Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Tdskip
That looks great Mark.

ValcoOscar
Caught a Laker game with the boys!!!!

They WON biggrin.gif

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Broke my mill again..had it fixed for a few days and I figured I'd do some PM work on it.
Now the X axis is stuck all the way to the left which is binding the dovetails so I cannot get the gib out.

The motor stalls and I cannot turn the leadscrew anymore. Time to disconnect the lead screw I think now so I can push the table back towards the center of the Y axis.

Combination of operator screw up and I should have spent more money on a better machine.

76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 4 2020, 08:34 AM) *

Broke my mill again..had it fixed for a few days and I figured I'd do some PM work on it.
Now the X axis is stuck all the way to the left which is binding the dovetails so I cannot get the gib out.

The motor stalls and I cannot turn the leadscrew anymore. Time to disconnect the lead screw I think now so I can push the table back towards the center of the Y axis.

Combination of operator screw up and I should have spent more money on a better machine.

Which mill are you running? Post a pic. My DRO was acting up yesterday. smash.gif
Mueller
Tormach 1100, they are okay. My fault for not doing my homework (on the purchase and the disassembly)

I'll take a picture tonight to show what not to do.

Bleyseng
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 3 2020, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 31 2020, 12:55 AM) *
... Gonna pull the switch out tomorrow and see iffin it's really the problem and if it's repairable. If not, I already found a source for a new one ... type.gif

Apparently the ignition switch and turn signal switch had been replaced previously as evidenced by numerous splices behind the dash screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

I replaced the old turn signal switch because the self-cancelling mechanism didn't work, but routed the new wires to the factory terminals rather than splicing again. I also cleaned up the fuse box terminals and reinstalling some instrument lights that were dangling 'while I was in there' wink.gif

Click to view attachment

I couldn't get the ignition switch to come out of the steering column, but found a bad P/O splice, so the ignition system is back to normal at the moment. I still want to replace the switch, so I'll have to research the process for removing this particular switch assembly.

Click to view attachment

Now, need to the get the rear window defogger and back-up light circuits fixed - even though they're not critical, I'd still like them to work. For now, just glad it's running again ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/R9jaU0rVKJw

Your wiring doesn't look too bad! My 70 Ghia's wiring is painted black, everything is painted black. I have spent hours removing black paint off the wires so I can trace and repair the wiring behind the dash. Everything works now including the backup lites and rear window defogger. Also the PO replaced the steering column with a 71 which of course is a one year odd ball part. Took me a year to find a NOS turn signal switch instead a crappy chinese knock off pos.
914 content- fixed the fog lites so they work with right as I installed LED headlite bulbs which screwed up everything. Now even the Jwest fog lite flasher works!
TravisNeff
Adding another p-car to the fleet
Mueller
Nice targa!

Good news, my mill is not FUBAR'd.

I was able to tap the gib back the correct direction.
I able still waiting for some tools so that I can remove the lead screw so I can inspect it better.

The item with red dot does not come out this direction. Opps.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Jan 31 2020, 07:01 AM) *

Pulled the trigger on this... Should put a few smiles on my face once it's home.

IPB Image

@KSCarrera - well done!
euro911
Nice Targa, Travis drooley.gif

Still prepping the Tacoma for the future sale ... almost done. I really need to start getting the Westy ('Eileen') ready for her desert camping trip next week. I haven't driven her much since the 2.1L motor build... need to change the break-in oil and install a new oil filter, then pack up the camping gear.

Received some parts from 914 Rubber for the '71 914 ('HOWARD'), but it's all going onto storage shelves for now dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 5 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Nice targa!

Good news, my mill is not FUBAR'd.

I was able to tap the gib back the correct direction.
I able still waiting for some tools so that I can remove the lead screw so I can inspect it better.

