Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

57 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 36 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Didn't You do Anything to Your 914 Today?, or, What the Fuch is Keeping You From Working on it?
AZBanks
post May 9 2021, 12:51 AM
Post #661

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Did some more work getting ready to drop the engine and organized the part s for the new AC system I'm building.

Everything was going great until I realized my Tangerine engine plate won't fit my big jack. I need one of the plates that screws into a harbor freight jack.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 9 2021, 01:04 AM
Post #662

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Didn't work on the 914 today because we saw my oldest daughter graduate with her nursing degree and her younger sister graduate with her BS in Geology. Later, we had a BBQ with my wife's family for Mothers Day... TOMORROW I'm working on the car but today was a day of celebration!
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 9 2021, 08:23 AM
Post #663

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 9 2021, 12:04 AM) *

Didn't work on the 914 today because we saw my oldest daughter graduate with her nursing degree and her younger sister graduate with her BS in Geology. Later, we had a BBQ with my wife's family for Mothers Day... TOMORROW I'm working on the car but today was a day of celebration!

Congratulations Mike, great reasons not to work on your 914. Enjoy the day with your wife's family.

My youngest is graduating with her BS in Public Health in June. My own garage time has taken a hit as of late due to a crazy work schedule....

O
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 9 2021, 11:09 AM
Post #664

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

Went with a friend to pick up his "new" 914. He had one several years ago but sold it. Couldn't resist this one when it became available.

Not too bad in the rust department but hasn't been run in a couple years or so.
It's a '74 with 1.8 L-jet. Originally Olympic Blue.

Needs typical things after sitting for 3+ years - brake and fuel systems, most all seals, a good cleaning. Should be a fun project for him.

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 9 2021, 01:06 PM
Post #665

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 8 2021, 08:22 PM) *

Took the spyder to a local C&C this morning, and then went to a party for the PCA Scottsdale Treffen volunteers tonight.

Will be adjusting crank end play on the silver '71's engine tomorrow, so does that count??

NO! that does not count.

I heard there will be free beer tomorrow
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 10 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #666

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Up until today, been keeping busy with the (slow- paced) laundry room remodel and some plumbing/drain issues that have been bugging me for years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Before (the kludge one of my brothers concocted) ...

Attached Image

... and after (now tied in to the sewer line under the concrete walkway) ...

Attached Image

Also, the slow process of removing and leveling out dirt in the back yard so we can install some new sod ...

Attached Image

... and dealing with all the documents for selling our house in Payson AZ. We accepted a generous offer yesterday - more than we expected (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post May 10 2021, 05:50 PM
Post #667

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 10 2021, 04:33 PM) *

Up until today, been keeping busy with the (slow- paced) laundry room remodel and some plumbing/drain issues that have been bugging me for years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Before (the kludge one of my brothers concocted) ...

Attached Image

... and after (now tied in to the sewer line under the concrete walkway) ...

Attached Image

Also, the slow process of removing and leveling out dirt in the back yard so we can install some new sod ...

Attached Image

... and dealing with all the documents for selling our house in Payson AZ. We accepted a generous offer yesterday - more than we expected (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Backyard looks familiar. The Mrs and I are hunkering down for summer, selling would be one way to deal with the heat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 10 2021, 06:48 PM
Post #668

QUOTE(Shivers @ May 10 2021, 04:50 PM) *
Backyard looks familiar. The Mrs and I are hunkering down for summer, selling would be one way to deal with the heat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Summer months in Payson are quite nice - 5000' elevation ... typically 10~15° cooler than the general Phoenix area summer temps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post May 13 2021, 03:08 AM
Post #669

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

I was too far from the car. But I did see this 466' floating island moving around. The NORD.

Attached Image

BVI vacation, had a great time, donated my glasses to Neptune.
Home now and back to work on the AR.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 13 2021, 04:57 AM
Post #670

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 9 2021, 01:04 AM) *

Now that is good reason to Not work on your 914, ok enough is enough, get to work and make up lost time.

Congrats, those days make everything worth it
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 16 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #671

At a standstill with HOWARD at the moment ... need to grab an early front right strut assembly from my stash in AZ to get rolling again - so I can winch it up on a trailer and head to the body shop.

So ... I ordered a wood dash kit for my '66 912 ... although it won't get installed until after the restoration is almost completed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post May 16 2021, 12:36 PM
Post #672

Ooooo, 912. My neighbor bought a 60's 912 new. He loved that car. In 1976(77) he gives it to his 16 year old daughter. Fresh out of drivers education, she checks the oil with the dip stick, then goes looking for the place to check the coolant. She really did pull off the "710" cap and topped it off with H2O. My sister's friend.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 16 2021, 12:58 PM
Post #673

A co-worker purchase a new '66 912 when he was in the AF, stationed in Germany. Several years ago, he had a lot of work done to bring it back to a fresh condition, and was thinking about giving it to his 16-year old daughter.

