Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Andyrew
Oscar,

That tiny house is awesome!!!!

Chris, This is where a scratch start comes in handy eh? You dont have to tig EVERYTHING tongue.gif
euro911
I disassembled the XT250's fuel pump and cleaned all the components real good last week, including the dirty filter and pressure regulator.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I decided to order some new filters just to be on the safe side and those arrived here yesterday, so I reassembled it using one of them.

Click to view attachment

I'll try to pressure-test the pump and if all goes well, reinstall it and the cleaned injector to see if the fruits of my labor were worth it confused24.gif

I got a really good deal on another Honda CT90 a while back too, so been spending a little time refreshing it as well.

Click to view attachment

I rebuilt the carburetor, repaired a cracked downtube cover and a broken headlight housing, then painted all the aged-sun-faded plastic parts with silver metallic paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also cleaned the fuel tank out with evaporust and ordered a new seat cover

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Evaporust seems to be working well in removing rust from the chrome heat shields too smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Waiting on the new tires and inner tubes and a new set of control cables ... should be here by this w/e popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
---no work again on the 914- waiting on my heads to ship back, still have parts to order,
hopefully will be able to work on the car next week, this weekend will be finish bonus room by installing floor and baseboards.....
914 Ranch
I'm hanging out at my friend's house in San Juan Capistrano so I just can't reach it right now. Going to see my Stepmother today and tomorrow I will be going to some Coffee and Cars. This is my turnaround point so after C and C I can get on the road home anytime. But it's kinda nice hanging out here.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Houses at the other end of the block back up to the Ortega Highway.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Reached my turnaround point and took a picture of the Pacific Ocean.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Playing with another toy. Just finished the build. Flite Test Kraken, 71" wingspan. I got no idea how to fly it but I have wanted one sense I first saw one.

Click to view attachment
anderssj
914 remained in VA while I'm in MN. Lots of projects here. Latest is redoing an oak coffee table I rescued:

Click to view attachment

I’ve been working on it off and on for about a week. The legs are sanded (400) and stained (hand-rubbed with Watco Danish Oil “Medium Walnut”). The table top was sanded over about 3 or 4 days. While I prefer to do everything by hand, removing some of the scratches required use of a small electric sander. I stained the top to match the legs yesterday, then it got a final wet sanding (800) by hand this afternoon. I hope to have it in the house in a day or two—picture to follow.

Some plumbing stuff next--no pictures of that.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 1 2021, 10:30 AM) *

---no work again on the 914- waiting on my heads to ship back, still have parts to order,
hopefully will be able to work on the car next week, this weekend will be finish bonus room by installing floor and baseboards.....

July 28, 4 more weeks passed, more boxes of parts collected waiting for the big box(heads) before getting it(motor) back together . during this time that bonus room was finished, floored in a weekend, trimmed and finished and furnished! one more thing off my plate- friday last week i thought id have heads back and be reinstalling the motor, but no..... so now the bushes and hedges are cut, trimmed etc, .... i am running out of things to do to keep me busy while waiting for the last parts so i can get my motor back together and the car on the road!!. i am aiming at mid- august now... missing out on a few things... .
- some of my new and extra parts are new oil pump, new bosch oem injectors,(old ones were fake crap and didnt test out so well) all new fuel lines in back . this weekend if my heads are not back i will be stripping off the old back pad glue , cleanind and repainting the engine compartment while the motor is out, this didnt get done to the level it sould have back when the floor pans were repaired and repainted, and outside was repainted. so looks like next two weeks thats the project at hand. so hopefully my next post can be "what i did to my 914" not "why didnt i "
tygaboy
I was drafted into installing a fuel cell in a Civic race car. This one is running in the Lucky Dog endurance series and I had crewed for the team a recent event. Turned out Randy Pobst was one of the drivers so that was pretty cool.
Today was just getting a rough hole cut and determining where the base support frame needs to go. I'll be fabbing that as the next step. Still a ways to go but the initial fitment work turned out nicely.
Literati914
why nothing done? .. debilitating humidity.

