Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
9fourteen14
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 6 2019, 11:00 PM) *

Everybody posts what they've accomplished in the 'What Have You Done to Your 914 Today?' thread ... well, this is a special thread for us enthusiasts to post why we haven't worked on our car(s) and precisely why they're still on jack stands, and/or buried somewhere under mounds of shit in the garage, etc. ... some of them, for decades poke.gif

Since I'm one of 'those guys', I guess I'll start laugh.gif

As some of youse guys may already know, in an effort to gain additional parking and work space, I've been prepping an area in my back yard to accommodate said space. I need more elbow room, because the cars are currently parked back-to-back in the narrow driveway, and that simply doesn't allow me to easily work on any of them. Having close access to the garage will also be a big plus.

Gravel & the rebar was installed today, need to put down some dobie blocks and the concrete is scheduled to get pumped in and troweled tomorrow ... weather permitting. The form running the length is spacing for bricks to line the edges between the new slab and the existing walkway, giving it a little more 'wife pleasing' appearance cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The design retains some grass that the wife was adamant about, and a sweeping curve, which will allow any of vehicles parked there an unobstructed path through the bottleneck to the driveway. The curved portion will also receive brick edging, creating an eye appealing appearance, but retaining a more utilitarian purpose. At least, that's how I sold my wife on the whole idea rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I should be able to utilize the new-found pavement in a few weeks if all goes as planned ...

Polishing my tools as we speak. Wait ... that didn't sound right headbang.gif

mine is still stored for the winter it is such a rainy April.. this winter in New england was very mild not to much snow.

but i am preparing to take it out and do some work.

thanx 914 Luva
914e
Does searching for where you misplaced the parts count as working on your 914 or not working on your 914? confused24.gif
DRPHIL914
Although during my brief 1 week not working i have done many things on and not on the 914, today was removal of a bathroom cabinet and installation of a new one, but of course nothing is simple, remove, repair wall, paint, install new base board and quarter round, then install new cabinet and water supply, drain etc. then clean up. Took all day. maybe tomorrow there will be time for 914 stuff......
KSCarrera
On lockdown - no driving, no visiting friends, just exercise, so plenty of walking. Fortunately where I live there is plenty to see...

Click to view attachment
euro911
No driving? WTF.gif

Who the hell are you going to have contact with when you're in an enclosed vehicle ??? screwy.gif

We've taken drives up the coast and all the gas stations were open for business. We were passed by 3 Highway Patrol vehicles on 3 separate occasions during our last outing, they didn't even slow down to check on us ... they just kept going on about 5 mph faster than we were going confused24.gif
914 Ranch
Started to plan an event for about August. Hopefully we will be able to gather by then. As I would like to do another one in November.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2020, 12:42 PM) *

No driving? WTF.gif

Who the hell are you going to have contact with when you're in an enclosed vehicle ??? screwy.gif

We've taken drives up the coast and all the gas stations were open for business. We were passed by 3 Highway Patrol vehicles on 3 separate occasions during our last outing, they didn't even slow down to check on us ... they just kept going on about 5 mph faster than we were going confused24.gif

That's the difference over there to over here. We can drive to a shop or doctors (fortunately, we can buy what we need in our little town, so don't have to drive anywhere) but it's now generally accepted that any unnecessary movements have the potential to further the spread of the virus. Nobody can be sure there won't be a mechanical fault – or worse still, an accident – that will mean the intervention of others, from AAA, to police, ambulance...fire, thereby pulling emergency services away from more important work. The other problem is the realisation that you can't trust everyone to be sensible – while you or I might be responsible and not go jumping in a car and visiting friends here there and everywhere, increasing the threat of spreading the virus, others are too stupid to realise the possible consequences of their action, spoiling it for the majority. So a universal 'lockdown' is the only way, I guess.

It's no big deal not driving for a while – I last drove my 914 three weeks ago and, I have to admit even back then (the day before the official lockdown), I still felt a little guilty. We can't get our heads round seeing images of cars out in convoy, or cars'n'coffeee events still taking place. But that's just our way of combating things – nobody knows who's right or wrong. All we know is that by staying in there is far less risk of spreading a virus than going out just for the fun of it...
euro911
The sooner this project gets done, the sooner I can carve out some time to tinker on 'HOWARD's restoration ...

