Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
jd74914
it was new tool (tractor?) day for me!

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 30 2023, 07:03 PM) *

it was new tool (tractor?) day for me!

Click to view attachment

pray.gif

Wanna’ come dig a foundation for me in the spring ? av-943.gif

I’m looking for a old road grader for next winter happy11.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 30 2023, 07:22 PM) *

pray.gif

Wanna’ come dig a foundation for me in the spring ? av-943.gif

I’m looking for a old road grader for next winter happy11.gif

laugh.gif I haven't dug a foundation in years. Fun stuff!

This is replacing my trusty '68 JD500...up for sale if you want a project. lol-2.gif The funny part is it's actually a downsize.

Not sure about where you are, but I see Huber graders for sale all of the time for cheap. Seems like <$2k can actually get a pretty good unit (from my old iron loving perspective at least).
r_towle
I have a 510….getting to be too big.
I’m gonna start looking for the smaller ones now.

Rich
CCE
Just resting.

Click to view attachment
jd74914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 30 2023, 09:29 PM) *

I have a 510….getting to be too big.
I’m gonna start looking for the smaller ones now.

Rich

Yeah, those are pretty big. Almost rubber-tire excavator level. Though I've seen a few 710s around-talk about huge. The 410 is actually a nice step down in size without sacrificing too much capacity, even though its only a few 1000 lbs lighter.
euro911
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 29 2022, 05:22 AM) *

@euro911 where are you ?
Since you asked - I'm still breathing air, Eddy, just have a lot on my plate these days. Sent you a reply to your message type.gif

'HOWARD' is still on the flatbed trailer ...

Click to view attachment

... waiting for me to get it up to a body shop in Hollyweird to have the rear suspension damage repaired.

Click to view attachment

We moved most of my automotive tools to AZ a couple years ago and I'm not able to get out there very often, so been finishing up the remodel projects at the CA house.

Click to view attachment

Laundry room done, except for paint.

Click to view attachment

Just this past week, my friend Greg and I built a raised floor in the breezeway and put up some drywall to cover the stucco and plywood shear from when we raised the roof last year ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... painting the walls and trim today ...

Click to view attachment

Also, went to the dark side happy11.gif ... and bought this in December 2022 ...

Click to view attachment

... so I had to install a larger breaker panel and install a 240 volt outlet to charge it laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Spent past few days installing a Berg 5spd in my Bug:

Root_Werks
Size difference:

SKL1
Didn't play in the shop- binged the new season of Drive to Survive... and even for a F1 fan since the mid '60's, found it entertaining...
Jett
Picked up a new to me teener… never seen a grey one.
Superhawk996
Yesterday was electronics repair day.

The treadmill died the other day. While my wife was on it and nearly threw her off when the belt stopped suddenly and she still had walking inertia. lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment

$250 for a motor driver circuit board. Not happening. Time to troubleshoot it to find what failed.
Click to view attachment

$0.75 cent offender found and replaced.
Click to view attachment

Treadmill is working again. Having “saved” $249.25 by not buying a new control board, I can now justify the money I spent on 914 parts the other day and still have some money left over. happy11.gif

Then there was my favourite vintage pre-amp that gave up the ghost after the cross country move even though I packed it very carefully.

This one was due to two heatsinked transistors vibrating (40 year old glue let loose). The movement broke the solder joints. Resolder - no parts required. Glad to have it back in operation!
Click to view attachment
Dion
Because Akita…. The pup wanted to track deer instead.
mgarrison
Well...Sue our daughter's trainer is 78 and struggles getting around the barn while training. The parents got together and bought her a used golf cart. driving-girl.gif The HS boys that feed on Sundays load the golf cart up with too much hay and managed to break a leaf spring. So, I got to replace the leaf springs...
Click to view attachment

While replacing the leaf springs I noticed the tires were dry rotted and cracking. I'm sure all the extra weight doesn't help! So, fast forward a week and I'm replacing golf cart tires. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment
anderssj
Dog day afternoon…

Click to view attachment

I think I need to wash his frisbee.

r_towle
Still too cold.
DRPHIL914
Why? - too hot, too much pollen and I'm dang tired! I needed to clean it , maybe tomorrow? i have a new to me center console coming so i guess that will be the next thing to do.....
ValcoOscar
In my spare time, I've helped out a local member with this repaint, now back to Irish Green.