I recommended that he not do that and buy her an inexpensive econo-box for her first car. He later thanked me, as he did buy her some sort of inexpensive import - and in no time at all, she smacked it up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post May 17 2021, 02:32 PM
Post #674

Member No.: 22,667

I met up with Clay and Betty down at Werk 11 in Temple, TX for a swap meet this past weekend. Saw a couple of 914s there. The orange one is an electric conversion. A couple stripped tubs behind the shop. I picked up a couple of parts, left some 914 parts for others to get.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then we got lunch at a great burger place and headed back to DFW. After that, it was over to Warren's house in the evening to go take a look at his 2056cc motor and help him decide where to go with his build.
+Quote Post
914e
post May 18 2021, 12:57 AM
Post #675

Member No.: 23,951

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 16 2021, 11:58 AM) *

A co-worker purchase a new '66 912 when he was in the AF, stationed in Germany. Several years ago, he had a lot of work done to bring it back to a fresh condition, and was thinking about giving it to his 16-year old daughter.

I recommended that he not do that and buy her an inexpensive econo-box for her first car. He later thanked me, as he did buy her some sort of inexpensive import - and in no time at all, she smacked it up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

My daughter spent 2-3 years restoring her 74 Beetle, I fear for the life of anyone that scratches her car.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post May 19 2021, 07:47 AM
Post #676

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I haven't ridden in a (or driven my) 914 in 12 YEARS! But helped my brother get his new-to-him 914 that's been sitting for 6 years started. Local guys will know the car and once we get it running well, will have to have a GTG etc. I have to say it's way easier to get an FI car up and running than a carb'd car that's been sitting for years.

So I've officially done more on my brother's car in a week than I have on mine since I took it apart for conversion and paint 7 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yikes, I'm the guy I didn't understand when I was a kid with a classic car in the garage buried under kid and family stuff. Maybe this will be the spark that gets mine back on track.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post May 19 2021, 12:45 PM
Post #677

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 19 2021, 08:47 AM) *

Yikes, I'm the guy I didn't understand when I was a kid with a classic car in the garage buried under kid and family stuff. Maybe this will be the spark that gets mine back on track.

I had that realization a few months ago too...it stung a little bit...

At the same time I realized why my dad always advised keeping closer to stock-when you have nearly no time to work the stock route is a whole lot quicker to fix.

QUOTE(914e @ May 18 2021, 01:57 AM) *

My daughter spent 2-3 years restoring her 74 Beetle, I fear for the life of anyone that scratches her car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) A few people asked my dad if it was really a good idea for a me to be driving a Porsche when younger and he used to say that too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 20 2021, 08:00 AM
Post #678

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Tempus fugit my friends......
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 22 2021, 10:19 PM
Post #679

Had another little mishap with my XT250. Originally, the fuel pump and fuel injector were gummed-up from old fuel, causing low PSI, so I started disassembling the f.i. system to see what was up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

In the interim, (won't go into detail) the bike fell over and bent the shifter mechanism, pushing it into the left side stator cover and causing an oil leak (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I removed the shift lever assembly, straightened out and repainted the bent shifter arm, then removed the side cover for evaluation.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thought it would be a good idea to make a little bolt holder so I get the correct length bolts back into the correct holes during reassembly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

... and snapped some additional images to help aid reassembly ...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I had taken it in to the local Yamaha dealership for a factory recall campaign, which they did on Yamaha's dime, but they estimated $1,500. to perform all other the repairs - so I decided to bring it home and do it myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Ordered a nice 'pre-owned' side cover on ebay ($49.), some gaskets & o-rings ($62.) and expect to cough up another approx $50. (depending on what I find wrong with the fuel pump assembly) to correct the low PSI issue, so hopefully I'll have this back up & running for a camping trip that's penciled-in for late June (???)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post May 23 2021, 12:36 AM
Post #680

I have to chuckle, Mark. I used to be able to throw all the bolts into one can, and they all went back where they belonged. Now I need written descriptions on the outside of individual ziplok bags and plastic containers. Not to mention the photo shoot I do with the canon during disassembly, that way the actual image is about 4 feet by 4 feet and on the laptop I can zoom in close. hehehe loving my titanium years
+Quote Post

57 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 07:41 PM