The item with red dot does not come out this direction. Opps.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice equipment Mike. My stuff is beginners POS crap but serves my skill set well. Go av-943.gif
euro911
Defied gamblin' noose-him's stay at home order, drove out to San Bernardino and picked up a 2007 Cayman driving.gif

2.7L, 6-speed manual, white exterior (what else) with tan interior ... perfect color combo for cruising around in Arizona smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
oldschool
driving.gif ....Nice 1
ndfrigi
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 20 2020, 08:31 PM) *

Defied gamblin' noose-him's stay at home order, drove out to San Bernardino and picked up a 2007 Cayman driving.gif

2.7L, 6-speed manual, white exterior (what else) with tan interior ... perfect color combo for cruising around in Arizona smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

wow! Congratulations Mark! sweet ride!

alexkirkham
let me pose a theoretical question:

there are two patients in respiratory failure. there is one ventilator. one 'defied' an order and was kind of pleased with himself for doing so. the other stayed at home, to keep his family safe and to avoid spread to others. if we put all other claims aside, how do we make that decision?

this may not be theoretical for that long. I am an MD, and I am hearing from my italian colleagues.

sorry to be heavy, but I am seeing people all around defying sensible advice, thinking they are clever / brave / this doesn't apply to them. I don't care about their risk of death, I care about them spreading to others. One's own risk of death is one's own business. One's contribution to another's death is something to be ashamed of...

alex

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 20 2020, 10:36 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

alexkirkham
let me pose a theoretical question:

there are two patients in respiratory failure. there is one ventilator. one 'defied' an order and was kind of pleased with himself for doing so. the other stayed at home, to keep his family safe and to avoid spread to others. if we put all other claims aside, how do we make that decision?

this may not be theoretical for that long. I am an MD, and I am hearing from my italian colleagues.

sorry to be heavy, but I am seeing people all around defying sensible advice, thinking they are clever / brave / this doesn't apply to them. I don't care about their risk of death, I care about them spreading to others. One's own risk of death is one's own business. One's contribution to another's death is something to be ashamed of...

alex

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 20 2020, 10:36 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

euro911
I heard you the first time. Posting it twice doesn't underscore anything.

Just to be kind in response, all the recommended precautions were utilized ... both seller and buyer were wearing N95 masks and latex gloves throughout the entire process, so I doubt we were harming any other citizens (nor non-citizens for that matter).

We had made arrangements to complete the transaction prior to our illustrious 'guvner' proclaiming his edict, and I needed to take advantage of the nice break between rain storms here.

But thanks for posting your opinion, stay safe and have an ice day ... shades.gif
Porschef
That’s a nice lookin’ ride, Mark. You’re gonna love it beerchug.gif
Jett
Washed, clay bared, waxed (x2), treated the new leather interior, and went for a cruise listening to an old AC/DC tape from high school. Great day!

eric9144
@euro911 sweet buy aktion035.gif
@Jett nice!! Funny how the old stereo's get us back in the nostalgia machine, I had to drag out my CD's bc the stereo in my new conversation has a CD player, wasted 1/2 a day digging through old music. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 21 2020, 09:09 AM) *

@euro911 sweet buy aktion035.gif
@Jett nice!! Funny how the old stereo's get us back in the nostalgia machine, I had to drag out my CD's bc the stereo in my new conversation has a CD player, wasted 1/2 a day digging through old music. beerchug.gif

Agreed! I can’t believe we waited 2 minutes to rewind or flip the tape over smile.gif. Also bought an old tape case off eBay that holds 10 tapes or approximately 100 songs smile.gif
911GT2
I once made the dumb decision that it was a good idea to fit airside on mij '69 westy.

Today I corrected that mistake and fitted adjustable shocks. The bus drives a lot better now. Although I need to find the perfect setting still.

Afterwards I took it out for a spin because it was perfect weather out!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
^ Great wheels on your bus—maybe the best I've seen on a bay window—and I am a big fan of Spax dampers. They transformed an XR4Ti (your Ford Sierra) I had years ago. It rode better lowered than it did stock. Handling was far, far better too.
911GT2
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 22 2020, 11:50 AM) *

^ Great wheels on your bus—maybe the best I've seen on a bay window—and I am a big fan of Spax dampers. They transformed an XR4Ti (your Ford Sierra) I had years ago. It rode better lowered than it did stock. Handling was far, far better too.

Thanks!
The wheels are actually Porsche 986 spare tyre wheels shades.gif
gandalf_025
Too cold in an unheated garage..
euro911
Get one of those propane powered parabolic space heaters - they do the trick ... https://www.harborfreight.com/30000-btu-tan...t0aAmsBEALw_wcB

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
I can't believe this thread dropped to page three. So everyone is working on their 914's every day?? We should be so lucky. I've been a little distracted integrating a new boxer 4 into the house. It is not well trained. It likes to go play in the mud.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
It will be my middle son's daily driver.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Helping my wife with some spring cleaning today FERG.gif ... dry.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 27 2020, 04:12 PM) *

She chose cleaning over the 914???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oVnrq-6GnY
Jett
working on the 911 suspension... I am the plating and powder coating runner smile.gif
Jett
front... PMB smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Mar 27 2020, 05:10 PM) *
She doesn't share the interest in automotive hobbies like most of us here ... she'd rather have a clean house.

