Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
ClayPerrine
Busy with other issues in my life. We have a visitor in my garage.

Click to view attachment

This picture is named "Strange Bedfellows."

It is a 1927 Chevy touring car. It was my Father's. It is in my garage while they come out to do an appraisal on his house for estate probate. My dad passed away the Saturday before Christmas. I am dealing with the selling of his cars now.

I have to go get the 1970 Impala custom at lunch today. It won't fit down my driveway, so it has to park out front.

Click to view attachment

This picture is a few years old. My parents were in North Carolina on the Tail of the Dragon. That's my Dad, hauling ass in the big boat of a Chevy. He was a West Virginia country boy, and grew up driving on roads like that. I figure he could probably could have kept up with a pack of 914s on roads like that.

I come by my need for speed honestly.

After he told me about his drive down the Dragon, I went out and found the pictures. Then I had this made.

Click to view attachment

He had it hanging in his office, and would always show it to all his Chevy club friends. It now will hang in my den, with all the other car stuff.

If you know anyone who is looking for a car like either of these, let me know. We are going to consign them, but if I can find a buyer before then, I will sell them outright.

sad.gif

Clay
Arno914
Went for a drive in the 300SE and treated myself to an icecream this afternoon. rolleyes.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

JmuRiz
After 2 years of having the parts, finally installed my big brakes on the S6 Avant (wagon). Went from 2-piston front to 6 piston 17Z Porsche with .5” larger rotors and upgraded to D3 A8 rear rotors that are 2” larger and associated caliper hanger to make it work.

Should be less butt-clenching when highway braking loaded up for a week long trip to the beach. .
jd74914
@Arno914 Have to ask...What topping is on that ice cream? Lemon?
euro911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 28 2021, 07:56 AM) *
Busy with other issues in my life. ...

Clay
Sorry to hear about your dad's passing, Clay.

Lost my second brother in February, and one of my cousins last week sad.gif
Arno914
@ Jim D.: The topping is advocaat. smile.gif
Tdskip
Got the 1969 Lotus Elan put back together enough to drive it for the first time since 1992. Holy cow, fun car.
Tdskip
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 28 2021, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 28 2021, 07:56 AM) *
Busy with other issues in my life. ...

Clay
Sorry to hear about your dad's passing, Clay.

Lost my second brother in February, and one of my cousins last week sad.gif

Hang in there.
VegasRacer
Played hooky from work and went on a drive with my LVR-PCA friends.
Everyone opted for water cooled (meaning air-conditioned) over air cooled today.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SKL1
Took the spyder to a local C&C this morning, and then went to a party for the PCA Scottsdale Treffen volunteers tonight.

Will be adjusting crank end play on the silver '71's engine tomorrow, so does that count??
AZBanks
Did some more work getting ready to drop the engine and organized the part s for the new AC system I'm building.

Everything was going great until I realized my Tangerine engine plate won't fit my big jack. I need one of the plates that screws into a harbor freight jack.

mgp4591
Didn't work on the 914 today because we saw my oldest daughter graduate with her nursing degree and her younger sister graduate with her BS in Geology. Later, we had a BBQ with my wife's family for Mothers Day... TOMORROW I'm working on the car but today was a day of celebration!
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 9 2021, 12:04 AM) *

Didn't work on the 914 today because we saw my oldest daughter graduate with her nursing degree and her younger sister graduate with her BS in Geology. Later, we had a BBQ with my wife's family for Mothers Day... TOMORROW I'm working on the car but today was a day of celebration!

Congratulations Mike, great reasons not to work on your 914. Enjoy the day with your wife's family.

My youngest is graduating with her BS in Public Health in June. My own garage time has taken a hit as of late due to a crazy work schedule....

O
poorsche914
Went with a friend to pick up his "new" 914. He had one several years ago but sold it. Couldn't resist this one when it became available.

Not too bad in the rust department but hasn't been run in a couple years or so.
It's a '74 with 1.8 L-jet. Originally Olympic Blue.

Needs typical things after sitting for 3+ years - brake and fuel systems, most all seals, a good cleaning. Should be a fun project for him.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 8 2021, 08:22 PM) *

Took the spyder to a local C&C this morning, and then went to a party for the PCA Scottsdale Treffen volunteers tonight.

Will be adjusting crank end play on the silver '71's engine tomorrow, so does that count??

NO! that does not count.

I heard there will be free beer tomorrow
euro911
Up until today, been keeping busy with the (slow- paced) laundry room remodel and some plumbing/drain issues that have been bugging me for years dry.gif

Before (the kludge one of my brothers concocted) ...

Click to view attachment

... and after (now tied in to the sewer line under the concrete walkway) ...

Click to view attachment

Also, the slow process of removing and leveling out dirt in the back yard so we can install some new sod ...