Started to paint some things I'd blasted, but the threat of rain is just enough to keep the sweat pouring and the compressor silent.

930cabman
Simple, I have been working my a@@ off trying to fund my addiction. Heading to look at number 3 Saturday. Can't bring myself to purchase sight unseen.
Jett
Building a new garage and there was a fully remote control dump truck that delivered rock for grading. Very cool tech, a company in Oregon will retrofit a truck for ~$150K.
wonkipop
cause i was drawn back into the hell hole of the ford falcon ute.

Click to view attachment

the view from the tailgate when i lifted my head was magnificent.

Click to view attachment

spent some time pondering german u boat snorkels when i got sick of block sanding.

Click to view attachment

got to take the 914 in and inspect front wheel bearings.
16 year coma means she has woken up with some shakes after a bit of walking around.
plan to reinstall the original fuel pump i rebuilt and do some other messing about.
but the ghost of henry ford is on my case at the moment. beerchug.gif
914 Ranch
Rained all day and I took a nap. But the P-51 is looking good. Should be ready to fly next week.
The car is going to get some more time soon.

Click to view attachment

ClayPerrine
Because I am stuck at work!!!! mad.gif
euro911
Recent activity:

I finally purchased a new Quantum fuel pump rebuild kit for the XT-250, so it's running fine again. Just need to remember to pour some StaBil in the tank before storing for the winter idea.gif

I just don't have enough garage space for all the shit at the CA house, so I picked up a large 'Speed-Way' cycle shelter from a friend who's selling his Harley Ultra Classic. It's housing some of the motorbikes and various large tools that really shouldn't be left out in the weather - just in case we actually get some rain this summer confused24.gif Well, wouldn't you know it, we did get a substantial downpour the same night after I assembled the shelter pat.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Changed the oil & filter (all Mobil-1) in 'Eileen' ('84 Westy), readjusted the throttle cable's pull and readjusted the ignition timing. I wasn't getting full throttle and the timing was off by a few degrees. Took for a short drive and the new 2.1L motor seems fairly peppy - for a stock Wasserboxer laugh.gif

Changed the oil & filter (again, Mobil-1) in the '96 Tacoma.

Change the oil & filter (yep, Mobil-1) in the Subi, and replaced a burned-out driver-side low beam Halogen bulb. Getting the protective cover back on properly was the long pole in the tent, and was a friggin' pain in the burro.gif

I had to watch s few YT videos to see how it's done. They make is look easy but it took me a half hour to complete the task dry.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/hIFMfnmFQK0

Staging a bunch of stuff that needs to go to AZ next trip (when the temperatures start coming down), hopefully, sometime in September confused24.gif
AZBanks
'Cause it is 115 and my garage door gets full sun from about 1 pm until sunset.
914 Ranch
Just like all y'all, weather. So I'm hiding in the living room playing with RC planes. The Kraken is almost flite ready and the P-51's are very close too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 1 2021, 03:14 AM) *

I disassembled the XT250's fuel pump and cleaned all the components real good last week, including the dirty filter and pressure regulator.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I decided to order some new filters just to be on the safe side and those arrived here yesterday, so I reassembled it using one of them.

Click to view attachment

I'll try to pressure-test the pump and if all goes well, reinstall it and the cleaned injector to see if the fruits of my labor were worth it confused24.gif

I got a really good deal on another Honda CT90 a while back too, so been spending a little time refreshing it as well.

