Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
euro911
Took a break from construction work and decided to change out the steering box on the Ghia. It was steering like a boat, so I picked up a new box for it. What a pain in the ass removing the old box turned out to be. Had to unbolt the gas tank retainers and prop the tank up just to get the old box out dry.gif The ball joints, all the tie rod ends and the pitman arm joints looked good, so I won't be replacing them now, even though I have all new replacement parts on hand, but will be installing a new steering dampener.

Old box:

Click to view attachment

Prepping new box (filled it with white lithium grease and painted it to keep rust at bay):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up old parts for re-use:

Click to view attachment

New dampener - needed it, the old one was real sloppy:

Click to view attachment

Will be installing the new steering box after I finish cleaning up and giving the suspension & braking components a shot of new paint shades.gif
Cairo94507
The smoke is so bad in the air (fires) that my wife forbid me from going outside. I was bored all day. sad.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 22 2020, 06:39 AM) *

The smoke is so bad in the air (fires) that my wife forbid me from going outside. I was bored all day. sad.gif

agree.gif Pretty bad in Utah too..
ClayPerrine
The reason I didn't work on my 914...

I was working on my next door neighbor's 914. No kidding.

Our neighbor has a Blue 75 2.0 that he bought brand new. It is a 1 owner car, but Bob knows nothing about cars. So I help him out.

His wife Debbie saw the LED lights we put on our 3 914s, and wanted to get Bob a set. So she had me order them. They came in yesterday and I went over and installed them. Spokeworks LED boards all around, and 914 Rubber LED headlights.

He loves them. They are MUCH brighter, and much safer.

I also replaced his left rear taillight lens, and put on a late fuse box cover I had laying around. His backup lights don't work, but I think it is the backup light switch. And the rear sway bar link has broken one bushing.

It was a fun evening talking and installing the lights.

Nojoah
With some help from a few of the guys at the shop we pulled this rust bucket out. A 1984 CJ-7. Its definitely in rough shape... to say the least welder.gif, but it will make an awesome project and all the pieces are there. This jeep was actually my fathers in the late 90's which he had always regretted selling. So - after years of watching it rust in a field we finally bought it back and plan to restore it to exactly how it was some 25 years ago. stirthepot.gif
euro911
Dug out the 6"x14" ATS 'Classic' wheel I had repaired last year and fitted it to the '66 912 to see how much clearance it had. Looks good to me smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The original 'steelie' lug nuts were rusty from years of neglect, so I subjected them to a session on the wire wheel and hit them with some flat black paint. They'll have to do for now.

Click to view attachment

I'll have to start looking for some decent 14" tires in the near future ...

type.gif
euro911
Also, installed another window in the north side of the laundry room project.

Click to view attachment

I have some drain pipe and gas line plumbing rework to do before finishing the siding on the north wall ...

Click to view attachment

... hoping to get that done after the current heat spell simmers down popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Years ago I rescued a flagpole. It was ready for a repaint, new sheave, rope and flag.
Tdskip
Nice going guys.

I got the rebuilt engine and overhauled subframe/front suspension back in the ‘74 Tii.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

tygaboy
I (finally) finished the Two Rock Elementary entrance gate and my co-conspirator (Randy from DreamScapes) got it installed!
Tdskip
@tygaboy - nice!
VegasRacer

The Cayman objected to not being exercised frequently over the past few months. hissyfit.gif

Let's see if my new purchase will help the situation. popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
*simulated internet photo for your visual stimulation.
brcacti
Sorry to hear about the smoky air, people living near wild fires and can't go out. Here in the desert about 110 today, in early morning had to change trans oil in honda civic and trim flowers for wife EARLY before the heat came, now stuck inside from the heat. Still have to put the odometer back into the 914, MAYBE tomorrow real early 5:45 am when light. About another 6 more weeks and will bring it out for the fall, winter, spring driving season. Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 5 2020, 01:38 PM) *
The Cayman objected to not being exercised frequently over the past few months. hissyfit.gif

Let's see if my new purchase will help the situation. popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
*simulated internet photo for your visual stimulation.
Saw this on the Planet-9.com forum, John. If the battery is dead and you can't access the cockpit or front trunk, here's a neat method to charge the battery up ...

