Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
euro911
Everybody posts what they've accomplished in the 'What Have You Done to Your 914 Today?' thread ... well, this is a special thread for us enthusiasts to post why we haven't worked on our car(s) and precisely why they're still on jack stands, and/or buried somewhere under mounds of shit in the garage, etc. ... some of them, for decades poke.gif

Since I'm one of 'those guys', I guess I'll start laugh.gif

As some of youse guys may already know, in an effort to gain additional parking and work space, I've been prepping an area in my back yard to accommodate said space. I need more elbow room, because the cars are currently parked back-to-back in the narrow driveway, and that simply doesn't allow me to easily work on any of them. Having close access to the garage will also be a big plus.

Gravel & the rebar was installed today, need to put down some dobie blocks and the concrete is scheduled to get pumped in and troweled tomorrow ... weather permitting. The form running the length is spacing for bricks to line the edges between the new slab and the existing walkway, giving it a little more 'wife pleasing' appearance cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The design retains some grass that the wife was adamant about, and a sweeping curve, which will allow any of vehicles parked there an unobstructed path through the bottleneck to the driveway. The curved portion will also receive brick edging, creating an eye appealing appearance, but retaining a more utilitarian purpose. At least, that's how I sold my wife on the whole idea rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I should be able to utilize the new-found pavement in a few weeks if all goes as planned ...

Polishing my tools as we speak. Wait ... that didn't sound right headbang.gif
preach
Nice work.

For me I am 5000mi from mine for work. Hi and staying in Waikiki so I really cannot complain!
Chi-town
Every once and a while I have to do work for my actual job laugh.gif
Literati914
Because a car guy was talked into buying a house without a garage headbang.gif
KELTY360
Because my car is 50 miles away, across the Salish Sea, at 914Werke getting the head pulled and exhaust stud hole welded, tapped and threaded. Having moved to a much smaller car space I have to procrastinate from long distance. dry.gif

The good news is I may actually be driving it in a couple of weeks! Woohoo!! driving.gif
KaptKaos
I had to shovel and rake about 3 yards of mulch smile.gif

I hope to have nicer weather this week, and plan to driver her to work.
yellowporky
Married with children
KSCarrera
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 7 2019, 04:45 AM) *

Because a car guy was talked into buying a house without a garage headbang.gif

I feel your pain. Before my marriage breakdown 16 years ago, I lived in a converted water mill which had a four-car garage and a separate 16x16 workshop attached. Now I have a tiny house with no garage, so have to rent two single-car lock-up garages in town. Took me several years to find those. People with garages (and power!) don't know how lucky they are! biggrin.gif

So that's why I don't always get to work on my car(s) as much as I'd like... Sigh. headbang.gif
Porschef
Work, rain.

Work, rain.

Work, rain.

There’s a pattern here somewhere dry.gif
gandalf_025
Quick answer is “Sometimes it is just easier
to ignore them”. Or, I haven’t gotten that far down the
Priority list in a while....
ClayPerrine
Simple answer...

Kidney stones and high power pain meds (not a good mix with power tools).
JOEPROPER
I had to pick up the rent. If i get a chance today, I will braze my clutch and accelerator tubes in place.
sb914
I’m fuching lazy !
Mark Henry
Too busy building 996/997.1 engines.

Just got a 997 job last weekend, I have to rebuild the engine, turn it into a full pop 4.0, full suspension rebuild (mods), new exhaust (mods), brakes and more mods. Ballparking prices I was up to $50K when the dude looked at me and said "I want it to be a brand new car, built the way I want it and I know it will be big budget". All righty then...I stopped ballparking and just listened. biggrin.gif
Took him for spin in a 4.0 996 C4S I just built and I think he jizzed his pants.

Guys like this is why I've been mostly doing the newer Porsches lately. shades.gif

But the downside is I haven't had much time to work on the wifes or my 914 sad.gif
tygaboy
Building what started out to be a storage shed. In typical fashion, it got a little out of control and turned into a really cool "sleeping room".
Who wants to come for a visit? beerchug.gif

Then my wife said "Well, we should add a little fence."

This is what happens when you say that to a guy who has a welder but no wood working tools...
euro911
That looks GR8. aktion035.gif

I have carpentry skills, but just got my first MIG welder. I'm sure there will be a learning curve involved with that welder.gif
oldschool
Well got a hot Boxster a few years ago, and now the 914 is just waiting to go for a cruz.
can't beat AC and speed! laugh.gif
Chris914n6
I've been working on someone else's 914.... and a 39 line item to do list on a 2005 VW Beetle flip headbang.gif

My 914 just needs oil and a filter and a prayer that all the hiccups are finally gone.

IPB Image
twistedstang
Because its done....until I get the parts for a six swap.
Spoke
Working on the window regulator for the passenger door of the 911.
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 6 2019, 08:00 PM) *
Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?

Upgraded to a new the electrical main panel, the old one was from 1956 and according to the city inspector "those like to go up in flames", so it was time for a replacement.
Had to dig a level platform into the hill according to building code, good thing we never used those crappy concrete stairs anyways (it's the back of the house).
Went with 200 amps while i was in there, you can never have enough amps!