Good bones, minimal rust, great gaps

Can't wait to see it back on the road here in SoCal

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=871
349]
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Holy paint jobs Batman! That 914 had about as many colors as mine did before getting it back to original color. Looks great!
mb911
Because the 928 was under the 914 and now the 944 . To many cars in the way
DrinkMan
Because I'm not at home with the garage with all the tools and at our vacation home, i only have limited tools. So, when I wanted to pull off the right front tire to try to find the source of a noise, realized that the wrench I had would not exceed 50 ft-lb of torque and could not remove the lug bolts. So, we went to a local Harbor Freight to get a breaker bar and by the time we got back, it was too late to start and decided that tomorrow is a good day to do this project.
euro911
Still doing remodel projects at the CA house sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

Laundry room is all done & painted except for the trim ...

Click to view attachment

Built a raised floor in my open breezeway, installed and painted the new drywall that now covers the old stucco walls & the exposed plywood shear wall when we raised the laundry room's roof ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... and installed a new (pre-owned) back door that encloses the breezeway ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still have some minor punch-list items, but hoping to be all done soon popcorn[1].gif
SKL1
Not at home- in Charlotte for a track event at Charlotte Motor Speedway! Luckily have a friend with connections so we got great tours of Roush-Yates, Penske, and today Hendrick. Can't take pictures at most spots but NASCAR ain't the good old boys anymore.
After looking at Rick Hendricks collection he must not go by the old saying "to make a small fortune racing start with a big one..."

And I don't think they're making engines like Smokie Yunick used to anymore!!Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Had to be "Barn Dad" the last two Saturdays. Never changed a tractor tire before! Heaviest 14" wheel & tire I've ever had to pick up and put in a truck bed. Thank god for my cordless impact - made quick work of the lugs out in the dirt field! aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
jd74914
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Apr 10 2023, 01:50 PM) *

Had to be "Barn Dad" the last two Saturdays. Never changed a tractor tire before! Heaviest 14" wheel & tire I've ever had to pick up and put in a truck bed. Thank god for my cordless impact - made quick work of the lugs out in the dirt field! aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

Hopefully you never have to do a rear, that's really the worst!
Superhawk996
Keeping the tractor theme going.

Neighbors Ford 545 Hydrostatic steering valve started spraying hydraulic oil like a fountain. It came right up and he steering wheel tube and was spraying in his face. lol-2.gif Not so funny.

This is the main tractor we depend on for road maintenance so it needed to be fixed. For anyone that thinks working on mid-engine 914s is tough, this tractor is 10x worse.

So many fasteners that need a wrench in both sides to loosen things. Poor access. Had to disassemble so many things to get the steering valve out for a rebuild. headbang.gif
Took two long days.

Well it’s back in operation but there is a backlog of other neglected maintenance that I still need to do to get this back in decent running order.
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Installed drop spindles on my Bug. Finally someone came out with zero offset spindles. The ride height is perfect now for street driving.

PlantMan
Pulled the old C6 and installed a T18 in the Ol' Camper Special.
It was the kids idea!
ValcoOscar
I have not done anything with my 914's since returning from WCR2023

Because after 26 years, wife and I decided to relocate 30 min further East to 92503

1.5X larger home, 2.5X larger lot= UPCOMING 914 Monster Garage biggrin.gif smile.gif

Hope to host 914 gatherings in the near future

Stay tuned.....

Click to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 21 2023, 08:43 AM) *

I have not done anything with my 914's since returning from WCR2023

Because after 26 years, wife and I decided to relocate 30 min further East to 92503

1.5X larger home, 2.5X larger lot= UPCOMING 914 Monster Garage biggrin.gif smile.gif

Hope to host 914 gatherings in the near future

Stay tuned.....