Click to view attachment

... and dealing with all the documents for selling our house in Payson AZ. We accepted a generous offer yesterday - more than we expected biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 10 2021, 04:33 PM) *

Up until today, been keeping busy with the (slow- paced) laundry room remodel and some plumbing/drain issues that have been bugging me for years dry.gif

Before (the kludge one of my brothers concocted) ...

Click to view attachment

... and after (now tied in to the sewer line under the concrete walkway) ...

Click to view attachment

Also, the slow process of removing and leveling out dirt in the back yard so we can install some new sod ...

Click to view attachment

... and dealing with all the documents for selling our house in Payson AZ. We accepted a generous offer yesterday - more than we expected biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Backyard looks familiar. The Mrs and I are hunkering down for summer, selling would be one way to deal with the heat. biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Shivers @ May 10 2021, 04:50 PM) *
Backyard looks familiar. The Mrs and I are hunkering down for summer, selling would be one way to deal with the heat. biggrin.gif
Summer months in Payson are quite nice - 5000' elevation ... typically 10~15° cooler than the general Phoenix area summer temps shades.gif
914 Ranch
I was too far from the car. But I did see this 466' floating island moving around. The NORD.

Click to view attachment

BVI vacation, had a great time, donated my glasses to Neptune.
Home now and back to work on the AR.
930cabman
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 9 2021, 01:04 AM) *

Now that is good reason to Not work on your 914, ok enough is enough, get to work and make up lost time.

Congrats, those days make everything worth it
euro911
At a standstill with HOWARD at the moment ... need to grab an early front right strut assembly from my stash in AZ to get rolling again - so I can winch it up on a trailer and head to the body shop.

So ... I ordered a wood dash kit for my '66 912 ... although it won't get installed until after the restoration is almost completed.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Ooooo, 912. My neighbor bought a 60's 912 new. He loved that car. In 1976(77) he gives it to his 16 year old daughter. Fresh out of drivers education, she checks the oil with the dip stick, then goes looking for the place to check the coolant. She really did pull off the "710" cap and topped it off with H2O. My sister's friend.
euro911
A co-worker purchase a new '66 912 when he was in the AF, stationed in Germany. Several years ago, he had a lot of work done to bring it back to a fresh condition, and was thinking about giving it to his 16-year old daughter.

I recommended that he not do that and buy her an inexpensive econo-box for her first car. He later thanked me, as he did buy her some sort of inexpensive import - and in no time at all, she smacked it up headbang.gif
scottthephotog
I met up with Clay and Betty down at Werk 11 in Temple, TX for a swap meet this past weekend. Saw a couple of 914s there. The orange one is an electric conversion. A couple stripped tubs behind the shop. I picked up a couple of parts, left some 914 parts for others to get.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then we got lunch at a great burger place and headed back to DFW. After that, it was over to Warren's house in the evening to go take a look at his 2056cc motor and help him decide where to go with his build.
914e
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 16 2021, 11:58 AM) *

A co-worker purchase a new '66 912 when he was in the AF, stationed in Germany. Several years ago, he had a lot of work done to bring it back to a fresh condition, and was thinking about giving it to his 16-year old daughter.

I recommended that he not do that and buy her an inexpensive econo-box for her first car. He later thanked me, as he did buy her some sort of inexpensive import - and in no time at all, she smacked it up headbang.gif

My daughter spent 2-3 years restoring her 74 Beetle, I fear for the life of anyone that scratches her car.
JmuRiz
I haven't ridden in a (or driven my) 914 in 12 YEARS! But helped my brother get his new-to-him 914 that's been sitting for 6 years started. Local guys will know the car and once we get it running well, will have to have a GTG etc. I have to say it's way easier to get an FI car up and running than a carb'd car that's been sitting for years.

So I've officially done more on my brother's car in a week than I have on mine since I took it apart for conversion and paint 7 years ago. blink.gif

Yikes, I'm the guy I didn't understand when I was a kid with a classic car in the garage buried under kid and family stuff. Maybe this will be the spark that gets mine back on track.
jd74914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 19 2021, 08:47 AM) *

Yikes, I'm the guy I didn't understand when I was a kid with a classic car in the garage buried under kid and family stuff. Maybe this will be the spark that gets mine back on track.

I had that realization a few months ago too...it stung a little bit...

At the same time I realized why my dad always advised keeping closer to stock-when you have nearly no time to work the stock route is a whole lot quicker to fix.