Click to view attachment

SirAndy

Leveled the sunny spot in the backyard and put up 3 rows of planter boxes. Transplanted all the plants from the old boxes into the new arrangement. Still need to set up some automated irrigation but for now this will do.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy

Leveled the sub-floor in the "sun" room, which used to be a kitchen with really ugly linoleum tiles and started laying down 2" strips of red oak hardwood to match the rest of the house.
This will probably keep me busy for a few weekends.

Click to view attachment
LowBridge
found a new 914 to work on lol-2.gif

Superhawk996
Keep having damn skin cancer cut off me! Back for more tomorrow. Trying to keep grinding dust & crap off my wounds!

Should have worn more sunscreen in my youth. Hell, we didn't even know what sunscreen was! huh.gif
Beach914
Replaced Drivers window regulator on my 528i DD last weekend and finished repairing headlight switch stalk on the 308 after I couldn't take my wife out to dinner in it. One of the rare times she actually asked to ride in it!
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Sort of same situation but doing a full house makeover before resale,don't need a house this big now and such a large property for that matter,my 914 is sadly stored away in a friends shed but gets a start up on a regular basis but miss working on it.
One good thing is when cleaning up my hoarded miss I'am finding parts I didn't recall having biggrin.gif .
euro911
QUOTE(LowBridge @ May 7 2019, 12:28 PM) *
found a new 914 to work on lol-2.gif
Those 70's GMC motor-homes are the schnitz drooley.gif ... That's what I would want if I ever decided to buy a motor-home.

A friend yanked all the MDF out of his and installed some panels of aluminum honeycomb sandwiched between CF that he bought from General Dynamics' surplus yard (for pennies on the dollar). When he was done, the motor-home weighed 3,000 lbs lighter than when it was stock aktion035.gif
AZBanks
Finishing up some paid work yesterday and today but the rest of the week is dedicated to the 914.
tmc914
Busy working all day, then tired at night. Wanted to go to get ice cream and saw I didn't install the metal cover under the front axle! Quickest four bolts I ever threw on the car. Only dedicate one day a week to work on the car. Well, got a BBQ to go to this weekend so it will be only a half day to work on the car. Told a friend I would install LED foot-well lighting in his car if he helped me with my car. Can't remember where I put those lights that were bought last year.
euro911
Well, it'll be a few weeks until the new slab will be 90~100% cured, and I won't be driving on it until at least then ... but the pour and broom-finish was completed today mueba.gif

(I scraped up the slag after the pix were taken) shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Will yank the forms in a day or so, and hopefully start lining the edges with bricks next week idea.gif
Dion
Restoring this so I can have proper air tools & run a paint gun in the future.
Dion
Sanded & a new coat of colour
euro911
Nice restoration, @Dion .

Hey, I just saw your CIS thread ... left you a question there.

ConeDodger
What is it that you think I should be doing? I just turn the key and drive these days...
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 8 2019, 07:07 AM) *

What is it that you think I should be doing? I just turn the key and drive these days...

Time to build another. laugh.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 8 2019, 04:35 AM) *

This brings up an interesting philosophical question: If there’s nothing left to do, can you be a slacker for not doing anything?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 8 2019, 08:35 AM) *

Oh, you mean this...
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2019, 07:13 AM) *

Simple answer...

Kidney stones and high power pain meds (not a good mix with power tools).

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 03:03 PM) *

Keep having damn skin cancer cut off me!..

Should have worn more sunscreen in my youth. Hell, we didn't even know what sunscreen was! huh.gif

Dang guys, I feel for you .. hope you're better soon!!
danschy
Finally a thread I can contribute to. There are three basic reasons:
A) I don't own a 914
B) I don't have the space to work on one
C) I have no car skills, other than minor maintenance

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying this forum as I love 914's based on owning one for 15 years in my younger years. I am astounded at what skilled people can do in their spare time. smile.gif
Montreal914
With my daughter now driving, the 914 is my only DD driving.gif

Can't really sit on jack stands, which is good biggrin.gif But list of stuff is starting to pile up... sad.gif
Larmo63
I have other hobbies and I work when I feel like it and I like going surfing and....

Old bikes:

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Old guitars and amps and playing them REALLY loud....

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Jet lagged from business trip to Yuripp.

Fires to put out upon return.

Prep for Luft (there are gonna be a lot of 914s there, which I count as a win).

Really want to get those Scheels in...but don't want to do it in a rush. smash.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 8 2019, 08:30 PM) *

Old guitars and amps and playing them REALLY loud....

Click to view attachment

Lawrence unplugged Live... enjoy and don't fret aktion035.gif !!
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 8 2019, 11:29 PM) *

I have other hobbies and I work when I feel like it and I like going surfing and....

Old bikes:

aktion035.gif
euro911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/r4kiXh8YOzk
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 9 2019, 12:08 PM) *

"I'll get you my pretty, and your little car too!"

colingreene
waiting for parts to show up i ordered from sierra madre on Saturday.
tracking number said they sat waiting to be picked up for two days.
oldschool
QUOTE(colingreene @ May 9 2019, 10:28 AM) *

waiting for parts to show up i ordered from sierra madre on Saturday.
tracking number said they sat waiting to be picked up for two days.

yup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.