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Apr 15 2020, 02:20 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2020, 12:42 PM) *

No driving? WTF.gif

That's the difference over there to over here. We can drive to a shop or doctors (fortunately, we can buy what we need in our little town, so don't have to drive anywhere) but it's now generally accepted that any unnecessary movements have the potential to further the spread of the virus. Nobody can be sure there won't be a mechanical fault – or worse still, an accident – that will mean the intervention of others, from AAA, to police, ambulance...fire, thereby pulling emergency services away from more important work. The other problem is the realisation that you can't trust everyone to be sensible – while you or I might be responsible and not go jumping in a car and visiting friends here there and everywhere, increasing the threat of spreading the virus, others are too stupid to realise the possible consequences of their action, spoiling it for the majority. So a universal 'lockdown' is the only way, I guess.

It's no big deal not driving for a while – I last drove my 914 three weeks ago and, I have to admit even back then (the day before the official lockdown), I still felt a little guilty. We can't get our heads round seeing images of cars out in convoy, or cars'n'coffeee events still taking place. But that's just our way of combating things – nobody knows who's right or wrong. All we know is that by staying in there is far less risk of spreading a virus than going out just for the fun of it...

Same in NZ Keith not easy but required.
Zaffer
Been busy replacing half the floor joists in my 92 year old farm house as we are expanding the small back bedroom to be the wife and I’s new bedroom with the install of a new bathroom as well.

As for not working on the 914, currently getting parts together to start on it again after 10 years in storage. While it isn’t a restoration, just trying to get it back on the road and drive-able, which will entice me to spend money on it, and maybe eventually a paint job.
That being said, just sent my rear calipers to PMB for restoration and currently restoring my fuel tank. Working on a customer’s 914 lit a fire to at least start the process as I forgot how much fun these cars are! I focused on my Fiat 2000 last year (mechanically at least), so time to focus on my first love again!
euro911
More lumber & nails ...

Click to view attachment

... although I DID receive some new intake manifold studs for HOWARD's new motor in the mail today biggrin.gif
michael7810
This. Unfortunately the engine Made a very loud backfire during warmup and subsequently had no compression due to a bent exhaust valve. Luckily it happened on the ground. Her maiden flight will have to wait.
Click to view attachment
brcacti
Could not change the oil because the gaskit kit I bought never arrived, said delayed because of covid 19
FlacaProductions
Not to take away from some of our usual suppliers here, but I've had good luck during recent time by using ebay/little guy vendors. It's usually just them and they seem to be able to get stock out the door. I try the usual suspects but if I see delays in shipping, I go ebay...for now, anyway!
914werke
Cuz I was workin on a 32 Pontiac, 68 Camero, & a 71 GTO
euro911
About a month later ... getting closer to the outside being done smile.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
A gentleman drove out here from Vegas to purchase my wife's '99 Beetle this morning mueba.gif He and his brother are going to yank the VW motor and install a turbo'd Honda motor in it ... and drag race it blink.gif ... I thought they were going to enter it into the '24 Hours of Lemons' driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Gave 'Eileen' a good scrubbing ... as we're going camping up near Big Bear Lake next week (annual Amateur Radio Field Day event) ... Gonna see how well the new 2.1L handles the mountain roads popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

... and washed the Cayman (haven't named her yet). Then, the Mrs. & I drove up the coast to Malibu again and had a bite to eat mcmark.gif ... then drove from the beach inland along Sunset Blvd. and back down the 405 towards home.

Click to view attachment
euro911
KSCarrera
'Cos been working on this (the car, not my wife).

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Picked up some new shoes for my Bug.

euro911
Did some more prepping for the upcoming Big Bear camping trip. Changed the oil in the Z50 pit-bike ...

Click to view attachment

... also cut & shaped some extra 1" thick soft foam padding for the driver's seat in 'Eileen', then installed new seat covers.

Click to view attachment

Comfy smile.gif
euro911
Had a 2" hitch receiver welded to 'Eileen's front bull-bar this morning. Cleaned up the welds and primed the area when I got home. Wanted this for a front luggage rack (and/or to transport a small pit-bike) biker.gif

Click to view attachment

While touching up the paint, noticed the front grilles needed some TLC too, so I removed them, washed them and hit them with Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black.