I'd add an inline fuse to the positive leg though idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 5 2020, 03:58 PM) *

Saw this on the Planet-9.com forum, John. If the battery is dead and you can't access the cockpit or front trunk, here's a neat method to charge the battery up

Who would have thought that you need to break in to your own car to be able to charge or change the battery. screwy.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
euro911
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 5 2020, 07:48 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 5 2020, 03:58 PM) *
Saw this on the Planet-9.com forum, John. If the battery is dead and you can't access the cockpit or front trunk, here's a neat method to charge the battery up
Who would have thought that you need to break in to your own car to be able to charge or change the battery. screwy.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
I got lucky. When my battery went dead, I couldn't unlock the driver's door or front trunk, but there was just enough juice left to pop the rear hatch. I crawled into the cockpit and was able to open the driver's door from the inside. Then I watched a video on youtube that showed where there's a connection inside the fuse panel to hook up a 12 volt source. I connected one of those small emergency battery packs there, which provided enough power to allow me to pop open the front trunk so I could swap out the battery blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/ss6-8TJYIqE
Tdskip
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 5 2020, 04:14 PM) *

Sorry to hear about the smoky air, people living near wild fires and can't go out. Here in the desert about 110 today, in early morning had to change trans oil in honda civic and trim flowers for wife EARLY before the heat came, now stuck inside from the heat. Still have to put the odometer back into the 914, MAYBE tomorrow real early 5:45 am when light. About another 6 more weeks and will bring it out for the fall, winter, spring driving season. Click to view attachment

The 914 looks great, some fantastic driving to be had out there once it cools down.
brcacti
Thanks for the kind words, have to wash it in Oct, right now just in storage, very dusty. This pic was taken in Jan at a car show
DRPHIL914
No work in the 914 , went up to Charlotte NC to visit our son and while my wife was at a class yesterday i drove up to Denver to pay Rick of Rix914parts.com a visit at his shop! besides having a sweet creamcicle LE he happy had at Okteenerfest and Amelia island, and besides his 914 parts like the firewall bushing, back pads, /6 carb intake hats, beautiful rebuilt pedal assemblies, etc etc, he has a few nice /6 conversion projects going on too. just wanted to shout out to rick for the hospitality, a couple brews and just time to shoot the breeze, thanks! hope to get back up there again in the near future.
oh and as a bonus, we left 100degrees in southern South Carolina for 78-82(62 this morning) and just 39% humidity! didn’t have to go far to escape the humidity and heat .
Nacho
It’s crazy HOT outside

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Nacho @ Sep 6 2020, 04:48 PM) *

It’s crazy HOT outside

Click to view attachment

charlotte NC today, we had 100 in HHI South Carolina Friday, broke a 100year record!
Beach914
Wife wanted her Secretary desk brightened up. Too hot to paint during the day. She’s real impatient so doing the best I can. Moved it inside to cure some more before reinstalling hardware.

Also making some progress on the 936
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jett
changing original tires out of 79 CT70
fixer34
Waiting to see if I still have oil leaks after replacing the feed line hose and installing a Rothsport check valve on my -6. Rain and lightning/thunder around here so not taking it out.
Nacho
Well it’s getting worst!

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Staying Indoors!