Click to view attachment

I rebuilt the carburetor, repaired a cracked downtube cover and a broken headlight housing, then painted all the aged-sun-faded plastic parts with silver metallic paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also cleaned the fuel tank out with evaporust and ordered a new seat cover

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Evaporust seems to be working well in removing rust from the chrome heat shields too smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Waiting on the new tires and inner tubes and a new set of control cables ... should be here by this w/e popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Inspirational! I pulled the motor from our 79 CT70 to have it and the carb rebuilt. Have to soak the parts in evaporust and thinking about painting but not sure.
mgp4591
Blew out something in my right shoulder a couple of weeks ago. It's more mobile now but there's definitely impingement that isn't going away... my doctor's appointment is still a couple of weeks away. Anything I'm doing on my car right now is just planning.
tygaboy
I worked on fabbing part of a custom AL seat frame that's going in an outlaw 911 build. A friend worked out the design, I'm just doing the grunt work. Love my Swag Off Road roll bender! smilie_pokal.gif
tygaboy
This is what's really keeping me from the 914: RacerBenz! It's a 2001 CL 500.
Because how could it possibly be a bad idea turning a ~4000 lb, overly complex luxury coupe into an endurance racer? laugh.gif

Current focus in getting the cage done. So far, it's looking great.
If you're interested in following the build, I'm posting on Grassroots Motorsports:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/bui...d/182195/page1/
VegasRacer
Went for a breakfast drive with some friends. driving.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Now I'm ready for a nap. yellowsleep[1].gif
Front yard mechanic
Thinking about this cayenne vr6 stuffed into my project 914Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 4 2021, 03:07 PM) *

Thinking about this cayenne vr6 stuffed into my project 914Click to view attachment

I like that idea!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 4 2021, 03:07 PM) *

Thinking about this cayenne vr6 stuffed into my project 914

@Front yard mechanic I've been researching the Panamera 3.6 V6 as a swap candidate. They would require dry sumping to work in a 914 as they have a pretty serious, deep sump area. It looks doable but would be custom fab work, for sure.
And I'd be happy to share what I've learned, if that would help. PM if so.
Let us know if you proceed!
sb914
Click to view attachment
jd74914
Wow-what variety!

Are the taller ones mostly dahlias? My wife planted a cut garden for the first time this year but ours didn't fair as well as hoped due to the excessive rain.
sb914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 7 2021, 08:01 AM) *

Wow-what variety!

Are the taller ones mostly dahlias? My wife planted a cut garden for the first time this year but ours didn't fair as well as hoped due to the excessive rain.

Yep.
Mostly all dahlias!
jd74914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Sep 8 2021, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 7 2021, 08:01 AM) *

Wow-what variety!

Yep.
Mostly all dahlias!

Fancy!

In Oregon do you need to dig them up in the fall?
914 Ranch
Playing with airplanes and Jet skis. This morning I made up a bracket for the throttle on my X2. Just another step in the right direction to get her wet.
This afternoon I started on my adventure to build a F-82. I have built a P-51 and that was only to gain experience with the foam board and learn some techniques and gain insight on the foam board. Reason, I love the F-82, I had always liked the P-51 and the F-82 is 2 P-51's on a single wing.
So this morning I started cutting foam board parts for the F-82. Wings and lay out for the spars.

Click to view attachment

Now I have to figure out something for the choke cable and install it.
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Sep 10 2021, 01:21 AM) *

Playing with airplanes and Jet skis. This morning I made up a bracket for the throttle on my X2. Just another step in the right direction to get her set.
This afternoon I started on my adventure to build a F-82. I have built a P-51 and that was only to gain experience with the foam board and learn some techniques and gain insight on the foam board. Reason, I love the F-82, I had always liked the P-51 and the F-82 is 2 P-51's on a single wing.
So this morning I started cutting foam board parts for the F-82. Wings and lay out for the spars.

Now I have to figure out something for the choke cable and install it.

Like an Evil Demon P-38. Hey Joe
914 Ranch
The P-51 and the six pieces of foam board for the F-82 wing. I can hardly wait to get to the fuselages.

Click to view attachment

The center of fuselages are 16" apart. The wingspan is 65", the wingspan of the plane in the picture is 48".
914 Ranch
Hey Bud, My brothers favorite plane also. I gave him the Lightning for his birthday. Same scale as the Mustang in the picture above.
Picture of the full wingspan of the F-82.