QUOTE(914e @ May 18 2021, 01:57 AM) *

My daughter spent 2-3 years restoring her 74 Beetle, I fear for the life of anyone that scratches her car.

happy11.gif A few people asked my dad if it was really a good idea for a me to be driving a Porsche when younger and he used to say that too. laugh.gif
Cairo94507
Tempus fugit my friends......
euro911
Had another little mishap with my XT250. Originally, the fuel pump and fuel injector were gummed-up from old fuel, causing low PSI, so I started disassembling the f.i. system to see what was up unsure.gif

In the interim, (won't go into detail) the bike fell over and bent the shifter mechanism, pushing it into the left side stator cover and causing an oil leak headbang.gif

I removed the shift lever assembly, straightened out and repainted the bent shifter arm, then removed the side cover for evaluation.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thought it would be a good idea to make a little bolt holder so I get the correct length bolts back into the correct holes during reassembly idea.gif

Click to view attachment

... and snapped some additional images to help aid reassembly ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had taken it in to the local Yamaha dealership for a factory recall campaign, which they did on Yamaha's dime, but they estimated $1,500. to perform all other the repairs - so I decided to bring it home and do it myself shades.gif

Ordered a nice 'pre-owned' side cover on ebay ($49.), some gaskets & o-rings ($62.) and expect to cough up another approx $50. (depending on what I find wrong with the fuel pump assembly) to correct the low PSI issue, so hopefully I'll have this back up & running for a camping trip that's penciled-in for late June (???)
Shivers
I have to chuckle, Mark. I used to be able to throw all the bolts into one can, and they all went back where they belonged. Now I need written descriptions on the outside of individual ziplok bags and plastic containers. Not to mention the photo shoot I do with the canon during disassembly, that way the actual image is about 4 feet by 4 feet and on the laptop I can zoom in close. hehehe loving my titanium years
pascalou
Hi from Belgium ! I change my old Pirelli tyres for Fulda new ones
ValcoOscar
Well, I’ve been laying low the past several months. Stepped away from Chucky (reassembly) for a bit to concentrate on my Tiny Guest House project.
Used to be my parts storage shed but it was time to repurpose.
Hope to finish in a month. Now has a kitchenette, AC, electrical, plumbing, bath and shower, WiFi, TV, garage, etc..
Basically, a tiny house, all 180 Sq Ft confused24.gif

Once finished I’ll get back on Chucky. The goal is to make WCR in Oct

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

76-914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 3 2021, 06:09 AM) *

Well, I’ve been laying low the past several months. Stepped away from Chucky (reassembly) for a bit to concentrate on my Tiny Guest House project.
Hope to finish in a month. Now has a kitchenette, AC, electrical, plumbing, bath and shower, WiFi, TV, garage, etc..

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Very nice as always Oscar. beerchug.gif
sb914
Backer board headbang.gif and you don’t need screen in the pan . No nails below the “curb” looks fantastic......
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 3 2021, 06:23 AM) *

Backer board headbang.gif and you don’t need screen in the pan . No nails below the “curb” looks fantastic......

Couldn't find my tile guy... sad.gif
euro911
Got back from AZ early Friday am and found that all the parts that I ordered to fix the broken stator case (and oil leak) on my XT250 were delivered while I was gone smile.gif

Today, I cleaned up everything real good and installed the replacement parts (gasket, o-rings and stator cover).

Click to view attachment

Next, gotta remove the fuel tank (again), yank the pump out to diagnose the low pressure issue. Might just be a clogged filter, but we'll see what the actual problem is when I get it apart popcorn[1].gif

Brought back a replacement right strut assembly for HOWARD, but that's for a different thread, and still a week or more away shades.gif
falcor75
I hit a sludge/ice boulder with the right rear wheel just after newyears and ran out of driving skills instantly. Should hopefully be done in the repair shop this or next week.

hide.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 3 2021, 09:09 AM) *

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Boy do I feel like a slacker pray.gif
Shivers
Great Job!
poorsche914
Spent the last several days in Vegas working on the SOUL OF MOTOWN show at the Cabaret at Westgate Resort. In the process of updating graphics, video and some stage set items.

If you like Motown music and are in the area, you should check it out. Great show!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
colingreene
Its 96 degrees and we have protesters on our street where my garage faces. So hard pass.
Shivers
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jun 9 2021, 03:48 PM) *

Its 96 degrees and we have protesters on our street where my garage faces. So hard pass.

Have you called Rent-A-Zombie idea.gif
90quattrocoupe
Made up and installed a clutch bypass harness for my MKV Jetta. Now I can adjust my pedal stop to where I like.

Greg W.
Jett
Spend most spare time managing the contractor that is building our barn/garage. Why is this so hard? smile.gif
mgarrison
This is why I did not do anything on the 914 this week... headbang.gif
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
driving.gif Took the wife for a nice little drive, maybe 90 miles, to the backside of Mount Diablo, Clayton and then back home. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
no 914 work again this week- just got the the OBX(Outer Banks, NC) for our daughter’s wedding on Tuesday!!! so much for engine build funds ...
914-300Hemi
Helped my brother in-law pack his pods. He is moving to Florida.
I hate moving.
euro911
Did some more work on my XT250 today. Removed all the bodywork, the fuel tank and injector (again).

Click to view attachment

Waiting on a new fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pump's pressure, will try cleaning the injector again in the interim ...

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Had to do some "stunt welding" on a friend's the Radical ProSport.
The pic doesn't do justice to how out of position and uncomfortable this was. Thankfully, a quick "tack in place" then fully welded on the bench.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.