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
shocked[1].gif
914e
I have done close to nothing on my 914 since the beginning of May. We hit 104 on April 29th, the first week of May hit 106F, the next two weeks was closer to normal. The last week of May hit 112F. Usually when the heat hits early in May the summer is mild, staying mostly under 105F. We have had close to two months over 110F this summer. Two weeks of over 115F. No rain to speak of, we normally have thunderstorms most of August. Last summer broke heat records, this summer almost doubled those records. After 55 years it might be time to move.
Click to view attachment

mepstein
We got lucky. After 95% +++ humidity all summer long, we just had a great weekend. Nice temps and low humidity.
euro911
Yeah, HOT again ... 103° here today. Washed wife's Outback under the shade tree, then took a long nap, as I didn't get enough sleep last night yellowsleep[1].gif

Just ordered (4) Toyo Extensa A/S II P195/70R14 90T tires from TiresDirect.net for the 912's ATS wheels. Labor Day special pricing, $50. discount, no tax & free shipping. $225. shipped to my door mueba.gif

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Unfair competition.

Click to view attachment

Built the shelves last week now I have moved in 3 2 stroke twins.
Nogoodwithusernames
Been working on a sign for a local coffee shop, just delivered it and installed it today. Quite pleased with the end results. Pardon the tinted photo, lots of smoke in the air here in CA still...

Click to view attachment
brcacti
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 6 2020, 08:23 PM) *

Yeah, HOT again ... 103° here today. Washed wife's Outback under the shade tree, then took a long nap, as I didn't get enough sleep last night yellowsleep[1].gif

Just ordered (4) Toyo Extensa A/S II P195/70R14 90T tires from TiresDirect.net for the 912's ATS wheels. Labor Day special pricing, $50. discount, no tax & free shipping. $225. shipped to my door mueba.gif

Click to view attachment

That seems like a great deal smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 5 2020, 07:07 AM) *

I (finally) finished the Two Rock Elementary entrance gate and my co-conspirator (Randy from DreamScapes) got it installed!

^ @tygaboy this is super, super cool…

And plain beautiful.
Jett
QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 6 2020, 03:47 PM) *

changing original tires out of 79 CT70

Front done... change out the CAD in a bit
Tdskip
Got the power steering connected on the FJ40 V8 swap (came to me like this, making lemonade from a VERY rough rig). The event we did with it last year was rough at points without it.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
@euro911 - those tires any good? Handling?
euro911
confused24.gif Don't know, just ordered them yesterday. Here's some reviews though:

"I bought a set of these for my 2014 BMW X1 Xdrive28i all wheel drive. My initial impression of the tires are good. Very quiet, smooth, minimal resistance when taking off from zero and definitely better braking power than the purelli tires that the car came with. Rain traction has been good as well. You can find these at a decent price. I'm usually a Yokohama guy but these toyos were a great choice. I've put less than 1000 miles on the tires so it's a little early to gauge overall handling but so far so good. Definitely need grip with all wheel drive."

"These tires are great! Very quiet, great grip and reduced my stopping distance greatly. Good tires for the price, would purchase again."

"The car drives better with these tires good steering response."

... and some more ... https://www.mavistire.com/tire-reviews/toyo/extensa/
VegasRacer

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 7 2020, 09:28 PM) *

“ It’s got a good beat and you can dance to it”

rock_band.gif
euro911
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 7 2020, 10:37 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 7 2020, 09:28 PM) *
“ It’s got a good beat and you can dance to it”

rock_band.gif
Huh? confused24.gif

I don't think that's my quote ... but while on the subject of music, I did pick up another axe (Fender 'Player Series' Jaguar MIM)- was delivered today. I need to perform a set-up on it, (typical process)

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(914e @ Sep 6 2020, 07:17 PM) *

We have had close to two+ months over 110F this summer. Two weeks of over 115F. No rain to speak of, we normally have thunderstorms most of August. Last summer broke heat records, this summer almost doubled those records. After 55 47 years it might be time to move.

^^ What he said sad.gif almost +10F over average for the whole summer. icon8.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
Pulled a muscle or knocked a vertebrae in my lower back out of place yesterday (Wed.), so went to see my chiropractor. Made a couple of adjustments and stuck me on the roller table with an ice pack under my back for about 20 minutes (holiday on ice rolleyes.gif ) - feeling much better now, but not ready to do anything too strenuous just yet - let it heal up a bit more idea.gif

So, what to do with the down time? ... performed a set-up session on the new Jaguar (not the car) ... plays well aktion035.gif ... it has totally different sound than any of my other axes.