She wasn't real keen on my buying the Cayman, mainly because we already have a lot of vehicles here and parking is tight. I told her that I would sell the '96 Tacoma and her '99 Beetle (that she never drives) and she lightened up a bit. Both are currently outfitted with 'For Sale signs', and parked on the Blvd. shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Funny thing though ... she wants to go for rides in the Cayman now that's it here laugh.gif
Craigers17
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 28 2020, 03:17 AM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Mar 27 2020, 05:10 PM) *
She doesn't share the interest in automotive hobbies like most of us here ... she'd rather have a clean house.

She wasn't real keen on my buying the Cayman, mainly because we already have a lot of vehicles here and parking is tight. I told her that I would sell the '96 Tacoma and her '99 Beetle (that she never drives) and she lightened up a bit. Both are currently outfitted with 'For Sale signs', and parked on the Blvd. shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Funny thing though ... she wants to go for rides in the Cayman now that's it here laugh.gif

That's a very nice Tacoma! One of my favorite body styles on trucks period. Also, a very reliable truck...bonus....they hold their value quite well too!
preach
@euro911

Driveway looks pretty familiar.

I have a Westy, a 1st gen Taco, a Cayman, a 914, and instead of a Beetle I have a TT.
JRust
Added some power to my garage. Got the 220 wired & one plug in. Adding a second as well as a half dozen 110 plugs & 2 breakers. Needed the 220 for my mid rise scissor lift. Adding the second plug just in case
Cairo94507
JRust- Nice. I know the Bendbak I ordered came in either 220 or 110 with no difference in price. I opted for the 220 as I figured it would make the lift work less when raising and it reportedly cuts down the lifting time too.

When I did my garage I added outlets-a-plenty around the garage and also added outlets up high too for decorative neon, clock, etc. I figured I would have one shot at doing it so I added them. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 29 2020, 07:23 AM) *

JRust- Nice. I know the Bendbak I ordered came in either 220 or 110 with no difference in price. I opted for the 220 as I figured it would make the lift work less when raising and it reportedly cuts down the lifting time too.

When I did my garage I added outlets-a-plenty around the garage and also added outlets up high too for decorative neon, clock, etc. I figured I would have one shot at doing it so I added them. beerchug.gif

Having seen @Cairo94507 Michael's "garage", I'd say follow his lead! It's likely one of the nicest man caves around!
Can't wait to see his /6 tucked away safely in its wonderful home... drooley.gif wub.gif
TonyA
Building a platform bed and organizing the shop some moreClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
Time to apply crabgrass preemergent...
sixnotfour
I colored my Wiife's hair... rolleyes.gif probably should have done mine too beer.gif
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - You are too kind. Thank you sir. beerchug.gif
euro911
QUOTE(TonyA @ Mar 29 2020, 09:57 AM) *
Building a platform bed and organizing the shop some more
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
We opted for a platform for our 'Sleep#' bed with 6 drawers - our 100+ year old house wasn't built with a lot of storage space.

I need to build another one for the S# bed in AZ ... it's still sitting on the floor, but I won't be going there until the C-19 'crisis' is over.
TravisNeff
Been polishing the paint on Jen's new ride. The Driver's rear quarter felt like suede, I puckered up hard thinking I was going to burn all the way through to the primer. Turned out a lot better than i expected. Of course these would have to show up in reverse order LOL
sixnotfour
Mocha Brown ? driving-girl.gif
TravisNeff
Ayup!
bkrantz
Had to do an urgent brake job...on my mountain bike. Went for a trail ride and by the end had little brake action in front. With my Avid brakes, that requires proprietary syringes to bleed from the caliper and the lever during the same operation. Did the front and rear and replaced pads, in about 2 hours.
914e
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 29 2020, 12:29 PM) *

I colored my Wiife's hair... rolleyes.gif probably should have done mine too beer.gif

My kids color my hair, a little grayer every year. mad.gif
euro911
I cut mine a few days ago ... probably should try some brown coloring - it's getting grayer every year dry.gif
poorsche914
Installed some window vinyl on a friend's storefront.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.