judging by the amount of it's turds, it must have moved in shortly after I left last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) The pest control guy stopped by and gave us some traps and the rat was 'liquidated' in less than 24 hours.

Attached Image

Of course, the clean-up took much longer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Sorted through a lot of 914 parts that I need to bring back to CA and performed some general clean-up in the garage, since I need to park the trailer in there for a while.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 18 2019, 03:54 AM
Post #360

Also, had a friend come by for a few days and we constructed a 'safe space' (dog run) under the rear deck area for when we bring our small dogs up here. Will install some nice decorative, vertical, stained-redwood 2x2s to make it look more architecturally pleasing when I come back this summer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

56 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:53 PM