Click to view attachment

Van914
Went to Luft 7 in Indy today. Great event!
euro911
Over the past few days, went through the shipping container to find some parts for a car I'm selling. Had to move a lot of tubs & crates around to get to them ... I could hardly walk from one end to the other dry.gif

Whilst doing so, found some other parts that I won't be using, so listed them in the classifieds - actually sold some of them too! aktion035.gif ... laugh.gif

In any event, I was able to re-arrange some of the shelves and can walk the entire length now rolleyes.gif

N/E:
Click to view attachment

N/W:
Click to view attachment

S/W:
Click to view attachment

S/E:
Click to view attachment

Now that I've got a better idea of where things are, will start thinning out the remaining parts and only keep what's needed shades.gif
euro911
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Sep 10 2021, 01:39 AM) *
Hey Bud, My brothers favorite plane also. I gave him the Lightning for his birthday. Same scale as the Mustang in the picture above.
Picture of the full wingspan of the F-82.

Click to view attachment
My wife accused me of reverting to a 12 year-old boy after I retired ... apparently because I bought a bunch of R/C toys - LOL
rhodyguy
WOW Mark.
914 Ranch
No progress on the 914 yet but.

Click to view attachment

The F-82 is coming along well.
Shivers
Looking good, Joe. I did my R/C before I got the 914. In the 70's I was a member of NAMBA and raced outrigger hydroplanes nitro-benzene 7.5cc . But the 80's came along and I needed a bigger toy I could fit in.
euro911
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 13 2021, 05:29 AM) *
Looking good, Joe. I did my R/C before I got the 914. In the 70's I was a member of NAMBA and raced outrigger hydroplanes nitro-benzene 7.5cc . But the 80's came along and I needed a bigger toy I could fit in.
Glad to hear it was NAMBA, not NAMBLA ... poke.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 14 2021, 03:35 PM) *

Lol, first time I read it I did a double take because I thought that is what it said.

That one "L" sure changes things.
rhodyguy
Had to replace 3 clay flue liners, re-lay 4 courses of stone and build up a new cap for our fireplace stack. A few days work, weather was perfect, and saved a nice stack of C-notes doing it myself.
Shivers
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 14 2021, 04:35 PM) *

Hahahahaha! I had to look it up. blink.gif
914 Ranch
Nothing has changed here but I have been making progress on the
F-82.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
because we decided to pull this out of a mates back yard where its been for 30+ years.
(said fuch the poleece, lockdowns etc, ----> essential worker stuff).

got it out to the workshop, still not sure why we bothered?
rather than push it off the trailer, our trusty mechanic figured it was easier to drive it off.

it started (or i should say he started it). still find it hard to believe.
a bit of starter fluid down the carbs, fired right up and blew smoke for about 15 seconds and then just ran. i don't think the timing was even out. valve adjustment might have been suss.

real loud out of the rusted out exhaust.
but it got driven in.

the guys in the shop opposite all came out and cheered.

volkswagens. beer.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 11 2021, 02:50 AM) *

because we decided to pull this out of a mates back yard where its been for 30+ years.
(said fuch the poleece, lockdowns etc, ----> essential worker stuff).

got it out to the workshop, still not sure why we bothered?
rather than push it off the trailer, our trusty mechanic figured it was easier to drive it off.

it started (or i should say he started it). still find it hard to believe.
a bit of starter fluid down the carbs, fired right up and blew smoke for about 15 seconds and then just ran. i don't think the timing was even out. valve adjustment might have been suss.

real loud out of the rusted out exhaust.
but it got driven in.

the guys in the shop opposite all came out and cheered.

volkswagens. beer.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Great save!
Root_Werks
914 still at the body shop providing a little time to fly.

ClayPerrine
Our last two weekends have been spent replacing shrubs in the gardens that were killed by last winter's snowmageddon. Got another weekend to go on that project.

But we did go to cars and coffee on Saturday, so the weekends have not been completely 914 free.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.