Click to view attachment

Ready for my camping trip now smile.gif
eric9144
@euro911 beerchug.gif Awesome, lets see pictures of that Z50 up on it too, have wanted to do something similar for years to take our minibikes with us camping more easily.
Root_Werks
Still working from home which has allowed me to work on our house more.

Looking up the stairwell to the living area.

jd74914
Got the hydraulics on my “new” tractor fixed yesterday. Now to start the field grading process.
Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 23 2020, 07:33 AM) *
@euro911 beerchug.gif Awesome, lets see pictures of that Z50 up on it too, have wanted to do something similar for years to take our minibikes with us camping more easily
Film at eleven ...
SixerJ
Seeing as it was Midsommer at the weekend and that means winters coming I finished installing the hardest part of the heating into the garage (as far as I'm concerned)

The garage is at basement level, large kitchen above / house basement on the right side as you look at the 911.

It is extremely well insulated apart from that long wall with rads on it. That wall is a brick-cavity-brick construction & the space is also very air tight. Therefore once it gets cold, it stays cold.

In spring this year I found a small amount of black mould on the ceiling / behind a pipe that runs above the garage door which is clearly the coldest spot and allowing condensation to form. That was the point when I decided I had to install heating

Copper is not my strongest DIY point and just out of shot where it runs up the wall I'm switching to plastic barrier pipe which will run as a single F & R pipes all the way back to the boiler header / valve set and controls in the basement

The plan is to tap off the header and install a separate 2 port valve and dedicated Temp / Hum stat in the garage sitting at about 14DegC 24/7 356 which will keep the whole space above dew point and toasty with minimal input

Come winter the issue will be what will be my excuse not to work on the 914? Skiing thats what shades.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Looks like a nice space with nice lighting too. Now you will have no excuse (except skiing) to keep you out of the garage. beerchug.gif
SixerJ
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 24 2020, 12:11 AM) *

Looks like a nice space with nice lighting too. Now you will have no excuse (except skiing) to keep you out of the garage. beerchug.gif

I have to admit its a big space for the UK and I'm very lucky. Space for 3x cars plus a workshop area at the back / tight ish but can walk around

The space along the long wall is a bit of a shuffle to get into but if a car is on a dolly or 4 wheel skids its fine

Head height is restricted so no lift for me, maybe one of those floor things that you drive over one day with a stop on it so you cannot crash into the ceiling

Lighting is great and I went nuts with fittings 15 x 5ft tubes. I hate poor light
barefoot
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 22 2020, 09:43 PM) *

Had a 2" hitch receiver welded to 'Eileen's front bull-bar this morning. Cleaned up the welds and primed the area when I got home. Wanted this for a front luggage rack (and/or to transport a small pit-bike) biker.gif

Click to view attachment

While touching up the paint, noticed the front grilles needed some TLC too, so I removed them, washed them and hit them with Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black.

Also gives lots more front collision protection. I always worried about minibuses as your feet are inches away from collision damage.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 24 2020, 01:19 PM) *

Also gives lots more front collision protection. I always worried about minibuses as your feet are inches away from collision damage.

You are definitely "first to the scene of the accident."

euro911
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 24 2020, 11:19 AM) *

IPB Image

It helps to push Prisus out of the way too laugh.gif
mepstein
My son and I are rebuilding our deck
mepstein
Mueller
For the last week or so I've been trying to clear the Check Engine codes on our '98 Volvo S70 T5.

I dropped the gas tank, pulled the air pump to test (found a broken hose in the engine compartment)

And then found another broken hose that connects to the charcoal canister.

Just got the car smogged after waiting a day to get the computer to reset.

The smog tech said he was impressed how well the car ran and in what great shape it is for having 240,000 miles on it.

I laso have been changing T8 florescent bulbs to LED in my garage so I can see what I am working on. Today I will finish the side that the 914 is on.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 29 2020, 07:33 PM) *

Looks exactly like the color we chose! Caution though, couple of pretty warm days this Spring noted to always wear something on the feet. Bear feet = ouch!