Woke up to find that the local fires dropped a ton (well, a half-ton) of ash on everything. With the nightly marine layer and the ash, it fuched-up all the recently washed vehicles sitting outside dry.gif ... oh well, at least the daytime temperatures came down a little.

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 10 2020, 12:29 AM) *

Pulled a muscle or knocked a vertebrae in my lower back out of place yesterday (Wed.), so went to see my chiropractor. Made a couple of adjustments and stuck me on the roller table with an ice pack under my back for about 20 minutes (holiday on ice rolleyes.gif ) - feeling much better now, but not ready to do anything too strenuous just yet - let it heal up a bit more idea.gif

So, what to do with the down time? ... performed a set-up session on the new Jaguar (not the car) ... plays well aktion035.gif ... it has totally different sound than any of my other axes.

Woke up to find that the local fires dropped a ton (well, a half-ton) of ash on everything. With the nightly marine layer and the ash, it fuched-up all the recently washed vehicles sitting outside dry.gif ... oh well, at least the daytime temperatures came down a little.

Mark

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I spent my Saturday repairing RSR front spoiler damage.
Guys...don't fight with parking lot bumpers, they usually win sad.gif

Oscar
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Car looks great Oscar.

Installed new coil springs in our '10 LR4 Land Rover. Originally it had air bags which worked fine until last week the truck wouldn't go up from it's lowest position. Luckily just a few blocks away from home so I was able to drive it.

I could have fixed the air system, however with the age and mileage it is going to be one issue after another unless I replace everything at once.

Rides good with the coil springs, everything works except that I cannot lower it to make getting in to or out easier or raise it up higher for added ground clearance which I don't do any kind of rock crawling it, it has plenty of clearance at normal ride height.

The little box is to trick the electronics into thinking the system is working correctly.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
No work on Chucky this weekend. headbang.gif
Spent 9 hrs in bumper to bumper traffic returning from Vegas last night (work related) sad.gif dry.gif mad.gif

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Jett
Took the dash out of our 79 928 for the fourth time, and North Hollywood finally got it right... everything works now, although the cruise control kicks in at 28 mph, which is 3 mph late smile.gif
bob164
[quote name='ValcoOscar' date='Sep 28 2020, 08:39 AM' post='2854983']
No work on Chucky this weekend. headbang.gif
Spent 9 hrs in bumper to bumper traffic returning from Vegas last night (work related) sad.gif dry.gif mad.gif

Oscar

Had a similar situation a few year's ago, peeled off I-15 and took the long way home through Death Valley, Trona, Ridgecrestand Palmdale down to I-5 then home. Beat others in our group who stuck to I-15 by 30 minutes. Ended up seeing a beautiful sunset in Death Valley and had a stress free drive.

Bob
euro911
Thanks, Oscar.

Been feeling much better, but have one more chiro visit later today (Wed), just to make sure I'm back on track.

After I replaced the steering box and tidied-up & painted front the suspension/brake components on the Ghia last month, decided to move to the rear and do likewise there.

Here's the driver's side (the passenger side look just as good now too) smile.gif

Click to view attachment

... and of course, the job wouldn't be complete unless I wire-wheeled & painted the lug bolts.

Click to view attachment

Also, disconnected & labeled all the motor wiring, cables & hoses in prep for dropping the drive train. Going to replace the howling transaxle & will be refurbishing the CV joints soon.
euro911
Also ... this neat device was delivered on Tuesday afternoon mueba.gif

Click to view attachment

It's going to make moving trailers a whole lot easier. I think if I can fabricate an extension with some additional wheels to keep it on an even plane, I can use it to move cars too idea.gif
championgt1
On a much needed vacation.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.