Click to view attachment

Welcome to Riverside county aktion035.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 5 2023, 12:08 PM) *

Installed drop spindles on my Bug. Finally someone came out with zero offset spindles. The ride height is perfect now for street driving.

beautiful bug!
bkrantz
Jury duty. mad.gif
East coaster
Bought this distraction……

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Click to view attachment

Supposed to be 118 today. Just too hot
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 16 2023, 12:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Just too hot to be outdoors!!! Thinkin I would rather deal with 90" snow drifts, but screwy.gif
Front yard mechanic
Worked on the other targa new MPI wheelClick to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 16 2023, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 16 2023, 12:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Just too hot to be outdoors!!! Thinkin I would rather deal with 90" snow drifts, but screwy.gif

Summers are rough here. 90” sad.gif The rest of the year is nice here. Good place to visit in the winter. Especially if you like to golf, my clubs rode in the passenger side nicely for night golf in the summer smile.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 26 2023, 09:01 AM) *

Neighbors Ford 545 Hydrostatic steering valve started spraying hydraulic oil like a fountain. It came right up and he steering wheel tube and was spraying in his face. lol-2.gif Not so funny.

This is the main tractor we depend on for road maintenance so it needed to be fixed. For anyone that thinks working on mid-engine 914s is tough, this tractor is 10x worse.

@Superhawk996

They are seriously that bad to work on? Steering valves are always a PITA but two days sounds awful.

I've never owned a Ford tractor and have had a 545 on my 'tractor bucket list' for a while now...perhaps I should be rethinking that and stick to Case IH and Deere? laugh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 18 2023, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 26 2023, 09:01 AM) *

@Superhawk996

They are seriously that bad to work on? Steering valves are always a PITA but two days sounds awful.

I've never owned a Ford tractor and have had a 545 on my 'tractor bucket list' for a while now...perhaps I should be rethinking that and stick to Case IH and Deere? laugh.gif

No seriously it’s terrible. 1970s was not America’s finest engineering. Every nut and bolt is just loose bolt, loose nut and requires two wrenches to loosen. If you’re lucky you can access both the bolt and nut easily. That is rarely true.

After the steering valve, I also had to replace the radiator. Complete nightmare. It’s held in with two blind carriage bolts - not kidding. The access is blind and obscured by the hydraulic pump and castings. One could only be accessed with an 11/16” stubby and turned 1/8 turn at a time before hitting stuff.

The radiator is only accessible after removing the entire front end 1/8” plate steel protective radiator surround and hydraulic tank assembly.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

On the plus side - it has been used hard for 40+ years and is still largely serviceable but still in need of more maintenance (king pin bushings are shot). Rear 3 point hydraulics are on the fritz. You get the picture. Used hard put away wet. But still working.
Click to view attachment

@jd74914

Yellow plastic was to protect my new slab from the oil that it leaks from a yet to be determined location behind the trans filter. laugh.gif
914e
Click to view attachment

Already 24 days of this. I ran out time to complete insulating the garage, so even with AC it is 87 to 93 degrees out there. I'm just trying to keep the cactus alive at this point.
Jett
Took the rear-end out of our wagon… looks like the new motor was too much for the half shaft… Going to order some stronger half shafts and taller gearing (3:07 to 4:11).
ClayPerrine
Kidney stone... pinch.gif
Root_Werks
Left headlight on my Mexi-Bug has had a bullseye hole for a while. Took a bit to get the trim ring off (20 years on there). Didn't chip paint thank goodness.

The headlights are fairly unique, German Hella 50R 00333's. They are the good glass version of the H4's and mount differently than a standard H4 or other 7" round headlight. New they are $300+ each, ouch! Found a very good used set for $100. Now I'll have a spare.

East coaster
Cause I did this instead……

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
In Maui to relax for a week; ran into Tom who I see at various events with his beautiful Bumblebee. I was in a nice little burger bar on the ocean and he walked in. Small world! P.S. I am the short guy.
jd74914
Spent the weekend trenching and running a few hundred feet of conduit in my rock/ledge garden of a yard. Man my back and wallet hurt now. Totally NEC complaint too which was a pita given my yard.
Mueller
Made some speaker wire lug holders for my home built speakers. Parts Express drivers and plans. Made theses from scrap aluminum and some delrin for insulation.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Shivers
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.