Cairo94507
I built a large deck at my other home and used TrekDeck on it and let me tell you my dogs would not walk on that in summer time. It gets really hot. Shoes or sandals are an absolute necessity. Looks good though and is very easy to maintain. I would just power wash it once a year and use the blower the rest of the year and it always looked new. Thank God no decks at our "new" home. beerchug.gif
mepstein
We are heavily treed and the deck is in shade almost all day. I was out on it today, Almost 90 degrees (about as hot as we get here) and I could have rested my face on the deck. I had already made sure it would work for me. beerchug.gif

Railing will be black to help fade into the woods as we look out.

Here’s just part of the tree canopy.
euro911
Unloaded this bad boy from the ABF delivery truck this afternoon ... all 350 lbs. of it blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Need to deal with some pre-logistics prior to rolling it onto the 4-post lift. Actually, it will see the undercarriage of a 914 - some day popcorn[1].gif

DRPHIL914
why didn't I?? work first off, and second when I finally got home it was 101'F in the shade and hotter in the garage! instant sweat with out doing anything . I need to sort my speedo issue but that and the other car work will have to wait until saturnday morning. I really need to consider AC in the garage. Garage doors are insulated variety but 2 things here don't help , one is that the mid-day sun and late after noon bake the garage door. We have lots of trees but for 3-4 hours that side of the garage really gets the direct sunlight, and then there is the builder and previous owner I don't think insulated inside roof of the garage. there is no access to the 3+carage attic space even though it is attached to the house so I think my summer time project will be putting in a pull down access at least and get in there to spray foam that ceiling, then I need to decide if I am installing a lift and if so, then removing part of the ceiling in that section to open it up so the lift can go up higher... see what happens when I am NOT working on the 914, my thoughts wander into other areas... or maybe its this 100 degree heat getting to my brain.... or my 16 year old giving me fits... that will drive anyone crazy as well...…

have a great day, got to go to work and …… think about what I am not doing on thec car …….
Tdskip
Got the front brakes off the Tii, you have to love dry state cars ( this one was a long-term Nevada car ) has everything disassembled like it was just put on.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Nope, still haven't had the opportunity to work on the 914 ... or the 912 ... or ...

Yesterday, I got around to installing the window I built last month. It's got to come out again when I cut a real 2"x6" window sill for it, but just got tired of looking at the plywood nailed-up over the opening ... luckily it's just a handful of screws securing it right now, so it won't be a tough job to re-do it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jett
Bought a Honda CT70 to restore, 550 miles and all stock.
JFG
Due to the unavailabilty of a decent face mask and the current rain i still can't progress the weber rain covers that i'm making.
euro911
QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 8 2020, 06:31 AM) *
Already looks nice as-is confused24.gif

They're fun little pit/camp bikes. One of mine the cam chain slipped a tooth so's I gotta look into that. The other one (a 4-speed 'H' model) is all torn apart waiting a complete restoration with a color change from red to Candy Saphire Blue - my favorite color for them smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
How great is that! I had one of those when I was a kid. It was red. Lots of fun. beerchug.gif
euro911
I'm still a kid ... it's just my body that's aged laugh.gif
Jett
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 8 2020, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Jul 8 2020, 06:31 AM) *
Already looks nice as-is confused24.gif

They're fun little pit/camp bikes. One of mine the cam chain slipped a tooth so's I gotta look into that. The other one (a 4-speed 'H' model) is all torn apart waiting a complete restoration with a color change from red to Candy Saphire Blue - my favorite color for them smile.gif

Click to view attachment

nice color
mepstein
Finished the deck just before a tropical storm blew through. Well, not “finished” but the decking is down. I still need to install the railing and the stairs but I had to finish the decking before my wife would authorize more funding. Since I have never built a deck, she didn’t want me to buy a ton of materials and let it go unfinished. She’s happy with the way it turned out so more materials are on the way. We haven’t been at our house much over the last couple years so this is the summer of the house projects. Money is tight so my labor has to substitute for professional help.
The good thing is once the list of house projects are covered, I’m rehabbing my workshop. Interior, exterior and hvac.
SKL1
Didn't work on the 914's but saw a really nice 6 with extensive euro race history at C&C this AM. A friend in our local coffee group has this in his extensive collection. Got a short ride in it a couple months ago- it is a BEAST, especially with cookie cutters!!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.